PDA

View Full Version : Cooked lunch on my manifold today

PetalsandPines
08-02-2002, 09:36 PM
With the oppressive heat we have, I stopped into an air conditioned store at 10:00 this morning, bought a can of "pull tab" chunky soup that was on sale for a buck, placed it on the manifold of my 97 F-350 and voila! by noon I had a steaming hot lunch, (just becareful of the glue that holds the label on) I nearly hotglued the can to my hand. Sorry this isn't as exciting as stripes, but this heat is making me delirious when I cut lawns. I don't know how you boys in the south do it! Some day we must begin a thread that deals with bentgrass, and how many times you have to tell the old folks year after year the same old story on bentgrass being a noxious weed in a bluegrass lawn.blah blah blah....lady....please don't rake your lawn!!!!

FrankenScagMachines
08-02-2002, 10:14 PM
LOL!
Yea it's hot here too. Highs today of 92 degrees, supposed to be up in the 100's next week (aaahh! :eek: :eek: ) but here it's not only hot, it's real muggy (very humid here in Indiana) so you sweat profusely at any time of the day at any hour (during the night too if you camp out) and low's of 68 during the nights! Needless to say I don't camp out much! Of course this is nearing our hottest part of the year for us, but the heat is keeping me in the house almost all the time, in the evenings if it cools off some I go out to the garage, turn the fan on high and piddle around alittle on my puller tractor or my Scag mower rebuild project, or whatever else.
Drink lots of water and avoid soft drinks.
Happy mowing!
Eric

TLS
08-02-2002, 10:25 PM
Dont need a manifold to cook soup today!!!

mowngrow
08-02-2002, 11:25 PM
it has been in the mid to high 90's here for about 3-4 weeks
it has hit the 100's for a couple of days.
the heat doesn't bother me it's the humidity here in Arkansas
drink plenty of fluids

greenman
08-02-2002, 11:55 PM
mowngrow- I knew it was hot but didn't know it had reached 100, no wonder I felt overheated today!
Oh well, back to work tomorrow.

JJ Lawn
08-02-2002, 11:59 PM
Been hot (high 90's) here in SW Arkansas too.... Humidity has not been too high though. As for putting up with the heat? No real problem I just do one yard at a time, do not get in a hurry, and I do drink plenty of water.

Last customer today asked if I would check coverage on sprinkler system. Did not have to ask me twice. As I was already soaking wet, the cool water sure felt good.

Jim

PetalsandPines
08-03-2002, 01:45 AM
The other night the low here was 80 Degrees with 90 - 100% humidity (I assume from lake erie)...Our Dewpoint has been as high as 78 the other day. Something is NOT right this year. This is Buffalo not Key West!!! Do you guys notice that the sun seems a lot more intense this year?

Tony Harrell
08-03-2002, 06:57 AM
I 'bout fell out last saturday. I think I had heat exhaustion or something. I'm going to take some Gatorade with me today. Last sunday, just walking out of the house and breathing the hot, humid air was tough for me. I'm working on a more balanced business plan that will include weed/pest/fert applications and mowing hopefully will be done on higher end lawns or ones that I install. That's the goal and I'm working towards it. Not many scrubs competing for the chem applications.

Ax Man
08-03-2002, 07:09 AM
I'm working about 70 miles south west of you in Buffalo, and know the feeling . Though withour elevation we are 10 degrees cooler.
Thursday I wasted an hour going into stores looking for lenses for trailer lights.
Don't bother if you really need one just buy a new assembly.
But the A-C sure felt nice.
I usually put down close to a gallon of h2o a day, and have added a half gallon of gatorade to my intake the last couple days.
And still what comes out the other end looks like orange juice!
LOL
It's suppossed to be cooler Tuesday on into the week.

Bob Minney
08-03-2002, 09:53 AM
99 wed
then a cold front moved in thurs-high of 72, makes me wish for fall
93 friday

guess it was just a teaser

88-89 have been the milder days, mostly 90's
I take microwave popcorn with me, keep it in the cooler till I'm ready, expose to air for 3 minutes and you are ready to go

65hoss
08-03-2002, 10:09 AM
hahaha, guys with outside jobs complaining about the heat. Wanna come down south?

Seriously, stop telling yourselves how hot it is. Your mind is very powerful. Tell yourself "I'm the man and I can handle this sissy heat!". Your mind can get the best of you so manage your thoughts.

nokomower
08-03-2002, 02:04 PM
:blob2: :blob2: HEY GUYS THE FLORIDA HEAT AND HUMIDTY IS YEAR ROUND DEC AND JAN IS THE ONLY WINTER WEATHER BREAK WE GET. FEEL LUCKY!!!!! THE ONLY WAY TO BEAT THE HEAT IS TO DRINK ALOT OF WATER AND KEEP YOUR GATORADE HANDY. PACE YOURSELF AND THINK OF EASIER WAYS OF COMPLETING THE SAME TASK. I FIND THE MOST HEAT IS BETWEEN 10 AND 2. THE HARDEST PART I FIND IS THE FIRST SWEAT OF THE DAY AFTER THAT THE BODY ADJUSTS TO THE HEAT. I RUN FANS IN MY TRUCK INSTEAD OF A/C YOU DON'T WANT TO COOL OFF YOUR BODY TOO MUCH ONLY TO HAVE TO ADJUST TO THE HEAT ALL OVER AGAIN. MAYBE SOMEDAY THEY WILL FIND AN A/C UNIT FOR A ZTR . LOL MOST OF ALL DON'T FORGET THE SUNSCREEN!!!!! :D

nokomower
08-03-2002, 02:17 PM
DON'T PLAY A FOOL TO THE SUN. TO MANY PEOPLE FALL PREY TO HEAT STROKE WITHOUT KNOW IT . IF YOU STOP SWEATING AND DON'T STAY HYDRATED YOU GOING DOWN THE ROAD TO PROBLEMS IT HAPPENS FASTER THAN YOU THINK. THERE IS NO RACE IN THE HEAT. TAKE TIME FOR A DRINK OF COLD WATER AND COOL OFF IN THE SHADE.

Green Pastures
08-03-2002, 09:46 PM
Water, Water, Water...........

Scott

yardman1
08-05-2002, 03:53 PM
Try moving to the south, we have heat about 9 months out of the year. It gets so humid that you sweat walking to get the mail out of the mailbox:blob2:

Remsen1
08-05-2002, 04:53 PM
I live in central NewYork, we only have 6-8 weeks of this kind of weather so this was new to me, but maybe not new to you.

They make outdoor "Air Conditioners". The units are very simple and could probably be made in your own shop. Basically they are garden hoses with many very tiny holes. The hose is capped off at one end and a light mist escapes through the tiny holes. They work really well too. The mist is so fine that you don't actually get wet and the water temperature and evaporation process cools the air.

Perhaps we could come up with a similar unit that mounts on our machines. Something like a drink cooler that you could fill with ice water, pressurize the drink cooler with a hand pump, or better still a wheel driven pump. Have a hose out the bottom of the cooler and positioned in a manner that would allow the driver to pass through the cool air has he/she drives around.

yardboyltd
08-05-2002, 07:10 PM
One question: How was the soup?

roscioli
08-05-2002, 07:54 PM
Nothing like hot soup on a hot day! :) Yardman- Do you mean I am not supposed to sweat going to get the mail normally?

Albemarle Lawn
08-05-2002, 10:21 PM
Manifold Destiny

"Manifold Destiny" is the title of a book that came out a few years ago about cooking on car engines.

Last year I warmed several dozen cans of flip-top Chunky on my Mitsubishi-Fuso diesel. The best part is the engine sticks out behind the cab and you don't have to open a hood. The drawback was that, as a diesel, it never really got very hot.

I have a Kohler 25 that is missing the heat shield and I have ccoked hotdogs on a stick campfire-style on that. Have alse re-heated fried chicken.

This year I'm on a diet. I don't manifold chef anymore as I usually eat apples, peaches, yogurt, etc for lunch. Went from 225 to 195 in the last 4 months. (I'm 6'0")

KB

BigJim
08-05-2002, 10:34 PM
"101 recipes you can cook on your Lawn Mower Engine"what a great idea for a book,bound to be a best seller.Anyone got a good recipe for cookies ?:D

TurfGuyTX
08-08-2002, 05:37 PM
I agree, the mind is your best friend concerning the heat. Me and my guys don't ever begin to think it's even hot until it hits 100+. We challenge it. We know when the heat goes, business slows. Water is better than any other drinks.

dr grass
08-08-2002, 07:08 PM
i agreee totally with hoss, and turf. its a mind over matter thing. i use to get soooooooooooooooooooo pissed when it got hot out. than this year i just told myself look, there isnt nothing you can do about it. just learn to adjust to it. now the heat doesnt bother me at all. your brain is a powerful organ. learn to use it ! !

Shep:dizzy:

Bob Minney
08-08-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by dr grass
[B. your brain is a powerful organ. learn to use it ! !

Shep:dizzy: [/B]

Way I got it figured we are, brain makes the mouth open to
b!tch, hot air is released, we cool off ;)