PDA

View Full Version : stupied side shutes!

petroskie
08-09-2010, 11:36 AM
so my husky rider mower is a model 2348 and it mowes very very well, but i have trouble if its even slightly wet the grass gets stuck and makes a mess, ive been tgold that some side discharge mowers have a seperate little motor that pushes or sucks the grass up to the bags, any body heard of this? i dont even know what youd call it

punt66
08-09-2010, 11:38 AM
so my husky rider mower is a model 2348 and it mowes very very well, but i have trouble if its even slightly wet the grass gets stuck and makes a mess, ive been tgold that some side discharge mowers have a seperate little motor that pushes or sucks the grass up to the bags, any body heard of this? i dont even know what youd call it

yup, but thats for commercial mowers. You will never get the performance you need out of that rider.

yardguy28
08-09-2010, 12:19 PM
yep as punt said, for commercial mowers.

commercial sit down ztr's have a blower that is run off of the pully system from your deck blades that blows the grass/debris up the tubes into the bags.

i didn't look up the model for the mower you said you are using but i'm gonna guess by what punt said your using a residential grade mower. if your doing commercial work that is a BIG mistake......

petroskie
08-09-2010, 12:47 PM
yes im using a res for commercial, but i do more smaller house lawns since i do the field mowing and this is year 2 with it and 0 issues and, should look it up its a nice mower but no zero turn of course, so im probly sol, but thanks for the quick lesson on how that system works

punt66
08-09-2010, 02:01 PM
yes im using a res for commercial, but i do more smaller house lawns since i do the field mowing and this is year 2 with it and 0 issues and, should look it up its a nice mower but no zero turn of course, so im probly sol, but thanks for the quick lesson on how that system works

there is a gas powered unit as well. Its a mini version of a leaf loader. You could probably make that work but its not worth the effort with your mower.

petroskie
08-09-2010, 02:31 PM
you have a link for this gas powered deal, i dont see my self getting a newer mower for a year or two

yardguy28
08-09-2010, 06:10 PM
not to hijack the thread but it doesn't matter what you do with a residential unit commercially.

if your doing commercial work you should be using commercial equipment. residential equipment is ment to be used once a week for maybe an hour or 2. commercial equipment is ment to be used day in day out all day long.

if your mowing more than one yard a week with this unit you need to trash it and get a commercial unit.

fl-landscapes
08-09-2010, 06:14 PM
the only thing stupid is the way you spelled "stupied"......sorry couldnt resist.... and chutes.....

petroskie
08-10-2010, 01:18 AM
not to hijack the thread but it doesn't matter what you do with a residential unit commercially.

if your doing commercial work you should be using commercial equipment. residential equipment is ment to be used once a week for maybe an hour or 2. commercial equipment is ment to be used day in day out all day long.

if your mowing more than one yard a week with this unit you need to trash it and get a commercial unit.

ya like i said its in the plan im saving up for some leaf clean up equipment and the trailer i just bought ate into the budget, it makes a real clean cut and moves quick, just the grass catcher. for bigger yards i bungie the discharge back and it sprays the grass around nicely

petroskie
08-10-2010, 01:20 AM
the only thing stupid is the way you spelled "stupied"......sorry couldnt resist.... and chutes.....

yes thank you, it tough to focus on spelling when you have a 2 yearold trying to help type, i have to race her on the keys

yardguy28
08-10-2010, 07:49 PM
not a fan of bungieing or leaving the discharge chute open at all. i keep that thing down as much as possible.

petroskie
08-11-2010, 03:07 AM
ya see im not the guy who walks on the other side of the tracks, i walk down the middle of them! anyway only way i can get it to not clump when wet

LawnTamer
08-11-2010, 06:27 AM
People will always give you crap if you are using a residential mower, that's just because most of them learned the hard way. Fact is, most guys starting a lawn biz don't or can't go out and plop down $8-15K on a mower, plus commercial trimmer, edger, blower etc. Many of the ones that do, and also start out with a $35k truck end up bankrupt in the first year. The truth is that profit margins in the mowing business are poor, if a residential mower is what you can afford, then that is what works.

Heck, I started out with a Crapsman.... sorry, I mean Craftsman. Man, did those things suck. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

A commercial mower is much faster, and will last you way longer. If you are going to be in the business for a while, it is worth getting once you have the customer base to justify it. I have a commercial Toro that is in its 11th year of commercial use. It has paid for itself many, many times over. It mowed 20 lawns just yesterday, and will be out making money tomorrow.

Here's a real piece of advice though: Find more profitable work. Sprinkler work, (if you know how... or not, half the guys out doing irrigation don't know what they are doing), or get licensed to do fert and spray work, or lighting, or do bed overhauls. For most lawn/landscape businesses, mowing is at the bottom so far as profit is concerned. It is in my business.

PS No offense to the irrigation guys, but I'm sure ya'll have seen more crazy irrigation work than I have.