PDA

View Full Version : exhaust valve guide is blown out on Kohler.

LawnMower
08-11-2010, 06:21 PM
The engine is a 25 HP Kohler Command off a Bob Cat ZTR.

Should I replace the exhaust valve guide, or get a new engine? The engine has about 2500 hours on it.

The lawn mower shop took it apart but they gave it back to me do to my money issues. I have a choice of having them put it back together with the new parts. Or I can put it back together with the new parts. Im a good back yard mechanic. Or I can buy a new engine.

Whats a good choice?

Ruben Rocha
08-11-2010, 06:49 PM
2500 hours is getting close to EOL.
So that is a hard call.
What about other items to consider. Like replacing the mower
Hydraulic system, Condition of mower frame or deck.

TurboMazda
08-11-2010, 06:54 PM
The engine is a 25 HP Kohler Command off a Bob Cat ZTR.

Should I replace the exhaust valve guide, or get a new engine? The engine has about 2500 hours on it.

The lawn mower shop took it apart but they gave it back to me do to my money issues. I have a choice of having them put it back together with the new parts. Or I can put it back together with the new parts. Im a good back yard mechanic. Or I can buy a new engine.

Whats a good choice?

What ever suits you best.............put it together or have them do it, or if you prefer a new engine, you mention it has 2,500 hours on it, is it worth it to rebuilt?

LawnMower
08-11-2010, 07:39 PM
The mower has no rust. The frame and mowing deck are in good condition One of the hydraulic pumps and motor are brand new. There are 2 new spindles. So I think the mower has some life left.

I had an oil leak that clogged the cooling system with oil soaked dirt. That's why the engine let go.

There are some good deals on EBay for Kohler Command 25 HP. so that may be the way to go.