PDA

View Full Version : I got this email from a potential customer today

nepatsfan
08-10-2010, 03:16 PM
"I currently have lawn service (mowing, cleanups) but am not 100% happy with my provider. I am looking for a new landscaping company to do seasonal and weekly maintenance but also I am looking for cleanup and weeding of the beds around my house as soon as possible. I keep meaning to get to it but I just can't. Please let me know if you can give me an estimate on that and your other annual services. By email only please, no phone calls. Thanks!"

Does this seem like a pita customer or what? Not 100% happy currently....fine I get it but email only please, no phone calls. Whats up with that? I at least like to discuss the work being done in person. This is one of those people that has pita written all over it to me. Anyone else think so? I don't have the patience. Its right in a neighborhood we are already in and its probably a $750,000 home. Haven't looked yet but low end homes in that area are 600. I just dont need any headaches. We have enough going on. I really don't remember anyone ever emailing me before with that kind of demand. Its kind of small but I always look for these little hints to see what I'm up against. Am I reading too much into this?

bradseabridge
08-10-2010, 03:34 PM
sounds more like a scam to me.

redskinsfan34
08-10-2010, 03:35 PM
I had a guy insist that I only get an estimate to him by fax. I couldn't drop it off, email it, or call about it. Against my gut instinct I agreed and got the job. What a mistake!! I had to go back twice because he "just wasn't satisfied with my work to the point where he could pay me." I've NEVER had one complaint about any work I've Ever done. I just broke even on that job.

nepatsfan
08-10-2010, 03:48 PM
sounds more like a scam to me.

Not sure about it being a scam, she gave the address and her phone number and it matched up. I force people to give their phone number on my website or it wont let you email. You can give a fake number but you have to put one in. I know the neighborhood too.

nepatsfan
08-10-2010, 03:50 PM
I had a guy insist that I only get an estimate to him by fax. I couldn't drop it off, email it, or call about it. Against my gut instinct I agreed and got the job. What a mistake!! I had to go back twice because he "just wasn't satisfied with my work to the point where he could pay me." I've NEVER had one complaint about any work I've Ever done. I just broke even on that job.

Thats what I'm afraid of. I would not start work until I at least had a description over the phone. This lady will definitely have a contract if we do anything for her. If a regular customer called and asked to have beds weeded I would just send a couple guys to do it and send them a bill. I would not do that in this instance.

Hawkshot99
08-10-2010, 07:59 PM
I had a customer like that. He was a deaf man, and phones dont work too well for him.

JCLawn and more
08-10-2010, 08:09 PM
well, you could email back I want to meet you in person before I work on your lawn. maybe there is a odd reason why they don't want to be called.

nepatsfan
08-10-2010, 09:37 PM
I emailed back and we set up an appointment to meet. Maybe she was deaf??? Maybe she just couldn't talk on the phone, but she was ok with meeting so I was probably just reading into it too much. I try to screen the pita customers and tire kickers before I go over and waste time. I think I am about done with residential. It can be a pita.

ColliganLands
08-10-2010, 09:37 PM
funny i got the exact same email about 10 minutes ago

nepatsfan
08-10-2010, 09:42 PM
funny i got the exact same email about 10 minutes ago

LOL...take her.

ColliganLands
08-10-2010, 09:43 PM
i was trying to decide if i wanted to reply to the email lol... let us know how the meeting goes and good luck

nepatsfan
08-10-2010, 09:44 PM
She definitely sounds like a pita now.

ColliganLands
08-10-2010, 09:47 PM
yea thats what i was thinking too.. same exact email word for word only difference is i didnt get the phone number. i am also familiar with the neighborhood as i do some plowing in there. could turn out good but she does seem like a pita

nepatsfan
08-10-2010, 09:53 PM
yea thats what i was thinking too.. same exact email word for word only difference is i didnt get the phone number. i am also familiar with the neighborhood as i do some plowing in there. could turn out good but she does seem like a pita

If you ever rent a skid steer or need one for snow removal or anything I have a snow bucket and a plow. I am not sure if you have one but I can make it worth your while for a man and a machine.

ColliganLands
08-10-2010, 09:55 PM
If you ever rent a skid steer or need one for snow removal or anything I have a snow bucket and a plow. I am not sure if you have one but I can make it worth your while for a man and a machine.

thanks ill keep that in mind.. i dont have one now but depending on how my winter lines up i might be renting one.. let me know how this lady works out for you

nepatsfan
08-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Do you plow for wrentham?

ColliganLands
08-10-2010, 10:19 PM
yup i plow for wrentham and then have a second truck on driveways and a couple small lots

TheGoat
08-10-2010, 10:32 PM
find out what she's not liking about the last guy.

nepatsfan
08-10-2010, 10:34 PM
find out what she's not liking about the last guy.

My experience has been that if someone is a complainer...its just how they are. Especially if they are looking to throw the company doing their lawn under the bus in the initial contact email.

nepatsfan
08-12-2010, 08:35 PM
thanks ill keep that in mind.. i dont have one now but depending on how my winter lines up i might be renting one.. let me know how this lady works out for you

I emailed her and told her I was all set. The more I thought about it, the more I really don't want or need any more residentials. They are a pain and we can hardly keep up with what we have.

ColliganLands
08-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Good luck to you. I emailed her and told her I was all set. The more I thought about it, the more I really don't want or need any more residentials. They are a pain and we can hardly keep up with what we have.

i also let that one pass happy with my current route and have no mowing in that neighborhood at all.. see you around town

nepatsfan
08-12-2010, 08:42 PM
i also let that one pass happy with my current route and have no mowing in that neighborhood at all.. see you around town

I hydroseeded ellis hobbs house, lives on that street.

LKCLawnService
08-12-2010, 08:54 PM
i would pass on that customer

nepatsfan
08-12-2010, 09:04 PM
i would pass on that customer

who...ellis hobbs?:laugh:

Texas Lawn
08-13-2010, 08:55 AM
she might be a pita but more than likely she is just cheap and sent that email to 3 or more companies looking for quotes

Fireguy97
08-13-2010, 11:13 AM
she might be a pita but more than likely she is just cheap and sent that email to 3 or more companies looking for quotes

So you figure that if someone is looking for competitive quotes/bids on a job, that they are cheap? Do you always expect someone to take a quote from just one company, and go with it?

Mick

nepatsfan
08-13-2010, 06:02 PM
So you figure that if someone is looking for competitive quotes/bids on a job, that they are cheap? Do you always expect someone to take a quote from just one company, and go with it?

Mick

Nope, but if someone is shopping based strictly on price than I am not your man.

georgiagrass
08-18-2010, 02:08 AM
It's not an unreasonable request. I have certainly rejected potential customers based on a gut feel that they are a PITA, but what you described would not trip that sensor for me. My approach would be to respond as requested with a quote, but to request a meeting in my responsive email to discuss the proposal. If you get the work and it later turns out that the customer is a PITA, you know what to do.

MR-G
08-22-2010, 03:55 PM
the way we do things is that all new customers are required to open a billing acct with us....hence we get and keep their credit/debit card on file and run the charge the minute the work is done....some people dont want to do biz this way...the ones who are trying to screw you.:usflag:

Texas Lawn
08-23-2010, 09:30 AM

Mick

It is the way she did it. People usually shop around but a mass email and giving people the run around. No phone calls? That sounds like she just wants price and doesnt care about much else

jce4isu
08-26-2010, 01:55 PM
who...ellis hobbs?:laugh:

we played together at iowa state hell of a ball player

nepatsfan
08-26-2010, 09:26 PM
It is the way she did it. People usually shop around but a mass email and giving people the run around. No phone calls? That sounds like she just wants price and doesnt care about much else

Hit the nail on the head, which is why I didn't want her.