PDA

View Full Version : DOT Regulation..

pavwa
08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
I know that the dot #s need to be on each side of the truck but does my company info need to be on both sides or can I get away with just putting it on the back window and that's it? I would rather not put any stickers on the paint and i have a crew cab and dont really want to put it on the windows (that role down ) if I don't have to.. Thanks

jimmyjack
08-11-2010, 08:26 PM
i think all you need are the numbers ....i dont think you need your company name and number on the truck

JPsDuramax
08-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Federal law requires any truck that is required to have a DOT # must have the company's name on the sides of the vehicle in addition to the DOT #. Some companies also include the city and state they are based out of but that is not required.

clydebusa
08-11-2010, 11:02 PM
This answers your question.

www.oregon.gov/ODOT/MCT/docs/truckid.pdf

JPsDuramax
08-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for posting that link. I was trying to post the federal one buyu computer froze. Stuck on the mobile now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Runner
08-12-2010, 12:31 AM
This is only partially correct for here in Michigan. Any and every vehicle used for commercial purposes are required to have the following labeling: Company or owner name, location (city and state), and DOT numbers. On an open pickup truck, this info is to be displayed on each side of the vehicle and placed on the front doors. Lettering is to be no smaller than 3" in height, and must be displayed with a legible contrasting color.
Along with this, yo must have you safety inspection documentation within sight (windshield or dash), and your proper safety equipment consisting of the following: Fire extinguisher, no less than 3 orange reflective triangles (they no longer accept flares). Trailer must have brakes on all axles, and equipped with a break-away system. Driver is required to have a chauffeur endorsement, along with a current DOT physical medical certificate.

Mark Oomkes
08-12-2010, 08:58 AM
This is only partially correct for here in Michigan. Any and every vehicle used for commercial purposes are required to have the following labeling: Company or owner name, location (city and state), and DOT numbers. On an open pickup truck, this info is to be displayed on each side of the vehicle and placed on the front doors. Lettering is to be no smaller than 3" in height, and must be displayed with a legible contrasting color.
Along with this, yo must have you safety inspection documentation within sight (windshield or dash),

If your vehicle (truck or trailer) has a GVW of over 10,001 lbs.

and your proper safety equipment consisting of the following: Fire extinguisher, no less than 3 orange reflective triangles (they no longer accept flares). Trailer must have brakes on all axles, and equipped with a break-away system. Driver is required to have a chauffeur endorsement, along with a current DOT physical medical certificate.

If your vehicle or combination of vehicles is over 10,001 lbs.

Runner
08-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Yes,...THIS is correct...that is better worded... it is the combination of the two. Thanks for catching that.

jimmyjack
08-13-2010, 05:51 PM
well i guess i was wrong

knox gsl
08-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Some DOT officers will make a big deal about the font size and color as well so keep it legal. In my experience it is best to keep everything legal and equipment clean, this makes you less of a target for a board DOT enforcer.

LoweJ82
08-13-2010, 06:47 PM
So if my F350 psd is 8200 pounds empty, around 9k loaded, I cant take the g/f and her mom to dinner without fear of having a dot inspection?

knox gsl
08-13-2010, 07:25 PM
I hope the 2 of them don't put you over 10K, but no unless you have a US DOT number on the side of your truck and its only lisenced for 10K

LoweJ82
08-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Im good untill 12k with a D plate here in IL, and no there no where close to that big lol just coulnt resist.

JPsDuramax
08-14-2010, 12:16 AM
On the F350, I know the GVWR is over 10K on those trucks, as we have one in our company. If its registered to your company and you cross state lines you will be subject to DOT regulations. If they pull you ovr across state lines and its registered as a business vehicle (or commercial) you will be cited for not having DOT numbers as well as anything else required to be commercial. They may even put you out-of-service, if they find too many things wrong. If you stay in state, and your state doesn't require it, then don't worry. Here in Georgia, anyone who is over 10K (truck or combined) have to abide by all regulations unless they are a recreational vehicle or farm vehicle.

LoweJ82
08-14-2010, 12:53 AM
My truck has been wieghed many times over & over, 99 psd dually, 9' utility bed with space between the cab & bed. 8200 lbs with just me in it. I end up 200 lbs over my plate when picking up 2 ton of rock from local supply yard that wieghs you in and out.

Runner
08-14-2010, 01:55 AM
It has nothing to do with what your truck weighs, and what it weighs with a load in it. It is the trucks GVWR. Look on the inside of the door, and there will be a tag that states this. If your truck says for instance 8600 lb GVWR, then it is 8600 lbs. This means if you pull a single axled trailer - with one 3500 lb. axle (the most common size axle for our type industry), then that puts your truck at 12,100 combined GVWR. Even if it was a 1500 lb axle on the trailer, that puts it at 10,100 lbs. combined. THIS is what they go by. Now, granted, most trailers are dual axle, so each axle is measured for the trailers capacity (2 x 3500 lb., etc.). Regardless if the trailer is full of mowers, or empty,...it is measured this way. They don't go by what you're hauling,...they go by your capacity to haul. One exception,...they go by what you're hauling if you are over weight for your vehicles.

ajslands
08-14-2010, 01:57 AM
Some DOT officers will make a big deal about the font size and color as well so keep it legal. In my experience it is best to keep everything legal and equipment clean, this makes you less of a target for a board DOT enforcer.

3" tall is the law!
Posted via Mobile Device

Runner
08-14-2010, 03:16 AM
And one thing, real quick...Here in Michigan, the city and state IS required...Phone number and all other info (services, etc.), are not required, and can be placed anywhere on the truck.

JPsDuramax
08-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Exactly it's not your actual weight it is the max the truck (and trailer) can carry including the weight of the vehicle, cargo, passengers, fuel etc. Your state may not enforce DOT regs if you stay local and are under 26000gvw. Crossing state lines is a different matter.

As far as the city and state goes, that is a state by state code. The main requirement ( and this is federal guidelines) is that the name and dot # must appear on both sides of the drive vehicle (not the trailer).
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
08-16-2010, 09:37 AM
On the F350, I know the GVWR is over 10K on those trucks, as we have one in our company. If its registered to your company and you cross state lines you will be subject to DOT regulations. If they pull you ovr across state lines and its registered as a business vehicle (or commercial) you will be cited for not having DOT numbers as well as anything else required to be commercial. They may even put you out-of-service, if they find too many things wrong. If you stay in state, and your state doesn't require it, then don't worry. Here in Georgia, anyone who is over 10K (truck or combined) have to abide by all regulations unless they are a recreational vehicle or farm vehicle.

Maybe in GA, but a truck that falls under commercial vehicle\DOT guidelines while working is exempt when being used for personal uses in MI. If I haul my fifth wheel behind my 550 for camping, it is no longer a commercial vehicle, even though it has the USDOT number, city\state and company name.

Same goes for my personal 350.

It has nothing to do with what your truck weighs, and what it weighs with a load in it. It is the trucks GVWR. Look on the inside of the door, and there will be a tag that states this. If your truck says for instance 8600 lb GVWR, then it is 8600 lbs. This means if you pull a single axled trailer - with one 3500 lb. axle (the most common size axle for our type industry), then that puts your truck at 12,100 combined GVWR. Even if it was a 1500 lb axle on the trailer, that puts it at 10,100 lbs. combined. THIS is what they go by. Now, granted, most trailers are dual axle, so each axle is measured for the trailers capacity (2 x 3500 lb., etc.). Regardless if the trailer is full of mowers, or empty,...it is measured this way. They don't go by what you're hauling,...they go by your capacity to haul. One exception,...they go by what you're hauling if you are over weight for your vehicles.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

And one thing, real quick...Here in Michigan, the city and state IS required...Phone number and all other info (services, etc.), are not required, and can be placed anywhere on the truck.

However, Dept of Ag requires phone numbers if you are a pesticide applicator. :dizzy::rolleyes::dizzy::rolleyes:

Runner
08-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Yes! They sure do! Thank you for mentioning that. :)

Duffster
09-23-2010, 01:19 PM

What if it is not registered to a company?

I am not aware of any personal exemption on a federal level.

JPsDuramax
09-23-2010, 04:10 PM
It depends what you are hauling. If your towing campers, boats, atvs, etc then no you do not need to be DOT registered. if you are hauling construction or landscape equipment, it depends on the state. You may have to prove that it is for personal use. I would say you would have to be DOT registered. Kind of a gray area. I make sure to have the marked vehicle if I'm picking up something across the state line. Better to be safe
Posted via Mobile Device

TurnerLawnService
09-24-2010, 12:02 AM
so i just heard somethin about kentucky state police are gettin ready to start seting up road blocks to check us all and somethin about a checklist of all kinds of crap, and something about gas cans bein a hazardous material , anybody else delt with any of this? and also what about auditing? anybody had it done a lawn care was audited for 4 hours and got all kinds of fines over it for not writing down hours