PDA

View Full Version : Planning the fall seed purchase:

KirbysLawn
08-02-2002, 02:11 AM
Just wondering what you are planning on using for your fall seeding applications. For the past 5 years I have used Lesco transition blend & Tri-Gold blends with very good results. I usually pay around $48 for a 50 pound bag, and around $60 I think for the Tri-Gold certified blue label seed.

I got a call from Shemins Nursery today, they will have Winning Colors blend (blue label certified) at $39 for 50 pounds, will save me around $1k so it may be worth it.

Does anyone here have any comments about the Winning Colors blend? Since it has Rembrant & Picasso I'm very interested, here is some info for those interested:

ProScape Winning Colors

Ingredients
40% Rembrandt Tall Fescue
30% Masterpiece Tall Fescue
30% Picasso Tall Fescue

http://www.ntep.org/contents2.shtml

agrostis palustris
08-02-2002, 02:15 AM
I will be using Lollium perenne this year as much as I can. Got a price for $110.00 per 50 lb bag. Endophyte enhanced of course.

strickdad
08-02-2002, 03:18 AM
ray, have you checked on the new early order program at lesco? i got a brouchere saying they would give terms on 500.00 or more until dec 1 02 it also said something about "special" priceing i havent checked on it yet have you?

DaddyRabbit
08-02-2002, 08:00 AM
Winning colors is an excellent grass seed, may Landscapers use it here as it seems to green very fast and be drought resistant. My price for a 50lb bag is $60. I also use the Triple A and Water saver which I get for $52 a bag. All 3 of these run pretty close as far as performance.

awm
08-02-2002, 10:39 AM
ray are u ordering the lesco ,or do the have an outlet up there some where.
home depo has some lesco here,but
not the full line.
ive told my customers im going to have to wait an see this yr as to the weather.
we stay this dry try and ill be trying something different than standard procedure.considering watering system installation, on the side. kinda a wait an see thing.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-02-2002, 06:34 PM
Ray I used to have a real bad chickweed problem when I used trasition blend from lesco.

I have switched to BWI 5-Star Fescue about 3 years ago and absolutly love the seed.

It runs me about $42 for a 50# bag. I don't use blue grass as it burns out easily here in St Louis.

I have never heard of the other you posted.

g overbey
08-02-2002, 08:25 PM
LG where do you buy the 5 star Fescue. I am in the same region as you and would like to try it.

Runner
08-02-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
I usually pay around $48 for a 50 pound bag, and around $60 I think for the Tri-Gold certified blue label seed.

I got a call , they will have Winning Colors blend (blue label certified) at $39 for 50 pounds, will save me around $1k so it may be worth it.
Ray, you put down more than a ton of seed in the Fall?

anthony
08-02-2002, 11:45 PM
ray it's nice to see a lawn service like yourself to use the ntep program...i never seen winner colorsbut rembrandt is a good fescue...

this yr. all my seed that i am useing must be blue tag or better.

i had a lot of problems with undesirable grass seed in my blend i got last yr.
a lot of poa triv. patches in ALL the lawns that i over seeded

anthony

KirbysLawn
08-03-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Runner

Ray, you put down more than a ton of seed in the Fall?

Last year I put down around 5500 pounds of seed. I do alot of sub work also and promote my service in the fall, I hope to do much more this fall.

I have been very happy with the LEsco, I have very little weed issues. I am hoping to find someone who has used the Winning Colors and can add their input.

I may just go buy some and plant it now and do a test plot. I currently have several grasses I'm testing different products on, here is a photo of a few strips I'm working on with wetting agents and Primo Maxx.

Photoed is Emereld Zoysia, Zenith Zoysia, and Centipede. I may add the Winning Colors. :)

strickdad
08-03-2002, 03:10 AM
****** news flash***** i talked to my lesco rep in greensboro and he said to hold off on buying seed for at least 2 weeks . he said that the big wheels will be in charllote all next week working on a new price structure for seed for this area.. he tells me that the prices WILL drop, and its rumored to be around .70 cents for trans. blend. that will put price down to 35.00 for 50lb bag.

RMDoyon
08-03-2002, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the heads-up Strickdad!

Roger

jnjnlc
09-05-2002, 09:39 PM
I have not been on in sometime and I was looking for someone who has used the Lesco brand. I currently use John Deere Landscapes Shanandoa blend.

Ray, Lesco has quoted me 39/bag. That is about 1 1/2 pallets. JD is about 10.00 more. Will save me a bit. I think I may be switching.

bandm
09-05-2002, 10:22 PM
Does any one have any suggestions for seed selection. I am located in GA and of course we have had a bad drought this year and most lawns have died off. If any one has any suggestions they would be apprieciated! Most people like bermuda here but I would like to mive from that, thanks!

Jeremy

greenman
09-05-2002, 11:15 PM
bandm-I would say for your location use either Bermuda varieties, centipede, St.Augustine, and maybe Zoysia. I don't know if you can buy centipede or St. Augustine in seed though. Check with your local extension service.