PDA

View Full Version : how long does it take for grass to grow back after chinch bugs

j9sheldon
08-02-2002, 01:53 PM
Hey all,

I got rid of a chinch bug problem with a client in their st. augustine grass. How long will it take to grow back and are there any steps to ensure healthy regrowth.

thanks all in advance

ant
09-07-2002, 11:12 PM
HOW ABOUT SOD WEB WORM DAMANGE

RedOak
09-08-2002, 12:05 AM
Chinch bugs or grub worms eat the roots of the grass network. Depends on early you treated and how much damage was caused. If you have a few small spots the st. augustine runners might fill it in this season(of course water, fertilizer, and lots of sunshine helps). If large portions of the lawn were damaged it will likely be late spring or later of next year before the lawn recovers.(it really depends on how much damage) If you need quicker results then resoding or plugging will help. The usually favorable weather in austin should give you time to resod this season, wait for some regrowth, or take it on next spring.

RedOak
09-08-2002, 12:22 AM
Also, in my experience in the Dallas area, grum worms are almost always active in early august till early september. In my own lawn I always treat about the 10th of august and again two weeks later. Also, recommend to my customers to have us treat their lawns starting in early august to prevent potential damage.
(over time I've "learned the hard way" how much damage these little critters can do!)

GroundKprs
09-08-2002, 02:06 AM
Chinch bugs and sod webworms do not eat grass roots in the north!! Sod webworm does act as a cutworm in corn, eating roots of corn plants. Do they do damage this way on southern grasses?

The hairy chinch bug, common in our area, sucks plant juices. In doing so, it blocks uptake of water and downward storage of plant sugars. Therefore, chinch bug damage is generally considered fatal to the turfgrass plant. Whether to sod, seed, overseed, or just let grass recover on its own depends on the extent of the damages and the client's wishes.

Sod webworm eats leaves of turfgrasses. Since it chews leaf just above the crown, sod webworm damage is not fatal, because crown is not injured and can regrow leaves. But heavy webworm infestation, and continued eating of new leaves can cause the death of the grass plants. If the webworm damaged areas have not coalesced - you have individual brown spots - I would generally let the turf recover. But if you have a 100 ft² or larger of solid damage, it's time to consider seed or sod. Look closely for growth of new shoots for a couple of weeks after you are sure the sod webworms are controlled; if you see very little or no new growth starting, then help the recovery with sod or seed.

Morningside
11-17-2005, 08:13 AM
I recently started mowing a property with a grub worm infestation. I killed the grub worms and i was wondering how long it would take for the grass(st.augustine) to recover. The morning temps this week are in the 30s and the growth rate has slowed so much i cant tell if it is going to recover or not. how soon after the worm kill can i fertilize a damaged lawn going into winter?

JMB
11-17-2005, 10:44 AM
I recently started mowing a property with a grub worm infestation. I killed the grub worms and i was wondering how long it would take for the grass(st.augustine) to recover. The morning temps this week are in the 30s and the growth rate has slowed so much i cant tell if it is going to recover or not. how soon after the worm kill can i fertilize a damaged lawn going into winter?
You can fertilize now, but I bet the grass won't recover much until next Spring. IMO, resodding this late in the season would be a gamble. If your client waters correctly, if we don't have a bad winter...etc,ect. Well, you get the picture.

MTR
11-17-2005, 12:52 PM
The best remedy after trating chinch bug is resodding. It is so time consuming to wait and see till runners filling in, so resodding is best solution. Also, you can do all year round (in FLorida), they even sod new home in the mid of January, and bingo by March it is all green and robust ready to be cut.

palm boy
11-17-2005, 01:03 PM
you need to spread sand over the damaged areas. This will rapidly speed up the recovery process of your damaged lawn. St augustine will not spread too quick over the dead grass in the damaged areas, but if you put sand over those same areas it helps the runners take off much better. We do it here all the time here in Florida. Just did this a few months ago in a few areas in my back yard and the runners have spread quickly across the sanded areas. It does not take much, just level it off with a rake over the damaged area.