PDA

View Full Version : Walker/back pain

ipm
08-01-2002, 11:57 PM
I have been using Walker mowers for 12 years or so and have noticed that the new model has changed the hand controls a bit. I only have about 300 hrs on the new machine, but left side of my back hurts like hell and was wondering if anyone else has this problem.

Ax Man
08-02-2002, 08:02 AM
Adjust the levers yet?
If your steering levers are too far ahead, that could cause some imbalance in the old spine.
I did considerable tweaking to my Walker this spring when I started putting the hour to it.
(350 so far)
I eased the tension on the forward speed control. That made my right hand feel better.
Adjusted the traction control levers for proper distance.
(I'm a short stepper)
I wouldn't sell this machine for anything now.
And I cant wait to try the 29hp liquid cooled/fuel injected model!
Good luck!

Brickman
08-02-2002, 10:31 AM
Mine hurt most of the time. I chalked this up to the stiff suspension and the rough lawns I was mowing. Now I wonder.

olfrt
08-02-2002, 04:06 PM
If adjusting the handles doesn't solve the problem. what tire pressure are you running??

try 15 lbs or a little less to let your tires act as shocks to asorb more of the shock load

Hope you feel better

They have a gray confort seat available also. It's not cheap but I like mine it has about 4 inch thick foam on the bottom cushion.

:blob1:

ipm
08-02-2002, 08:27 PM
Hey thanks for the help. I do have the hand controls pulled back as far as they will go, air pressure reasonable. I think it is the design. Don't get me wrong Walker has an awesome machine. I guess if you sat in the same position for hours on end you will have problems. It is not so much the terrain, it is the way your upper body is turned to the right and left shoulder down. Today I tried driving it with both hands(hoping to straighten my posture) very difficult. I guess I will just have to deal with it.

captdevo
08-02-2002, 10:57 PM
get extended steering levers walker # 5453-11 or have yours extended, they started making these for taller people and for use with the higher suspension seat.

also, i've had customers add a nut and all-thread to the FSC (forward speed control) arm to extend the knob height a couple inches.

btw..... the new comfort seat, which is black cordura (cardhart material) is the best on the market, worth the $$

Doc Pete
08-02-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by ipm
I have been using Walker mowers for 12 years or so and have noticed that the new model has changed the hand controls a bit. I only have about 300 hrs on the new machine, but left side of my back hurts like hell and was wondering if anyone else has this problem.

Sorry to hear that. It's nothing new, just the pitfall of a rider. 10/15 years is when it shows up in a "normal" guy. However, there are people that never get back problems, but for normal guy's it's part of riding.
Unless you must bag, since the walker is so slow, I'd try a WB and velky, or things will eventually get worse. Again, not everyone runs into problems, but many do, and just accept it.
Pete

yardboyltd
08-02-2002, 11:43 PM
whoa whoa, lets not jump to this again... not all riders have a rough ride..... I'd be more prone to back injury working in my old job lifting heavy boxes, or maybe even sitting in a chair all day.

If your ride is jolty, make sure you don't slouch. My ride is very good. I find myself wanting to relax and slouch like in a chair, but I make it a point to keep myself straight up in good posture.

Doc Pete
08-03-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by yardboyltd
whoa whoa, lets not jump to this again... not all riders have a rough ride..... I'd be more prone to back injury working in my old job lifting heavy boxes, or maybe even sitting in a chair all day.

If your ride is jolty, make sure you don't slouch. My ride is very good. I find myself wanting to relax and slouch like in a chair, but I make it a point to keep myself straight up in good posture.

Not to argue, but to just offer facts and common sense.
Riders go over rough ground, without any suspension, and have no means for the operator to stabilize themselves (steering wheel, etc.), other than to tense their back and neck muscles to keep from moving forward or back from acceleration and deceleration. Itís a fact of physics. Why do you think every "off road" machine has "miles" of suspension travel, besides, stabilize and support the operator every way possible. They must know something.
Yes, we can leave out the Ferris, and suspension seats only cushion up and down movement. However, the normal twin stick ZTR, by its nature should have something to stabilize the operator.
True, back problems donít happen to everyone, but like smoking, you are exposing yourself to a dangerous situation. Just ask any Doctor, Chiropractor, Sports medical Doctor, or Physical therapist, what is the worse thing for your backÖÖ.. Sitting and being bounced about.
Pete

yardboyltd
08-03-2002, 01:03 AM
Yea that's just facts and common sense.. I agree, if you have back problems, you should try a stander or sulkey. In fact you shouldn't be riding anything...

I had a back problem a few years ago. Pinched nerve in my lower back. A very sheering pain, and sharp, sometimes breathtaking. Lasted on and off for two years

I just know what a STRONG proponent you are of walkbehinds, especially Hustlers. :) It's a good perspective to have on lots of issues.

I just feel there are much larger factors in life that affect future back pain. If a person feels a rider best suites there requirements and can take on the responsibilites, I say go for it. Riders have their place... even if you disagree on where.

But please, NO more wb vs. ZTR unless there's some new unfound fact to contribute... A businessman should be in good enough judgement to figure out what he needs.

yardboyltd
08-03-2002, 01:06 AM
I think the worst thing for your back is bad posture or bad lifting techniques.

Doc Pete
08-03-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by yardboyltd

I just feel there are much larger factors in life that affect future back pain. If a person feels a rider best suites there requirements and can take on the responsibilites, I say go for it. Riders have their place... even if you disagree on where.

I couldn't agree more. At the moment I thinking of a cheap rider, just for leaf cleanup and those 1 or 2 lawns that need bagging. Yeah, me of all people;) Actually, a steady diet of anything ain't good, that's why I still try to walk some lawns, regardless.
OH and one big back pain you didn't mention was the "X":D
But, in my case, my lovely wife is worth her weight in gold and I'll never get rid of her.............
Pete

olfrt
08-03-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by captdevo

btw..... the new comfort seat, which is black cordura (cardhart material) is the best on the market, worth the $$ [/B]

The one I have is gray it's the comfort seat. the suspension seat is black. Is their a new comfort seat available?

The part number I got was 6103-5

captdevo
08-03-2002, 08:50 PM
available last fall, replaced the old gray ones. same part#

http://www.rpm-co.com/images/seat.jpg

ipm
08-03-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by captdevo
get extended steering levers walker # 5453-11 or have yours extended, they started making these for taller people and for use with the higher suspension seat.

also, i've had customers add a nut and all-thread to the FSC (forward speed control) arm to extend the knob height a couple inches.

btw..... the new comfort seat, which is black cordura (cardhart material) is the best on the market, worth the $$

Right on!! That is exactly what I need. That would lift my left arm up, in return straightening my back. Thank you:)

Ax Man
08-03-2002, 11:11 PM
See if it can go up and back, That should really help.