PDA

View Full Version : Gator Blades on Troy-Bilt wide area

cfosceola
08-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Just put a set of gator blades on my troybilt 33" wide area, after calling a couple of dealers in my area, was told they dont make them, blade size on these are 17 3/4 inches, options were a 16, or a 18 in, because these have a 5/8 inch, one guy told me i could grind down an 18 in, but it would be a lot of grinding, so after thinking about it i went ahead with the 18 in blades, there was not a whole lot of difference in size so i just used a dremmel with a metal cutting bur on it and ground the center hole since it has a rectangular notch, matched the old blade with the new blade and after 30 minutes i had 2 new gators on my mower. What a difference in cut, the 18 in length just cleared the deck with about a 1/4 in to spare. Just thought i would share my info incase anyone else had one of these mowers and wanted to use gators

65hoss
08-02-2002, 04:34 PM
Man, your really wanted a set of gators. :)

wingzofsteel
05-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Just put a set of gator blades on my troybilt 33" wide area, after calling a couple of dealers in my area, was told they dont make them, blade size on these are 17 3/4 inches, options were a 16, or a 18 in, because these have a 5/8 inch, one guy told me i could grind down an 18 in, but it would be a lot of grinding, so after thinking about it i went ahead with the 18 in blades, there was not a whole lot of difference in size so i just used a dremmel with a metal cutting bur on it and ground the center hole since it has a rectangular notch, matched the old blade with the new blade and after 30 minutes i had 2 new gators on my mower. What a difference in cut, the 18 in length just cleared the deck with about a 1/4 in to spare. Just thought i would share my info incase anyone else had one of these mowers and wanted to use gators

I have a 1994 33 in Troybilt as well. What Dremmel bit did you use to grind out the center? I would like to give this a try. Thanks for giving us Troybilt 33 walkbehind users hope for a better cut.

Richard Martin
05-23-2012, 05:24 PM
How about you guys just buy a real mower. No professional would be caught dead with a Troy Bilt on their trailer.

dstifel
10-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Is there anyway you could post some detailed pictures of the gear shift on this unit I am putting one back together and can't seem to get it adjusted quite right? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris Feenan
10-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Troy Bilt 33 is a great mower for gated areas. It's a tank ! I have Scags and Toros ZTR's , but I love when I get a chance to run the Troy Bilt.

I gave up on Gator Blades for Troy Bilt, but appreciate the bit of barnyard engineering solution. As a leaf mulcher, I expect it would be hard to beat with the overpowered, overbuilt Troy Bilt and a pair of Gators - Thanks !

Dstifel, I downloaded the complete manual for free at one point. It is a PDF file, but I may be able to send it to you. I think I googled "Troy Bilt manual" when I found it. Let me know if you want me to try to send it to you.

orangemower
10-21-2012, 10:42 AM
As a leaf mulcher, I expect it would be hard to beat with the overpowered, overbuilt Troy Bilt and a pair of Gators

That's a funny right there. :laugh:

dstifel
10-21-2012, 06:25 PM
I found it thank you got my problem figured and runs great have you ever bagged with it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Chris Feenan
10-22-2012, 07:00 AM
Dstifel - Mine is a mulching deck. Do they make a bag to fit it ?

Orangemower - these are not bigbox type TroyBilts. They are old school tanks like the old Gravely field mowers. They will climb a tree and go thru anything. Do you have a reason for believing that Troy Bilt 33 with Gators would NOT eat big piles of leaves easily? Have you tried it, or are you just trying to start a pissing match ?

orangemower
10-22-2012, 09:17 AM
You said "hard to beat" and Troy Bilt in the same sentence. LOL

dstifel
10-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Mine is a combination deck so it has a bag attachment just don't have a bag for it was wondering if it is worth buying one.

Kkane97
10-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Don't I used one as my first walkbehind ever, and laid some sweet stripes :D But the bagger was CRAP!

dstifel
10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Did u just use stock blades? Did the thin back tires have rutting issues? Thanks for the input

Chris Feenan
10-22-2012, 07:40 PM
Orangemower - Yes I did write Troy Bilt and "hard to beat" in the same sentence. . But you didn't answer my question.

Are you a troll ? If so, please go away. Thank you.

http://drupal.org/files/images/img3.jpg

I don't think that you realize that prior to 2001, Troy Bilt was a manufacturer of heavy, well built machinery. They made the first, and for many decades, the best rototiller in the US. Their rototillers weighed 400 pounds. The Troy Bilt 33 inch mower is similarly well built and very heavy. I call it a tank because it feels and acts like one. It doesn't have the cut of my Scags or Toros, but I like that it feels like it could drive thru a brick wall and keep cutting. And I think I may put Gators on it and mulch up some leaves just for fun. OK?

MTD bought Troy Bilt in 2001, and their product line is now made for the big box market. It is not even close to the quality of the old Troy Bilt stuff.

Kkane97
10-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I actually thought they buy out was in 2002, but either way I made sure to get a 2000 model, plenty of power and cut like this!

http://i.imgur.com/Yx9A7.jpg

dstifel
10-22-2012, 07:48 PM
What site do u guys use to get parts for your troybilt. i picked mine up at an estate sell for 40$ yes thats right 40 because it would not start. took it home put gas (had absolutely none in it) and a new plug in and it fired on the third pull. However i need a new spindle for it and the pin the holds the spring on the gear shift. other then that she runs great and sounds very solid.

orangemower
10-22-2012, 07:48 PM
I had a Troy Bilt 21in push mower that was the best mower I ever had. It was free.

Chris Feenan
10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
I replaced a spindle with this part (http://www.milfordpower.com/Genuine-MTD-Troy-Bilt-Bolens-1769048099-Spindle-p/1769048099.htm). Has held up well. Milford Power Equipment is in New Hampshire, shipping wasn't bad.

dstifel
10-23-2012, 01:54 PM
I am having trouble with mine still crawling forward slightly when in neutral? Also won't shift into reverse without a struggle any ideas?

Chris Feenan
10-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Dstifel, did you say you found the manual online ? In there is the procedure for adjusting neutral on the transmission. It's pretty simple, once you get started you'll see how it works and won't really need the manual procedure step by step.

I don't use reverse very often, I just let go of the drive control and lean back if I need reverse. It's easier and quicker than shifting back and forth. I haven't used my Troy Bilt 33 in a year or more. It has been replaced by more high tech gear. I just admire the way these were built. I had thought of using it as a dedicated leaf mulching beast. I tried to buy Gators unsuccesfully, so it was good to see this thread.

chagh2.0
10-23-2012, 08:14 PM
How about you guys just buy a real mower. No professional would be caught dead with a Troy Bilt on their trailer.

You could put racing wheels on a yugo it's still a yugo

Chris Feenan
10-23-2012, 08:34 PM
If you weren't a troll, and you knew what you are talking about, maybe we could have a meaningful discussion.

But you are, and you don't, so we can't.

dstifel
10-23-2012, 09:35 PM
I see that part in the manual now i will try this tomm luckily it won't be a daily user but figured for 40 dollars it would be a heck of a back up to have on the trailer with me and for the couple of yards i have that my 36" won't go through