PDA

View Full Version : New Company Name And Our First Ever Logo!

Graveslawncare
08-08-2010, 09:45 PM
First draft of the new name and logo! I love it! There are some enhancements being made but this draft gives you a great idea of the direction it's headed :) Enjoy!

Green Finger
08-08-2010, 09:51 PM
what is your angle? think about it. First I believe in God(Jesus Christ). Are you a non-profit or for profit. that name carries a lot of weight.

you are dealing with the public and they can be brutal.

Graveslawncare
08-08-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm just a normal for-profit lawn care business. I'm a Christian, but that honestly had nothing to do with this idea. I have been thinking the idea over for 2 months now, as well as consulting with other people, and they love the name. It comes from the perfectly main-stream figure of speech like "what on God's green earth are you doing?" Since it's a main-stream saying and not a religious one, it shouldn't be a problem. It's catchy and professional imo and everyone else I have talked to about it says the same. It will be good for us.

Green Finger
08-08-2010, 10:08 PM
cool,

Short story: when i first started I would put Christian Own and Operated on my flyers. man people would assume that work was free, asking major discounts, and everything.... etc. I took that off my flyers. I do share my Faith when i talk to customers at times. But I inform them business, i'm in business to grow.

Go strong with that name if you use it.

JB1
08-08-2010, 10:13 PM
as long as you like it, but I don't, but what the heck its yours.

Graveslawncare
08-08-2010, 10:15 PM
as long as you like it, but I don't, but what the heck its yours.

The name or the logo?

punt66
08-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Not a good idea. Sorry.

03twenty500hd
08-08-2010, 10:20 PM
not a good idea at all.....

SHOF
08-08-2010, 10:20 PM
^ Agreed. I don't think it is a good idea.

Graveslawncare
08-08-2010, 10:31 PM
I need solid reasons guys. I'm not sure how all my customers like it and you guys are so critical, but I'm listening if you have anything constructive to offer. If it's just because it has God in it, get over it, this is America.

kodak mowing
08-08-2010, 10:34 PM
no offense but i dont like it either,most lawn company names are very catchy easy to remember,but again its your biz and as long as you like it,thats all that matters,good luck.i worked 8 days a week last year so this year i draw the line on 6 but some time 7 is a must.

93Chevy
08-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Omg, how could you do that? You're surely going to ruin your business and you'll be living in a refrigerator box the rest of your life because nobody will ever hire you after that atrocity.

SHOF
08-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Personally I don't think it is catchy or flashy at all. I think it will drive customers away when they can go with a more professional name. It is just not classy or professional in my opinion.

bobcat48
08-08-2010, 11:32 PM
Looks good,something diffrent.

DJJS
08-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Why not shoot yourself in the foot while you're at it...

rockerchris
08-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Not to be critical, but I think your headed down the wrong path with that business name. You are going to "turn off" many people, they may think your just preachy. At the same time you are never going to make everyone happy.

From a marketing standpoint though it could be dynamite. You are trying to link your service with god (is this a sin?). It is almost as genius as being able to connect your brand with patriotism. Which at least here in Canada has been used quite often recently (ex. Molson Canadian, NIKE).

Let me know how it works out!

jntaylor
08-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Personally, I would never use 'God' in a business name. You really should consider taking a secular approach only because you are limiting yourself to just Christians and missing out on other potential customers.

Suppose I was atheist, I would never name my business 'Agnostic Lawn Care' Just food for thought.:rolleyes:

http://frontierlawn.net

flatlander42
08-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Looks good to me. Lots of God-Nay-Sayers out there that would shy away....but there is also a large amount of Strong Christians that may be looking for a guy like you. Hope your area is ok with it.

Glenn Lawn Care
08-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Some Abu Dabi prolly would not like it, cuz every one prays to a different god!

EvansLandscapeCo
08-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Well I like it. I know you have had a few negative comments or personal opinions but hey, whats important is that you like it, you are proud to wear it and you can grow with this company.

I agree that using the word "GOD" can be a risky call, but thats a call we all need to make. my name is jason EVANS. my company is EVANS landscape company. a lot of us use our names in our company name. is it not the same as using GOD's name?

Good luck to you in the future. I think its a great name. Be proud of whatever you decide. Bobs plowing or Roberts snow removal service.....they are the same thing. your price will be the same. your service will be the same...the only difference is the name.

cheers.
jay

punt66
08-09-2010, 03:13 PM
Well I like it. I know you have had a few negative comments or personal opinions but hey, whats important is that you like it, you are proud to wear it and you can grow with this company.

I agree that using the word "GOD" can be a risky call, but thats a call we all need to make. my name is jason EVANS. my company is EVANS landscape company. a lot of us use our names in our company name. is it not the same as using GOD's name?

Good luck to you in the future. I think its a great name. Be proud of whatever you decide. Bobs plowing or Roberts snow removal service.....they are the same thing. your price will be the same. your service will be the same...the only difference is the name.

cheers.
jay

WHAT? ahahah Are you a religion? Why not call it "Republican Tea Party Lawn care"? Its a business. Not a personal belief. Your limiting your potential with such insane names.

fl-landscapes
08-09-2010, 04:37 PM
I need solid reasons guys. I'm not sure how all my customers like it and you guys are so critical, but I'm listening if you have anything constructive to offer. If it's just because it has God in it, get over it, this is America.

Didnt read all the replies but I dont like it either. You say it is from an old saying "what on gods green earth" are you doing. I've heard the saying but never for a second thought of it when I read your logo. First thought was either bible thumper or someone using the religious angle as a scam to get religious customers. Like others said it's your company your logo so if you like it great. but I dont. By the way your getting a first hand review of your logo in this thread.....figure the percenatge of negative to positive response right here and it may not be far off from the public view. Just a smaller sampling

Lefet
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I would have to agree with the majority. I believe you would be limiting your possible potential. Even though your intentions may not be to be preachy or whatever, there will be those that will ASSUME you will, and pass. I would also have to take into consideration those who I discussed it with. Are they in business also? The same business? Or do they just share the same perspective as you and desire to see you happy? I can't tell you what to do or not, but I would say there was some pretty good advice given by fl-landscapes:

"figure the percenatge of negative to positive response right here and it may not be far off from the public view. Just a smaller sampling"

All you're doing is giving someone the ability to obtain a preconceived notion of who they THINK you are, before you even open your mouth.

Autoflow
08-10-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm not a fan.
Why not just have Green Earth instead of Gods Green Earth? I know as an atheist I would not call someone with that name as I would assume they would be preaching. There is a lot of competition in this industry and you will alieanate all but the Christian clients when they are looking for someone to do some work for them, which could see you struggle to build your business. The Clients you do get may also think you will look after them so it will be a constant battle for you to grow.

T-Made
08-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Your customers might not want to hurt your feelings. Use this in your motto some way.

Graveslawncare
08-11-2010, 11:50 AM
For the record, some of you guys took this too far and are just plain jerks. However, some of you gave good constructive reasoning and I really appreciate that. To be honest, this name was not written in stone when I posted it. I wanted this to be part of my market research and I got a lot of good feedback from you guys and I appreciate it.

I was iffy at first because the guy who is designing my logo is an athiest, and when I told him the kind of feedback I was getting on here and that I was probably going to change it he tried to talk me out of changing it because he loves the name so much. But I went on and argued that the bottom line is that I don't want my company name to insight this kind of controversy before a customer ever even meets me or my crew.

All that said I think I am leaning toward naming it:

Green Earth
Lawn & Landscape

I think a few of you suggested this and the idea has grown on me. I had a brainstorming session by myself and with a couple of other people and haven't been able to come up with anything better. I like "Green Earth," so we will rework the logo around and as soon as I have another update I will post it. It has really been coming along. Thanks for the feedback.

bc3xx0
08-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Green Earth
Lawn & Landscape

I think a few of you suggested this and the idea has grown on me. I had a brainstorming session by myself and with a couple of other people and haven't been able to come up with anything better. I like "Green Earth," so we will rework the logo around and as soon as I have another update I will post it. It has really been coming along. Thanks for the feedback.

And join the millions with that company name already!!! Google it!!

Graveslawncare
08-11-2010, 12:36 PM
I did. No Lawn & Landscape Co's with that name anywhere near my area that I could find. It will work well for my business. I have already made peace with the fact that I will never please every one of you with any name I pick. This one shouldnt be controversial and the name fits my company. Those are the main 2 things. You guys won't be convinced until you get used to that being our name and you have seen us grow and be successful over a long period of time.

punt66
08-11-2010, 06:48 PM
For the record, some of you guys took this too far and are just plain jerks. However, some of you gave good constructive reasoning and I really appreciate that. To be honest, this name was not written in stone when I posted it. I wanted this to be part of my market research and I got a lot of good feedback from you guys and I appreciate it.

I was iffy at first because the guy who is designing my logo is an athiest, and when I told him the kind of feedback I was getting on here and that I was probably going to change it he tried to talk me out of changing it because he loves the name so much. But I went on and argued that the bottom line is that I don't want my company name to insight this kind of controversy before a customer ever even meets me or my crew.

Green Earth
Lawn & Landscape

Much better!!!!!

nepatsfan
08-11-2010, 08:23 PM
What about Darwins Green Earth

Green Finger
08-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Pray about it. without being too "preachy". If God gave you that name. USE IT DUDE!
Will you be a target? yes!, will you get a lot of calls? yes, will some not call? no they will not.

But....

At the end of the day your name can be "cheese balls lawn service" If you don't do good work you will not get any work. (everyone agrees on this)

Hey if you dont' use it I might change my name.

remember this TGIF.

Stands for: Thank GOD it's Friday. alot of people eat at those spots.:nono:

Sometimes in business u have to go against the grain.

Graveslawncare
08-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Pray about it. without being too "preachy". If God gave you that name. USE IT DUDE!
Will you be a target? yes!, will you get a lot of calls? yes, will some not call? no they will not.

But....

At the end of the day your name can be "cheese balls lawn service" If you don't do good work you will not get any work. (everyone agrees on this)

Hey if you dont' use it I might change my name.

remember this TGIF.

Stands for: Thank GOD it's Friday. alot of people eat at those spots.:nono:

Sometimes in business u have to go against the grain.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, man. Nice to see someone making some sense. I appreciate the input :)

Graveslawncare
08-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Here is the update. I LOVE it :)

I will post the actual file instead of a pic of a computer screen as soon as it is all done. It won't change much from this, just making a few subtle adjustments here and there Thumbs Up

M RASCOE&SONS
08-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Here is the update. I LOVE it :)

I will post the actual file instead of a pic of a computer screen as soon as it is all done. It won't change much from this, just making a few subtle adjustments here and there Thumbs Up

much better

Runner
08-13-2010, 03:28 PM
I agree. Stay away from the exploitation of God's name for the sake of a company name. Remember the commandment: Thou shalt not use the Lord's name in vein. This would be doing exactly that.
\Also, incidentally, to the poster that mentioned TGIF...If you call the corporate offices, they will tell you their stance is Thank GOODNESS It's Friday...

Graveslawncare
08-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Well, here is the finished logo! I LOVE the look, on both black and white. Now I just gotta figure out all the stuff I gotta do to get my co's name changed with the IRS and the State and all that. I think it's gonna be a good banner for us all to work under :weightlifter:

yardguy28
08-15-2010, 04:10 PM
it might be to late to give you my opinion of it since there's already 4 pages and i only read the first page......

i think the name NEEDS to be changed. i read why you put the name GOD in there but i still think people will tie it to religion. i think most people tie anything with the name GOD to religion, myself included. you might loose current business and loose future business being associated with a religion. people are very critical about religion. i know i'm not a fan of those "push it in your face" religious people. the sign kinda is "push it in your face" i think......

yep to late.....should of read through to page 4.......:hammerhead:

Graveslawncare
08-15-2010, 05:37 PM
it might be to late to give you my opinion of it since there's already 4 pages and i only read the first page......

i think the name NEEDS to be changed. i read why you put the name GOD in there but i still think people will tie it to religion. i think most people tie anything with the name GOD to religion, myself included. you might loose current business and loose future business being associated with a religion. people are very critical about religion. i know i'm not a fan of those "push it in your face" religious people. the sign kinda is "push it in your face" i think......

yep to late.....should of read through to page 4.......:hammerhead:

What do you mean it's too late? I DID change the name....its now just 'Green Earth.' Did you look at the 2 finished logos right above your post?

Autoflow
08-15-2010, 07:46 PM
The logo looks excellent.
Good decision to drop God out of the name too.

eatonpcat
08-15-2010, 08:33 PM
I like it...Good job

yardguy28
08-15-2010, 10:02 PM
What do you mean it's too late? I DID change the name....its now just 'Green Earth.' Did you look at the 2 finished logos right above your post?

i meant to late to tell you my opinion. after i hit submit it took me to page 4 where i see you did omit the word GOD.......

Lefet
08-16-2010, 08:35 AM
Great job! Looks fantastic. Kudos to you for asking and then LISTENING/HEEDING constructive criticsm.

yardguy28
08-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Great job! Looks fantastic. Kudos to you for asking and then LISTENING/HEEDING constructive criticsm.

yes constructive criticsm is something to listen to and sometimes heed but......

too many on here aren't constructive with there criticsm and purhaps i've been guilty of it myself.

it's sort of a pet peeve of mine. i will listen to opinions/constructive criticsm but i will ignore negativity 100% of the time. even though someone might be trying to give me advice through that negativity i will ignore it.

i'm sure i might sound like a hipocrit by saying this and i'm sure i'm guilty of not taking my own advice at times and i'm working on that all the time but if can't say something in a nice way or constructive way don't say it at all......

Runner
08-16-2010, 12:23 PM
It's not very often that we see a logo quite like this type. Here is what I mean. I looks as good on a white background, as it does a black...and THAT's even with white LETTERS in it...strange. Now we've seen many logos that are close in comparison, and people have done polls on what others like, and many have even commented on how close it is in making a decision between some. But this, is different because you're talking about a totally different contrast - but with the same logo. They both look great, and you would think that like with white letters, the white background would take away from it or something, - but it doesn't. Anyway, Nice job,...it looks great, and here's to hoping for great success with it!:drinkup:

Graveslawncare
08-16-2010, 12:51 PM

yes constructive criticsm is something to listen to and sometimes heed but......

too many on here aren't constructive with there criticsm and purhaps i've been guilty of it myself.

it's sort of a pet peeve of mine. i will listen to opinions/constructive criticsm but i will ignore negativity 100% of the time. even though someone might be trying to give me advice through that negativity i will ignore it.

i'm sure i might sound like a hipocrit by saying this and i'm sure i'm guilty of not taking my own advice at times and i'm working on that all the time but if can't say something in a nice way or constructive way don't say it at all......

It's not very often that we see a logo quite like this type. Here is what I mean. I looks as good on a white background, as it does a black...and THAT's even with white LETTERS in it...strange. Now we've seen many logos that are close in comparison, and people have done polls on what others like, and many have even commented on how close it is in making a decision between some. But this, is different because you're talking about a totally different contrast - but with the same logo. They both look great, and you would think that like with white letters, the white background would take away from it or something, - but it doesn't. Anyway, Nice job,...it looks great, and here's to hoping for great success with it!:drinkup:

Thanks for all the kudos guys! Yardguy, I definitely agree with you on the "constructive criticism" vs. "negativity." I'm the same way.

And Runner, thanks for the positive feedback on the logo! A good friend of mine that I work with at the tv station designed it and then we worked on it together several times to arrive at the finished product. We are both hard-wired for this kind of stuff, which is why we work in tv lol. I agree, even though a ton of time and thought went into getting the finished product, we were thrilled to see that it looked just as good on white as it did on black. We designed it on black because I'm going to have all my trucks black, but it also needed to look good on white for invoices, estimates, emails, business cards, etc.

Anyways, thanks for the pats on the back guys, it feels good to arrive at something that everybody likes :drinkup: :clapping: Thumbs Up

clean_cut
08-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Well, here is the finished logo! I LOVE the look, on both black and white. Now I just gotta figure out all the stuff I gotta do to get my co's name changed with the IRS and the State and all that. I think it's gonna be a good banner for us all to work under :weightlifter:

I think it looks really good, I guess I'm into details or something, but...

-I suppose that green is suppose to be a lawn, with the sprinklers in it and all, but I don't know if I wouldn't change it into a leaf or something. I don't really like the sharp square edges.

-It took me a long time until I figured out that the blue lines were sprinklers, I thought they were just lasers or something until I looked into the grass where there were some sprinkler heads, I might try putting some blue/white spray/drops at the end of the water stream to make it look more like water (I especially didn't notice it on the copy with the black background

-Do you do hardscaping; patios, walkways and such? From looking at your logo it seems like you might, the brick behind landscape just reminds me of a walkway or something, I'm not sure if you could make it more landscape oriented, I can't really think of any ways right now.

Sorry for being picky about the minor details, it looks great as it is though, if you like it, I would stick with it!

About the name though, I'm not sure if having religion in your name would be good or bad, but I wouldn't try and use God or being a Christian to get customers. If you do your best to act professional, and act like Jesus, your customers shouldn't even have to ask you if you're a Christian.

GreenT
08-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Nothing wrong with "Green" :)

One of the nicest logo I've seen. Good job sir. Thumbs Up

Graveslawncare
08-17-2010, 12:20 AM
I think it looks really good, I guess I'm into details or something, but...

-I suppose that green is suppose to be a lawn, with the sprinklers in it and all, but I don't know if I wouldn't change it into a leaf or something. I don't really like the sharp square edges.

-It took me a long time until I figured out that the blue lines were sprinklers, I thought they were just lasers or something until I looked into the grass where there were some sprinkler heads, I might try putting some blue/white spray/drops at the end of the water stream to make it look more like water (I especially didn't notice it on the copy with the black background

-Do you do hardscaping; patios, walkways and such? From looking at your logo it seems like you might, the brick behind landscape just reminds me of a walkway or something, I'm not sure if you could make it more landscape oriented, I can't really think of any ways right now.

Sorry for being picky about the minor details, it looks great as it is though, if you like it, I would stick with it!

About the name though, I'm not sure if having religion in your name would be good or bad, but I wouldn't try and use God or being a Christian to get customers. If you do your best to act professional, and act like Jesus, your customers shouldn't even have to ask you if you're a Christian.

-It's not supposed to look exactly like a lawn. It's supposed to REPRESENT a lawn. As far as the shape, personal preference I guess, but leaves and stuff like that just seem too cliche to me. I wanted it to look different, so we came up with a custom shape.

-The sprinklers were meant to be subtle and highlights, not really in your face. Again, just personal preferance I think, but I don't think we will add anything to them because we are trying to keep it simple and sleek.

-Yes, I do pavers and hardscapes. That was the idea of filling that space with pavers.

I appreciate your attention to detail and your comments! Thanks buddy

Graveslawncare
08-17-2010, 12:22 AM

Nothing wrong with "Green" :)

One of the nicest logo I've seen. Good job sir. Thumbs Up

Thanks pal, I appreciate it :drinkup: