PDA

View Full Version : Helper fail!

beachtownlawnservice
08-09-2010, 02:23 AM
So this guy asked me for a part time job, said he wanted some extra work and anything could help blah,blah,blah, seemed like a good guy, 31yr old. so i figured i would help him out. i had a light day the next day (10 yards and a mulch job) told him id pick him up at 7:30 am. I show up at his house and he wearing shorts, tennis shoes and a t-shirt on, I say " Hey you might wanna put on some pants, long sleeve shirt, and grab a hat, the sun aint no punk ya know" its 100`degrees here in tx right now. He says "nah,nah,nah im alright i cut grass in this all the time". Ok??? so off to work we go. First few yards hes hustling trying to impress, doing good, im thinking cool were rocking and rolling. next couple of yards hes hugging the water cooler,slowing down starting to get sun beat. get to the 7th yard and hes done! DONE DONE!! slowed way down. Im looking around and hes gone??? I go around the side of the house and hes hugging a tree voimiting. Needless to say i had to take him home, stopping every few blocks so he can puke some more. so i knock out the rest of the yards by myself. I called him that evening to check up on him and tell him i have more work the next day, what time he wanted me to pick him up:laugh:. he didnt answer my call or return my voicemail. so im thinking sh$t i hope i didnt kill him??. Tonight i took the wife and kids for ice cream and on our way home i see him in his truck next to us at the stop light. So i honk and i wave, he acted like he didnt see me??? My wife said "I dont think he wants to cut grass anymore":laugh:

grassman177
08-09-2010, 07:08 AM
sounds like every onther guy that thinks they actually want a job! the country is full of total losers

punt66
08-09-2010, 07:31 AM
sounds like every onther guy that thinks they actually want a job! the country is full of total losers

The guy tried untill the point he was vomiting. He was embarrased. I wouldnt call him a total loser. Maybe he isnt cut out for the heat. I am a hard working yankee and i am sure the southern heat would do me in.

nepatsfan
08-09-2010, 07:43 AM
The guy tried untill the point he was vomiting. He was embarrased. I wouldnt call him a total loser. Maybe he isnt cut out for the heat. I am a hard working yankee and i am sure the southern heat would do me in.

Seriously...worked until he puked repeatedly. That guy has a job with me. That is very serious but come on..the guy was trying. Also, you make fun of him but I'm sure he was working much harder than you. He was probably running around with a trimmer not riding on a mower and didnt give up until he puked.

Richard Martin
08-09-2010, 08:10 AM
I took my future son-in-law with me this past Thursday because he just got laid off from his job and he was bored. By about the 3rd job of the day he was sweat from head to toe. By the 5th job he was moving slow as could be. That was also my last job of the day. When we got done I asked him how he'd like to do that all day long by himself like I do. He looked at me and said "No way". He couldn't hardly believe that I didn't stack the jobs just because he was with me. BTW, 3 of these jobs were large ones.

fl-landscapes
08-09-2010, 08:43 AM

maybe he should have listened when the boss told him to wear some clothes that might protect him from the sun.....did work until he puked....not bad.

AI Inc
08-09-2010, 08:49 AM
Screw that, shorts and a tank top for me.

punt66
08-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Screw that, shorts and a tank top for me.

yup, i am with you. No way i would dress in long clothes.

fl-landscapes
08-09-2010, 09:12 AM
yup, i am with you. No way i would dress in long clothes.

Punt I am not being rude in anyway but didnt you mention you have cancer? Are you not worried about the sun on your skin every day? Long sleeve shirts and pants for me everyday. Stay cooler that way too.

punt66
08-09-2010, 09:20 AM
punt i am not being rude in anyway but didnt you mention you have cancer? Are you not worried about the sun on your skin every day? Long sleeve shirts and pants for me everyday. Stay cooler that way too.

sun block...........

fl-landscapes
08-09-2010, 09:28 AM
sun block...........

I guess if you apply it enough. I put it on exposed areas like ears face and hands.

2brothersyardcare
08-09-2010, 10:06 AM
ive started wearing jeans again and its not bad

punt66
08-09-2010, 10:13 AM
I guess if you apply it enough. I put it on exposed areas like ears face and hands.

i dont have a choice. I get over heated with long clothes. I have the worst farmer tan. hahah One time we went over seas on vacation and stayed at this resort on a island. Amazing pllace. Anyway, my wife had a brightt idea that i should wear a tank top. So I did. But as a force of habit i only put sunblock on my arms up to the point of a tee shirt sleeve like always! uggg. Third degree burns on my shoulders and upper arms! I was a fricken mess.

fl-landscapes
08-09-2010, 10:32 AM
i dont have a choice. I get over heated with long clothes. I have the worst farmer tan. hahah One time we went over seas on vacation and stayed at this resort on a island. Amazing pllace. Anyway, my wife had a brightt idea that i should wear a tank top. So I did. But as a force of habit i only put sunblock on my arms up to the point of a tee shirt sleeve like always! uggg. Third degree burns on my shoulders and upper arms! I was a fricken mess.

Like a said I cover up every day and work outside in florida....no farmers tan. Then I visit family in boston in july and take the harleys for a 150 mile ride in a t-shirt no sun block......worst farmers tan ever!!!

beachtownlawnservice
08-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I give him a A+ for effort. he just wasn't cut out for cutting grass.I'm a good judge of character he came in with good intentions wanting to work, But mowing in the heat wasn't his cup of tea.He didn't answer his phone or acknowledge me at the stop light wasn't because he was embarrassed, the work was to much for him.its I'm starting to believe its a generational thing.. the young rookies that have been hired at the fire station the last few years have no work ethic.Don't really care about the job, they just want the title of being a fireman ,a pension and a paycheck. same thing with this guy, he wanted to make money but didn't care about the job or what it actually involved . and when he found out what it was like, he gave up. he worked himself to the point of exhaustion was his fault. i provide 2 different types of Gatorade,water, pb&j sandwiches,granola bars,wet towels, a ac truck and i don't get on peoples case about sitting under a tree and taking a break. Hell i do it..He should have listened to me about wearing the proper clothing for the job. I wear long sleeve lightweight fishing shirts with vents, they are made for being out in the sun. i actually stay cool almost cold in 100 degree heat at high noon."no joke" i wear a huge straw hat, long pants and a ton of sun block. don't get me wrong i sweat my butt off but the sweat keeps me cool. He seemed like a good guy. and my post wasnt a attempt to slam him. Im just realizing my dad was right all along, "they don't make um like they use to"

Richard Martin
08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I dress just like this guy every day. In fact, I am this guy.

DitchDr
08-09-2010, 01:25 PM
If your weedeating you living room I think you might have a moisture problem.

Charles
08-09-2010, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't have let him try and cut that many yards his first day. That was your mistake. I don't care if he thought he could do it, if he had no experience in commercial grass cutting. You have to let them get into volume grass cutting shape. Very strenuous, work and then you throw in the heat and humidity. Maybe do 3 or 4 yards a day the first week. 5 yards a day the next week. See how they feel and go from there.
T-shirt and Jeans here in SC. Heat and humidity don't bother me all that much. I wouldn't even think about it if customers wouldn't say I am crazy for working out in it:laugh:

vaacutabove
08-09-2010, 08:57 PM

I did the same thing last year aug got married in jamaca. all the pic's have sun glasses tan shirt and sock tan the wife still bitches bout the pics a year later

kodak mowing
08-09-2010, 09:56 PM
cutoff sleeves for me and short i never burn just a slight tan,i also have the same problem with help and yeah i stackem tight when i have help cuse if i can doit in ten hours with help should be done in 5 hours so why not stick a few more in the route

tallrick
08-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Shorts are dumb for cutting grass or weedeating, better to have your legs out of the sun and pants hang down, not weigh you down like a shirt does. I get hot from clothing above the waist, and long sleeves are horrible. As soon as I put a long sleeve shirt on I start sweating, then I carry the weight of sweat all day and get mean heat rashes. A cut-off shirt is the best because it doesn't trap all that heat and can be worn under a button down shirt when you try and impress someone. If I work too fast outside I also feel like throwing up but never have had it happen because I take it easy before that point.

JTlawns2
08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
You said this guy got laid off. What was his original job?

beachtownlawnservice
08-11-2010, 10:21 PM
He was just a basic laborer ,construction,painting,ect..

dunk50
08-11-2010, 10:49 PM

I for one am impressed. I am kind of on the old side of life, the downhill slide if you will. I always find it funny that when you see a commercial on TV for a furnace repair or termite service etc. etc they are all wearing uniforms. You call them and they show up looking likes rejects from a biker bash!! Just sayin, looking like a professional can't hurt can it!!!

clydebusa
08-11-2010, 10:54 PM
ive started wearing jeans again and its not bad

You wearing jeans is not bad for me, I will wear shorts, tried the long paints light colored light fabric, nearly died, or what I like to say is nuclear melt down.

Texas Lawn
08-13-2010, 11:41 AM
jeans and a t-shirt is the way to go. Legs stay protected when weed eating and upper body stays cool because of the t-shirt. Ive never felt my legs getting hot but if I wear a long sleeve, the upper body does. Usually wear a hat too

georgiagrass
08-18-2010, 03:16 AM
Not surprising that someone who is not used to the heat has a hard time with it the first week or so. The second week is the real test. By then, they should be getting the hang of it. We get some guys who will wear nothing but long pants and long sleeved shirts. A lot of Latinos feel this way. Most of our guys, however, prefer shorts and a tee shirt, same as me.

newjerseylandscaping
11-16-2010, 01:19 AM

Looked at this pick and had to laugh that you were in the house, even alowed in the house with your equipment lol also i pictured you weed wacking a shag carpet.

Cajun Cleanin'
11-16-2010, 02:32 AM
I can't hate on the guy if he worked until he puked.You know it takes a while to get to the point of working,real working in the heat all day.I would say when guys work with me I work em hard because as the owner I want toget it knocked out and keep costs down.I would say you could put that same guy on a crew and he would work out as there are very few guys that are going to work as hard as the owner.I whr shorts and company t shirts 50/50 light gray.They get wet but dry really quick.

Wayne 55
11-17-2010, 08:55 AM
If you like his work ethic and think he could help you out then stop over and talk with him. He was in heat stress a serious condition which could kill him. As Landscapers we get acustomed to the heat and work with it. Setting a pace so you can go all day long and not burn out by afternoon. I am from the northern states and we rarely see 100 deg days like you see in the south but even with that we do see many days in the 90s. I agree with the long light weight clothing as I practice this myself after years of running around in shorts and at times no shirt. Under doctors advice I cooked my skin to a crisp and now I got a little wiser to the suns effects. This guy wants to try, he just needs to be guided along the way. If he decides to come back talk to him about setting a pace during the heat of the day and see where it goes. He might just end up being a great worker for you.