PDA

View Full Version : Pulling out Large Shrubs

Green Goblin
08-02-2002, 11:56 AM
Ok, here is the task ahead of me. I have to pull out 100+ 10-12' Arbovitae. They are between a 10' brick wall and a paved road. Approximately only 2-3' wide area between the two. I am trying to see what you all think would be the easiest way to get these out. I have a dingo but I don't know if this will be of much assistance. Should I cut them off first? Then pull? I am also afraid of pulling them out with a truck because it could damage wall. What do you all think and what kind of time per shrub would I be looking at?

TIA

DaddyRabbit
08-02-2002, 04:15 PM
Just use a snatch strap to your FEL and lift them right out. If you plan to save them then stick your shovel in the ground about a foot away from the trunk making a complete circle around the base and then pull them up the same way w/your FEL.

agrostis palustris
08-02-2002, 10:44 PM
Can you park a backhoe / mini-X on the road and rip them out with that? Stop traffic, rip them out, load them right onto the truck? Or if that is a problem... get a full size backhoe with extenda-hoe and pull them with that if you have to go over the wall. Other option would be a small crane.

Green Goblin
08-03-2002, 03:18 PM
I'm sorry but what is a FEL? I have a dingo? I am not sure what the root structure on these is like. Are they more fibrous or is there a tap root? Keep in mind I am working in a tight area of around 2-3'. between road and brick wall. Also, what kind of time frame would I be roughly looking at for a two man team with a dingo? I thought about 15 minutes actual time, 30 minutes labor. I pulled some burning bush out the other day and that went very easy. But they were only 5' tall. Also pulled 2' tall by 4' wide taxus out. That actually wasn't too bad. Plan to use deep spade and cut each side then pull?

ipm
08-03-2002, 10:11 PM
I don't think a Dingo will pull out 10-12' Arbs. I use those for small jobs but 10-12' trees?? How long have they been in the ground??? Is the structure of the brick wall block or poured concrete??? That is about all I can give. I do understand the concern(small space, big plants, brick). If the wall is 10' tall chances are there is a decent size footer at the bottom( is the wall backfilled against or free standing??) Response

FEL- lets see if calculus and alcohol do mix( Front End Loader)

AGLA
08-04-2002, 03:07 PM
These are an easy yank for a tree of their size. ...an easy transplant, too. The roots are very fibrous near the surface. If you don't want to save them, cut along the front of the wall and walk with a sharp edging spade - straight in and straight out, untill all the way along. Then try yanking them over, the dingo is more than adequate. If they need more root cutting, dig a trench around the outside of your spade cut and angle your spade under the plant and cut all around. Rip them out.

Green Goblin
08-04-2002, 03:08 PM
Wall is Freestanding. Would a bobcat type skidloader be good or one of those tractor type front end loaders? I'd say the plants have been in the ground a good 8-10 years. Here is the deal. They want to remove the arb's and replace them with green velvet boxwood. So, I have to remove the whole deal. what I'm trying to figure out is how long it will take me with what ever equipment is best to pull these suckers out. I'm bidding a job that is why I'm asking and I'll be going up against some big boys here.

site
08-06-2002, 11:06 PM
Pull them out using forks and a Bobcat. It will take about 5 minutes per plant. If you are thinking big you will ask- will the owner pay me to replant them elsewhere on the property? If not can I find anyone else who might pay for them- or at least pay my labor and materials to replant them? (Then charge the original owner for disposal and get paid twice) How can I do this job with the smallest mess and the least wasted moves?