PDA

View Full Version : Increasing power in Chevy 1500

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
08-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey guys I have a 2006 Chevy 1500 and I was wondering how I can increase the power in it. Its a 5.3 L v-8. If i was to go up a hill with the trailer and consitatly press on the pedal it wont do anything then it will all of a sudden jump hard and gun it. I would like more towing power and a more consistant increase in speed if you know what im trying to say. Is there anything I can do? I want more power also so that I can pull a boat easier too.

Thanks!
Ryan

Davislawnservices
08-08-2010, 04:08 PM
A computer tune either handheld (Diablo, Superchip, etc) or a flash tune from Nelson Performance would do the trick. You will want to be carefull going hog wild on a tune when towing. There is a point where you will have more detonation (which can cause damage) if you set it up for the highest performance settings. Most handheld tuners have a "towing" tune that is easily programmed.

After that a cold air intake and cat-back exhaust will help out a tune, but will not do much on their own. With a computer or hand held tune you can even program the shift firmness and many other parameters. Good Luck.

michaelee2
08-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Go over to Performancetrucks.net and you can find all kinds of ways to make them stronger.

f50lvr2
08-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Does the truck have a tow/haul mode on it? I know on my ram 1500 it makes a big difference when in hilly areas. With it off the truck does the same thing and it takes a big prod on the throttle to get it to kick down. With tow mode on it shifts down quickly and easily pulls.

If you have enough power when the truck downshifts I wouldn't waste the money on a tuner and would just manually shift it down when approaching a hill and you will be fine.

unkownfl
08-08-2010, 04:52 PM
LS6 swap should make close to 400hp then...

thom
08-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Hey guys I have a 2006 Chevy 1500 and I was wondering how I can increase the power in it. Its a 5.3 L v-8. If i was to go up a hill with the trailer and consitatly press on the pedal it wont do anything then it will all of a sudden jump hard and gun it. I would like more towing power and a more consistant increase in speed if you know what im trying to say. Is there anything I can do? I want more power also so that I can pull a boat easier too.

Thanks!
Ryan

after you have installed the after market performance parts,would you please let us know the results.
I am going to say you will be disappointed,but I may be wrong.

michaelee2
08-08-2010, 05:04 PM
If you go with a tune get a nelson tune. He is the best on the chevys. Could also drop a 6.0 in it. That is what I am thinking of doing to my 1500

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
08-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Does the truck have a tow/haul mode on it? I know on my ram 1500 it makes a big difference when in hilly areas. With it off the truck does the same thing and it takes a big prod on the throttle to get it to kick down. With tow mode on it shifts down quickly and easily pulls.

If you have enough power when the truck downshifts I wouldn't waste the money on a tuner and would just manually shift it down when approaching a hill and you will be fine.

Yes i do have that switch. It seems to help with the sudden burst but it doesnt help with the steady increase in speed.

Davislawnservices
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Yes i do have that switch. It seems to help with the sudden burst but it doesnt help with the steady increase in speed.

The tow/haul mode only increases the shift points of the transmission, allowing it to remain in lower gears longer to get the vehicle moving....it doesn't increase engine power.
Posted via Mobile Device

whitebp1
08-08-2010, 09:58 PM
why spend the money on getting it faster and stronger... have you considered tradding for a diesel? if you do consider upgrade also consider to upgrade the braking system as well

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
10-04-2010, 05:13 AM
go deisel for torq you will never see in a gasser stock

h2oskier
10-05-2010, 12:50 AM
You ever thought about changing your rear gear ratio, it may help more than throwing alot of performance mods at it. Just a thought but i would tend to believe this would help you more.

MP350
10-05-2010, 05:46 PM
After you put in tow mode shift to 3rd gear. My 06 blew the tranny at 58,000 miles, shop called it a 4/3 burn out. Cost me $2800 to rebuild, shop told me to put it into 3rd when towing my trailer ( trailer loaded weights 3200 lbs) .