PDA

View Full Version : tracking crews/trucks etc...

Mow Man
08-11-2010, 08:17 AM
I am looking for input on tracking crews. I run 2 crews and feel I am getting beat up on times etc.... I take real good notes on my jobs and feel that I do a pretty good job on bidding, but that all goes out the window if the cutting times and travel times are being manipulated by my crew leaders. 10-15% adds up to a whole lot at the end of the year.

ajslands
08-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Lojack! Theirs another one but I forgot what the name was!
Posted via Mobile Device

hawkerhino
08-11-2010, 09:53 AM
alot of cell providers offer tracking now. just give them a company phone or mount one in the truck and see what happens.

MarcSmith
08-11-2010, 10:36 AM
^ give em a nextel or similar style phone that has 2-way push-to-talk style that way he can't be calling is ho's on your time...and then track it...

http://shop.sprint.com/en/services/gps/family_locator.shtml

MnLefty
08-11-2010, 07:48 PM
I just bought this one a week ago:

http://www.amazon.com/LandAirSea-LAS-1505-Tracking-Vehicle-System/dp/B000H9E9UG/ref=pd_cp_e_0

It has been on the truck of one of my crews for a few days now, and I've already seen enough to make up my mind that these guys will be fired... I'm just letting it play out through a full cycle of routes to uncover ALL the details.

Daily McDonalds breakfast, 3 long gas station trips a day, general time wasted driving round and round the route, and to top it off a couple cash jobs. The 3 days it's been on the truck have averaged close to 2 hours a day straight wasted, and that's being conservative... allowing for some gas station time and a bit of a break now and then.

The only drawback to this particular unit is that you do need to recover it and download the data, but I can handle that for $150 and no fees. I've been tucking it inside the front bumper behind the license plate and its signal performance has been outstanding.

jntaylor
08-11-2010, 08:52 PM
I just bought this one a week ago:

http://www.amazon.com/LandAirSea-LAS-1505-Tracking-Vehicle-System/dp/B000H9E9UG/ref=pd_cp_e_0

Daily McDonalds breakfast, 3 long gas station trips a day, general time wasted driving round and round the route, and to top it off a couple cash jobs. The 3 days it's been on the truck have averaged close to 2 hours a day straight wasted, and that's being conservative... allowing for some gas station time and a bit of a break now and then.

How would you know about cash side jobs?

1993lx172
08-11-2010, 09:28 PM
How would you know about cash side jobs?

He would compare the address the crew was at against the addresses of his clients. If the addresses aren't on the list they are doing a side job using his equipment on company time.

clydebusa
08-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Oh wait until they fill up their gas can and have their GF pick it up. That really steams you!

ringahding
08-11-2010, 10:47 PM
RT BARRY: NEXTEL is what we use w/ GPS tracker push to talk...it's spendy per mth, but how much u would save just showing up to a job site they are @.....PRICELESS...they c u...they work harder...they don't c u...they look over their shoulder wondering if u r around the corner...works great for me>>>>bring em pizza on the job sometime,,,that will make em work harder and get u respect

MnLefty
08-12-2010, 08:40 AM
He would compare the address the crew was at against the addresses of his clients. If the addresses aren't on the list they are doing a side job using his equipment on company time.

This exactly! They had a 25 minute stop at a spot where we have no clients, so I drove through that evening and there were 3 different properties that were freshly cut... they didn't do them all, but more than likely did 1 or 2 of them. That was last Thursday, today we'll see if they do it again.

I also had the crews switch routes one day last week before the GPS was on and a neighbor came out to ask the non-regular crew "Can you mow my lawn again? $20 bucks like last time?"

mr.lawn works
08-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Sounds like the same S*** i went through in 06-09 and 2010 im doin every thing myself next u will need cameras in the shop or things will be missing!!!! I like the GPS MNLEFTY

MR-G
08-23-2010, 10:51 PM
we offer our guys side job bonusus...for every side job they bring in we pay them a commission plus this is one way how our guys get promoted...its not fool proof...but it helps...gps is more helpful if you have live tracking...

gob71
08-29-2010, 03:08 PM
In the car business the guys who do buy here pay here use nice GPS devices that can locate and track the movements of the car they are installed on. It can send the messages via text to your phone each time it cranks and shuts off, if it goes outside a particular area you get up on the maps it texts you. You can set speed limits, and can disable/enable a vehicle from cranking. On mine I can pull up a certain truck and see where all the truck drove today, how long it was stopped at its stops,etc. you get a login to a site, even works with my phone so I can do it on the go. I have been using it for the last 5 years now for my car business and its been great. I think I pay around 150-175 for the gps devices and they come with like 500 free locates/disable/enables and battery backup in case it were to get stolen and someone unhooks the battery on the car.

PLS-Tx
08-29-2010, 03:20 PM
This exactly! They had a 25 minute stop at a spot where we have no clients, so I drove through that evening and there were 3 different properties that were freshly cut... they didn't do them all, but more than likely did 1 or 2 of them. That was last Thursday, today we'll see if they do it again.

I also had the crews switch routes one day last week before the GPS was on and a neighbor came out to ask the non-regular crew "Can you mow my lawn again? $20 bucks like last time?"

I would be HOT, heads would roll. :nono:

Mow Man
08-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Can you get me some info on this devose? A company name would be great ! Thanks
RTB

stan the man
08-29-2010, 03:28 PM
that is real bad that your crew is screwing around. the last company i work before i went on my own was doing drugs and drinking beer. i got out

gob71
08-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Can you get me some info on this devose? A company name would be great ! Thanks
RTB

Sure, let me call him monday and ask what # to give you because all i have is his personal cell phone. I see you are in SC like me, most likely he can come by and do a demo for you, he travels all over SC NC and TN

perdition_72
09-01-2010, 12:21 AM
We run 2 crews as well. I have a foreman for each route. I give all the crews a weekly schedule of there start and finish times. I explain to the foreman that it is their responsibility to finish all of the work with the highest quality without going over the hours scheduled. I monitor this weekly. I also advise them, that if they think they may go over the scheduled hours, I want to know why and how many before it happens. Furthermore, I explain that if they cannot do this, then I will be forced to get someone who can. Been doing this for a awhile this way, and have had very few hiccups with this approach.