PDA

View Full Version : Honda Engine Cheaper?

CT18fireman
08-10-2010, 04:29 PM
So I am looking at Horizontal engines in the 12-13hp range to replace a bad one. Looking online and small engine warehouses I have narrowed it by dimensions that I need (overall size, crank diameter and length). Looking for at recoil engines, all with fuel tanks and mufflers. The Honda is significantly cheaper. My experience and what I have always heard is that they are a much better engine. Comparing to Kohler and Briggs is there a reason they are much less? I am talking under $600 for the Honda 13hp and almost $800 for a Briggs equivalant. I have a Honda on one of my Blowers and its been great. Any reason not to go with Honda?

Gravel Rat
08-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Make sure the Honda has the red cover if it is one that is all black that is the cheaper version. Also watch out there are Honda knock offs out there they look like a Honda but they are not.

You can only buy Honda engines from a registered and licenced Honda engine dealer.

I wouldn't buy nothing but a Honda what I have seen them go through in a marine salt air enviroment and still run has sold me on Honda engines long ago.

Becarefull before you buy you may not be getting a Honda engine make sure it is a licensed dealer.

TurboMazda
08-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Make sure the Honda has the red cover if it is one that is all black that is the cheaper version. Also watch out there are Honda knock offs out there they look like a Honda but they are not.

You can only buy Honda engines from a registered and licenced Honda engine dealer.

I wouldn't buy nothing but a Honda what I have seen them go through in a marine salt air enviroment and still run has sold me on Honda engines long ago.

Becarefull before you buy you may not be getting a Honda engine make sure it is a licensed dealer.

This info is true, I have seeing Honda clone engines and they do not perform like the real deal...............................

Gravel Rat
08-12-2010, 12:44 AM
This info is true, I have seeing Honda clone engines and they do not perform like the real deal...............................

The clones even have valve cover that says OHV on it.

Only buy a true Honda it will last you forever if you maintain it, there are many 20 year old Honda engines that start on the first pull.