PDA

View Full Version : Promatic Head on Shindaiwa T230 trimmer

joed
08-02-2002, 09:55 AM
I just purchased a Shindaiwa T230 trimmer. It is coming next week. The dealer has offered to put on a promatic tap and go head on it. Is that head a good one to have? Is it easy to change the string on it? I am asking these question because I seem to recall several posts on this site that mentionned a lot of difficulty in changing the string on the T230.
Thanks

Tvov
08-02-2002, 10:56 AM
I have all manual heads on my trimmers. Years ago I had a couple automatics, but I kept having trouble with them, and the guys would go through a ton of string every week because it was so easy to advance it.

Now, they learn quickly to trim carefully so that they are not constantly advancing the line, and using up so much string.

rkbrown
08-02-2002, 11:08 AM
I raelly like the Stihl automatic heads. Make line a snap to change.

barnard
08-02-2002, 09:21 PM
I have two husqvarnas and one deere trimmers . I really like the tap and go heads I use universal products trimmy hit heads on all three. I can trim much faster with the guards removed. This also keeps you from using so much string as it doesn'get cut off by the blade on the guard. When I read the manual for the husky ,it recommended soaking the line in water overnight. It didn't think this could do much but tried it anyway. Surprise ! It toughens the line and it 's not as prone to break. I now keep my bulk spool in a bucket of water all the time.

Phishook
08-02-2002, 11:55 PM
All of my Shin's came with auto heads. Not sure why they wouldn't.

No problems loading them. They do have alot of parts (5 I think).
But you can buy the parts seperate. The buntons are the only part I've replaced on them.

Keith
08-03-2002, 12:43 PM
I have the been using Shindaiwa's with the auto head for five years and they still work fine. No problem reloading, never had a problem with them burning through line too quickly. And all parts are cheap and replaceable. The only thing that has needed to be replaced on ours though, is a couple bump buttons ($1.75) and eyelets (75 cents or so) .

Fantasy Lawns
08-03-2002, 01:23 PM
The Shin's Auto head is a Pro-Matic ...... this is a kick butt trimmer (as it the Sthil FS 80) one pull start forever (unlike some others)

A week to get it ?? my dealer has atleast 3 of these in stock all times .....

Like Keith suggest ==> order some extra head parts so you have no down time (line eye-let fittings, spring n tap head top .... the eye-lets wear down about 1-200 hours n are cheap)

http://www.shindaiwa.com/products/grass_trimmers/t230.html

65hoss
08-03-2002, 01:39 PM
Yes, get the tap and go head. That way you tap and go, not stop and feed. Kills your time. String is pretty cheap, time isn't. Only so much time you have. Make every dollar you can.

alpine692003
12-20-2003, 01:45 AM
Just a question.. What type of string head would you put on your Shindaiwa t230 for commercial use!

ElephantNest
12-20-2003, 08:31 AM
Gator .95 Square.

I use the shin heads, bump feed, until they wear out, then replace them with the stihl heads.

gogetter
12-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by alpine692003
Just a question.. What type of string head would you put on your Shindaiwa t230 for commercial use!

Are you asking about string, or the head?

thill
12-20-2003, 10:49 PM
We have six Shindiawa with the tap n go heads and love em.

We used a variety of different .095 lines but settled on .080 round line from Shindiawa. We get slightly higher RPMs and no welding.

I am going to try the soaking put forth by BARNARD. It sound interesting.

Tom

impactlandscaping
12-21-2003, 12:10 AM
We use fixed line heads w/ .095-.130 line on our Shins.I think you get more from these heads than tap n go .JMO..

pinnacle
12-21-2003, 06:39 AM
Sorry I use fixed aluminium heads but on anouther note............I hear abit about soaking trimmer line. This works! It increases ductibility and ealastability in nylon lines.

I (when I can) keep the trimmer line in a plastic lunch box full of water all the time.

I also see Sthil is recomending this for thier poly blades now.