PDA

View Full Version : fescue seed - what kind/brand do you use

stephen424
08-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Aeration season is almost here.
I've always used Lesco tri-gold, which I get for about $43/bag for a 50lb bag.
Is there something better out there? Does Shemins make a seed?
Posted via Mobile Device

BrunoT
08-11-2010, 02:50 PM
That sounds like about half the going rate for the improved cultivars, though I no longer buy much of that stuff.

Is that some form of K-31 or something? Many would find that stuff too coarse these days, with the greener, finer ones out there in the neighbors' lawns.

STL Cuts
08-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I usually get Jaguar, it runs $59 per 50 pound bag, I think it actually came down $20-$30 this year.

Harley-D
08-11-2010, 03:50 PM
Trigold is a blue tag certified TTTF (Turf type tall fescue). You should stay with that or a similar. The varieties in the bag change a little but are mostly the top fescues according to NTEP results. You will not be disappointed. Check your soil for ph and phosphorus before you seed. Check your stats Bruno. Trigold is the name but the components change constantly.

grassmasterswilson
08-11-2010, 04:52 PM
I go through a local dealer and not a lesco, JDL, etc. So think my prices are a little lower, my prices are usually way under $1 per pound.. Last year i used a custom blend of Inferno, Piedmont, and Desire tall fescue, which came from a company called turf science genetics. This year they have a blend called PMI-3way. I think it might be last year cultivars and there fore a little cheaper per bag. Anyone heard of it?

If I can ask what mark up are you passing on to customer for buying/spreading seed? Or what is you per 1000 sq ft price for aeration/seeding/fertilizing? i was real low last year, but still made good money. Thinking of charging 25-30 per 1000.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
08-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I believe I was at $35/K for aerate/slice seed/fert last season. Need to re-evaluate for this season though.