PDA

View Full Version : Red hot exhaust tip

TurboMazda
08-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Hello guys, I just used my blower to blow some bamboo leafs from the side walk and since it is getting dark I notice when I finish that the tip of the muffler is red hot, able to lit a cigarette with it, rest of the muffler was OK and this is the only equipment I have seeing it has the screen you guys mention, so check the blower, after I turned it OFF waited a few minutes, I started it again, starts flawlessly, it could be the mixture? or what?
Mixture is with the bottle it came with the blower
Craftsman Professional Synthetic 3.2ONZ to a gallon of fresh gas wish I added StaBil. It has 2 year warranty in engine and carb only. (it only has less then an hour of use) Craftsman Blow/Vac

A friend told me it was OK because it was at the end of the muffler, not where the muffler connects to the exhaust port......he also mention to remove the screen it will not turn red.
Thanks in advance TURBO.

Roger
08-10-2010, 11:01 PM
I have a Stihl BG85 hand blower. When using it in the dark, I too can see the muffler cherry red. I also can see a portion of the muffler on my Kohler ProCommand 15hp glow red after dark. Likewise with an 8hp B & S, side valve engine on my leaf blower.

In any of these cases, when the engine is set to idle, the red disappears very quickly. It is evidence that the exhaust cools very quickly after running WOT. For me, the message is to let an engine run at idle a short time before turning off. Let the air flow around the engine at idle position cool it down before shutting off.

Of course, the better question: What are you doing running your blower in the dark? I was hoping nobody would ask, because I can't give a good explanation either.

TurboMazda
08-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I have a Stihl BG85 hand blower. When using it in the dark, I too can see the muffler cherry red. I also can see a portion of the muffler on my Kohler ProCommand 15hp glow red after dark. Likewise with an 8hp B & S, side valve engine on my leaf blower.

In any of these cases, when the engine is set to idle, the red disappears very quickly. It is evidence that the exhaust cools very quickly after running WOT. For me, the message is to let an engine run at idle a short time before turning off. Let the air flow around the engine at idle position cool it down before shutting off.

Of course, the better question: What are you doing running your blower in the dark? I was hoping nobody would ask, because I can't give a good explanation either.
My neighbor asked me to blow those leafs and sun was starting to set after I started doing the job......it was just coincidence.

topsites
08-10-2010, 11:30 PM
High performance.

sharkey
08-12-2010, 05:21 AM
Catalytic converter muffler