PDA

View Full Version : Need Renovation Advice Southern Ohio

wyoming lawn service
08-11-2010, 01:32 PM
Hey everyone. I live in southern ohio, just north of Cincinnati. I need advice on what to do with my lawn.

I have mostly I believe tall fescue and some kentucky 31 in the back yard. Good bit of weeds and crabgrass.

I plan on just weed and feed the back yard. Need to keep it full of grass this fall for dogs and son.

Front and side yard I want to this fall.

1) Kill weeds
2) Aerate and overseed or just slit seed. I plan to mow with bagger on lowest setting. Rake and then overseed.

3) Sow tall fescue or KBG. Can't decided! Need help with suggestions.

4) Lay down starter fertilzer.

This is what has been to the yard so far.

1) Overseed this spring with tall fescue but didn't do a great job. Then I got about 1000 dandilions and crabgrass. So I threw down a feed and feed in the spring.

2) Liquid weed killer applied in later spring.
3) Aug. 9th application of Scotts summer gaurd.
4) Aug 11th application front and side of Ortho Weed Be Gone

So I will in 30 days Mow really short and get ready to overseed. Need seed suggestions.

Water, Water, Water.

Starter fertilize.

Next spring I can apply a pre-emergant for crabgrass and other weeds.

Critques of my plan please...

Smallaxe
08-11-2010, 09:28 PM
With dogs you need to understand what the lawn needs and how to finnesse the situation to include dogs.
Years of dealing with lawns and dogs, have yeilded nothing but old wives tales and failure.

bigslick7878
08-12-2010, 12:33 AM
Hey everyone. I live in southern ohio, just north of Cincinnati. I need advice on what to do with my lawn.

I have mostly I believe tall fescue and some kentucky 31 in the back yard. Good bit of weeds and crabgrass.

I plan on just weed and feed the back yard. Need to keep it full of grass this fall for dogs and son.

Front and side yard I want to this fall.

1) Kill weeds
2) Aerate and overseed or just slit seed. I plan to mow with bagger on lowest setting. Rake and then overseed.

3) Sow tall fescue or KBG. Can't decided! Need help with suggestions.

4) Lay down starter fertilzer.

This is what has been to the yard so far.

1) Overseed this spring with tall fescue but didn't do a great job. Then I got about 1000 dandilions and crabgrass. So I threw down a feed and feed in the spring.

2) Liquid weed killer applied in later spring.
3) Aug. 9th application of Scotts summer gaurd.
4) Aug 11th application front and side of Ortho Weed Be Gone

So I will in 30 days Mow really short and get ready to overseed. Need seed suggestions.

Water, Water, Water.

Starter fertilize.

Next spring I can apply a pre-emergant for crabgrass and other weeds.

Critques of my plan please...

You can weed, and THEN feed. Combo products that try to do both are for people who like the catchy "weed and feed" marketing ploy who have no clue.

Spray a liquid weed killer NOW. It will take a good 2 weeks and a couple mowings before you eliminate a lot of the weeds. If there are large patches of crabgrass I would eliminate them with round up if possible. Spray the entire yard, no reason to only do the side like it appears you have.

Then you can seed. In your area you need a turf type tall fescue. Water water water.

After about a month (at the end of Sept) then you can FEED with a good fertilizer.

wyoming lawn service
08-12-2010, 02:19 AM
Thank you!

One question, how long do I need to wait until seeding after I spray a liquid weed killer?

bigslick7878
08-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Thank you!

One question, how long do I need to wait until seeding after I spray a liquid weed killer?

Wait until you mow twice and all the weeds are dead. About 2 good weeks or maybe 3 depending how bad it is.

The liquid attaches to the foliage of the grass and does not get in the soil if that is what you are worried about.

wyoming lawn service
08-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Ok I sprayed the whole yard with ortho weed be gone. Will spot spray crab grass and clumps of ky 31 with spectricide grass and weed killer tomorrow afternoon. Will need to now this weekend.

Should I rent a core aerator or slit seeder?

Thanks for your help!
Posted via Mobile Device

bigslick7878
08-12-2010, 09:23 PM
Ok I sprayed the whole yard with ortho weed be gone. Will spot spray crab grass and clumps of ky 31 with spectricide grass and weed killer tomorrow afternoon. Will need to now this weekend.

Should I rent a core aerator or slit seeder?

Thanks for your help!
Posted via Mobile Device

If you want the best results rent both.

Aerate and then slice it up and that seed is pretty much guaranteed to come in as long as you water it a lot.

Smallaxe
08-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Where are the dogs going to be, during this time?

wyoming lawn service
08-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Smallaxe I have a fenced backyard. I was mainly concernened about the front and side yard. If I overseed the back then they will be inside as usual. They only spend a little time outside. Until grass is established they can be taken on a walk to use the bathroom.

I contacted my local Ohio state extension office. They recommend a turf type tall fescue blend.
He also mentioned perrineal rye as suitable just not as attractibe. Which has me thinking I might use that for just the backyard.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
08-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I missread the OP, good luck.

bigslick7878
08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Smallaxe I have a fenced backyard. I was mainly concernened about the front and side yard. If I overseed the back then they will be inside as usual. They only spend a little time outside. Until grass is established they can be taken on a walk to use the bathroom.

I contacted my local Ohio state extension office. They recommend a turf type tall fescue blend.
He also mentioned perrineal rye as suitable just not as attractibe. Which has me thinking I might use that for just the backyard.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would stay away from perennial rye unless you have some shade. The heat will burn it up in no time, not a good option for your area.
Posted via Mobile Device

wyoming lawn service
08-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Smallaxe no problem. Thank you for taking the time to help me!

What do you guys think of a tall fescue / bluegrass mix?
Posted via Mobile Device

wyoming lawn service
08-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Okay well change of plans. NEW plan...

Front/Side Yard:

Sprayed ultrakillz (25% glyphosate) on the entire front/side yard.

Will slit seed in a few more weeks. 1st week September.

Decided to do this because I want a uniform yard that is all turf type Tall Fescue. Did not think I would be happy with all the variety of grasses in my yard.

Fenced Back Yard Approx 3,000 sq ft:

Because of the dogs and 4yr old boy I decided I am not gonna do a full renovation.

1) Kill weeds
2) Kill larger patches of crabgrass with glyphosate.
3) Slit-Seed.

I will post pictures when the new grass starts coming in.

I believe I will be putting down Crossfire II or possibly a blend if I can find a good one locally.

wyoming lawn service
08-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Just bought my seed today. Execu-turf tuff turf. Blend of inferno, avenger, and sidewinder.
Can't wait to see the results!
Posted via Mobile Device

wyoming lawn service
09-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Okay guys I am back with more questions!

Planted tall fescue blend on tue september 7th. I rented a clausen slit seeder and made two passes on my yard. Total set on two passes was around 10lbs/1000 sq ft.

Seedlings have started to germinate in a few spots. Some portions have zero germination. Those have me a little worried. I am watering as much as possible but not as frequent as I should. (doing my best!) Also but down Pennington Starter fertilizer about 4 days ago.

Questions

1) I have about 20lbs of left over seed...what should I do with it? Spread it with broadcast spreader? Save it for potential barespots in a month?

2) What do I do if the TTTF does not come in as thick as I hope?

3) How long until I see full germination? 21 days? 14 days?

Thanks!

RigglePLC
09-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Perennial rye has strong seedling vigor, comes up quick and it is attractive. However, if you are in the transition zone. It might not stand the heat. And if you plant a mix of tall fescue and rye--you may very well find out that the rye crowded out 90 percent of the slower germinating TTTF. And when it gets hot, the rye succumbs to heat and disease, leaving you with a few clumps ot TTTF to serve as your "lawn". Rye does fine in Michigan. Someone near your Cincinatti area can advise you better. Slit seeder is the tool of choice. Seed now when temps are just below 85. You get quick germination--and you want to seed 6 weeks before frost. (Unless you are seeding bermuda--when you want to seed 6 weeks AFTER frost.)

wyoming lawn service
09-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Riggle I have already planted 100% tttf slit seeded 9 days ago....please reread my last post and questions
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
09-17-2010, 08:37 AM
When you do you watering, do you have puddles?
The biggest stress of seeding is, patience. You really won't know how well you did till next spring. :)

wyoming lawn service
09-17-2010, 08:44 AM
No I don't have puddles. All the ground is very soft though. Water each area for 15-20 minutes twice to three times a day. Most of the time it is watered once in morning and once in evening. Then twice a week when I am off work it is watered three times during day only.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
09-17-2010, 11:26 AM
Sorry, I skipped a page. It sounds like you are on the right track. Save some of that seed for thin spots, either this fall or spring. I usually suggest feeding to build thickness. Fertilize at about 30 days and about 60 days. You want to get it as thick as possible and build deeper, fatter roots. Some of that fert will be taken up and stored in the roots for a fast start in the spring. Don't forget crabgrass control in spring. And remember crabgrass control prevents new seed from coming up.
Full germination should be in 21 days--my opinion, only. Depends on soil temp and moisture. If it does not come in thick enough, plenty of fertilizer and water will increase thickness. Maybe other members in you area who have experience with tall fescue seedings can advise you best. I would sy (just guessing), that any area that has new grass seedlings more than 4 inches apart--will need more seed.

wyoming lawn service
09-17-2010, 06:51 PM
So let's say after 21 days. I should broadcast more seed if I have bare areas? Hoping in next week more germinates! Been getting some everyday. Plan on fertilizer on 30 and 60 day mark. Excited and nervous ha! Worried that first week in October will be too late in Cincinnati for additional seeding. What are your thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
09-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Temps above 60 should work OK. If you have a few days of Indian summer, seed for thin spots should work out fine. Late seeding will not be particulary tall before cold sets in. When high temps remain below 45, season is about done. Put away your lawn mower.

Normal high temp average for November is 54 in Cincinatti.
http://www.cincinnati.world-guides.com/cincinnati_weather.html

Smallaxe
09-19-2010, 10:16 AM
I would continue to seed as long as I saw a need. Not slit seeding seed of course but a handful here and there as required. [I hope your mix has 0, (zero) annual rye in it. For fall seeding, you want no AR, because it masks, your real germination, of real grasses.]

Anyways, we have many winters in which the ground never freezes under the snow, so your newly germinated seed after Halloween, MAY still be alive at Christmas, and start growing at Easter. Balance that against the value of a handful of seed and a little time. :)

wyoming lawn service
09-19-2010, 03:42 PM
100% tall fescue. Thanks for the feedback guys
Posted via Mobile Device