PDA

View Full Version : New to lawn renovation, need some help/advice

peahlybros.
08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
so I just got a job from one of my clients to "renovate" his lawn. This is like a $1,000,000 property. The house switched owners and in the process the lawn was not properly cared for and the geese (waterfront property) destroyed the grass.

my solution is to dethatch with a power dethatcher and then slice-seed. This is the first time I have ever used this equipment... any tips I should know? Also what is the best time to do this. I know fall is good, but what time... like early september or late september etc? Can I get away with doing it the last week of August? The property has irrigation.

BTW I am in southern NH.

any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Smallaxe
08-10-2010, 08:08 PM
What sort of soil is there? and does it have thatch?

You can likely just work up small areas, that need it, or slitseed the larger areas. We can start here as soon as things cool off a bit, in Aug/Sept. Refill the spots still empty, in a couple of weeks, then we'll be ready for winterizing early Oct, spot spraying for weeds in mid to later Oct.

You have a nice property, diligence,,, is better than a, 'system'.

sweetjetskier
08-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Untill you make geese find a new home,you are spinning your wheels in place, to get a nice lawn,geese will continually break your stones in reguards to a "perfect lawn "
Posted via Mobile Device

peahlybros.
08-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Yea I know, I hate geese, the property owner has a goose gun (basically fires a firework at the geese lol), so that has been keeping them away. I know because of the geese it will never be perfect, but if the client wants to pay for it, who am I to refuse?

the lawn has quite a bit of thatch. my plan is to dethatch first to get better contact to the soil and then do the slice seeding. would you use a starter fertalizer right after? or just keep it watered?

Smallaxe
08-11-2010, 08:57 AM
You want to do it in early fall, so I wouldn't bother with fert. until winterizing time. The perfect thing for seed is of course, compost. It also provides all the possible P that a seedling needs, besides helping with thatch and soil structure.
But yes, water is all you need, for the seedlings. There is a tendancy for some people to overwater existing grass, because they are so focussed on the seed. The seed in the lawn grass won't dry out, during the fall period, unless there are large areas without any cover at all.

Do the geese typically walkup on shore, or do they fly in?

peahlybros.
08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
they walk in, its the time of season where we start seeing less and less of them, so its not that big of a problem, and since there are people in the house now, they can be kept away

bigslick7878
08-11-2010, 08:36 PM
In your area you can do this the last week of August. The seed will germinate fast with how warm the soil is, I had to do a crabgrass pull and seed last week and with water twice a day for an hour the seed came up in 6 days.

I would aerate instead of slit seeding but that is just me. Or aerate AND slit seed.

How large of an area are we talking about here? No weeds at all?

peahlybros.
08-15-2010, 08:36 PM
its about a half acre.... i have already treated it for weeds.... it was a sodded lawn and when the previous owners left, i think the combination of built up thatch and the irrigation being turned off created damage.... the lawn is very blotchy and the owner wants it to be full

RigglePLC
08-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Seed when daily temps come down below 85. Use a top-quality per rye/bluegrass mixture. Soil will still be warm so germination (if moist) is very quick. Per rye comes up in 72 hours under ideal conditions. Include starter fert. Add additional fert for thickness in Sept, Oct and Nov.