PDA

View Full Version : How many ya gone through so far?

DitchDr
08-09-2010, 11:57 AM
How many workers you gone through so far this year?

Right now I am at 2 tree climbers
5 ground guys
5 landscape guys
1 office chick. ( hired her cause she was hot not smart)

txgrassguy
08-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Four this year, a total of 215 in eleven years. My personal best is eleven in one day.

kodak mowing
08-09-2010, 09:08 PM
well im on my 3rd laborer the first was wife family big pothead didnt wanna work,second a drunk old friend,third found of craigslist just cant seem to work more than four days aweek always something with this guy.

Chilehead
08-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Zero, but have had a dozen call to see if I'm hiring. I tell them, "Yes we are hiring. Here's our website address (I give 'em web address) where you can download our Job Application form. Please fill it out and return it to us along with your resume. Thank you." No one will fill out a simple job application nor submit a resume. So be it. I'll stay solo until someone who is willing to clear $35K their first season with me with no experience comes along. That's right-$35K (and year round work also).

ed2hess
08-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Zero, but have had a dozen call to see if I'm hiring. I tell them, "Yes we are hiring. Here's our website address (I give 'em web address) where you can download our Job Application form. Please fill it out and return it to us along with your resume. Thank you." No one will fill out a simple job application nor submit a resume. So be it. I'll stay solo until someone who is willing to clear $35K their first season with me with no experience comes along. That's right-$35K (and year round work also).

Professional worker don't know how to use the computer, but they sure would work for $35/K per year. All you need to be is bi-lingual.

Glenn Lawn Care
08-09-2010, 11:16 PM
Four this year, a total of 215 in eleven years. My personal best is eleven in one day.

I find this hard to believe unless you are a slave driver!

ajslands
08-09-2010, 11:41 PM

Wow you must suck at hirring employees if you've fired that many!
Posted via Mobile Device

txgrassguy
08-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Nope - I'm neither. At one point I had fifteen employees and was grossing right at a million a year. Ran four trucks doing grounds maintenance and one truck doing just installs.
It takes warm bodies to fill those truck seats and aside from the foremen, as long as the applicant passed a drug screen/background check, I'd put them to work hand trimming, running a walk behind, etc until their probation period was up. Very few made their probationary period of thirty days. All of my foremen were multi-year dudes with my company and three of the laborers were as well, everyone else were transitory.
Most were eliminated due to: theft, drug use (which a random screening would catch - the majority), failure to show up on time, purposeful damage to equipment, inability to be trained.
Starting pay is $10/hour with a half hour lunch. Average work week is 44 hrs with almost no Saturday's. After probation, the raise depended upon numerous factors but my foremen were bringing in between $13-$18/hour. Hardly slave wages but I pay for an honest day's work - you don't want to work, fine but get the hell of my job site and go flip burgers or pick your nose.
The eleven I canned were all on a $250K landscape/irrigation install, all were in their proby period and all tried to hold me up for more money per hour. When I explained, again, how the raise structure operated, the strawboss of these eleven ******s said I needed he and the guys more than they needed me. So I canned all of them right then, called the cops and had criminal trespass warnings issued on all of them. Three days later the strawboss came to my shop and demanded their jobs back. When I refused this hero got upset and pulled a knife so I knocked him out with a sharp shooter, called the cops and had him arrested for criminal trespass. I was going to shoot him but my primary foreman at the time was dating this dude's sister and implored me to go easy - hence the shovel.

In the interim economic chaos I have re-structured my business from an economy of scale to a boutique operation. Now it's just me and two guys doing very specific work for very specific clients and I am netting with-in 5% what I did when I had the headaches of $5K plus payroll weeks. Less hours, much less headaches, the two guys are making around $15/hr each and everyone is happy.

Well, I'd love to stay and chat but I'm off to salvage dive on three irrigation pumps so it's time to get wet. I'll make $750 for a total of an hour and a half of work - how many here can say that?

Chilehead
08-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Nope - I'm neither. At one point I had fifteen employees and was grossing right at a million a year. Ran four trucks doing grounds maintenance and one truck doing just installs.
It takes warm bodies to fill those truck seats and aside from the foremen, as long as the applicant passed a drug screen/background check, I'd put them to work hand trimming, running a walk behind, etc until their probation period was up. Very few made their probationary period of thirty days. All of my foremen were multi-year dudes with my company and three of the laborers were as well, everyone else were transitory.
Most were eliminated due to: theft, drug use (which a random screening would catch - the majority), failure to show up on time, purposeful damage to equipment, inability to be trained.
Starting pay is $10/hour with a half hour lunch. Average work week is 44 hrs with almost no Saturday's. After probation, the raise depended upon numerous factors but my foremen were bringing in between $13-$18/hour. Hardly slave wages but I pay for an honest day's work - you don't want to work, fine but get the hell of my job site and go flip burgers or pick your nose.
The eleven I canned were all on a $250K landscape/irrigation install, all were in their proby period and all tried to hold me up for more money per hour. When I explained, again, how the raise structure operated, the strawboss of these eleven ******s said I needed he and the guys more than they needed me. So I canned all of them right then, called the cops and had criminal trespass warnings issued on all of them. Three days later the strawboss came to my shop and demanded their jobs back. When I refused this hero got upset and pulled a knife so I knocked him out with a sharp shooter, called the cops and had him arrested for criminal trespass. I was going to shoot him but my primary foreman at the time was dating this dude's sister and implored me to go easy - hence the shovel.

In the interim economic chaos I have re-structured my business from an economy of scale to a boutique operation. Now it's just me and two guys doing very specific work for very specific clients and I am netting with-in 5% what I did when I had the headaches of $5K plus payroll weeks. Less hours, much less headaches, the two guys are making around $15/hr each and everyone is happy.

Well, I'd love to stay and chat but I'm off to salvage dive on three irrigation pumps so it's time to get wet. I'll make $750 for a total of an hour and a half of work - how many here can say that?

I love it! I love it! I would have handled it the same way. One thing I can't stand is when some employee says that they are "priveleging you" to allow them to work for you. What complete arrogance. Also, if someone pulled a knife on me--they're dead. Period. Too bad, so, sad.:cry::laugh::laugh:

DitchDr
08-11-2010, 02:16 PM
I would have told them to hit the road also.

I have very few rules, but expect them to be followed at all times.

JB1
08-11-2010, 02:17 PM
you all must be so proud.