PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Aerator?

Kurto_15
08-11-2010, 09:07 PM
A buddy of mine have a ryan aerator he will sell me for $500. Its about 10 years old but looks and runs good. It has the briggs and straton engine. Is this a good deal

turfcobob
08-12-2010, 10:16 AM
A buddy of mine have a ryan aerator he will sell me for $500. Its about 10 years old but looks and runs good. It has the briggs and straton engine. Is this a good deal

things to check

engine: How does it run? Check the 6 to 1 reduction and make sure it does not leak and the shaft does not wobble.

Chains and sprockets: Check them for wear and alignment. If they are out of alignment check to see why.

Shaft that holds the tines: This shaft tends to wear on the ends. If you can slide the shaft back and forth either the shaft or sides of the machine are worn. This can be fixed but requires a tear down. Shaft bearings / bushings can be checked by grabbing the tine reel and trying to move it fore and aft in the housing. If you can the bearings are worn.

Tines: If the tips are worn to where the tines are flat on the end they are ready for replacement. Not a big deal you can get them from Turfco for something like $3 each.

Handle and lift links: See if they are worn and loose this is common. If they are they should be repaired as it makes the unit harder to lift. The struts that hold the tires on the side of the machine tend to bend outward like a VW and when they get too far it is a problem.

Front Roller Tank: Check it for wear and cracks. Not too pricey to replace a few hundred but a real pain to replace.

Frame: check it for cracks around all the welds and the front bumper. This is a common problem with Ryan.

Just a few things to look for and if they are ok $500 is not a bad price

stephen424
08-12-2010, 05:17 PM
i just bought 2 aerators (Ryan IV)

Bought an 2004 from Hertz for $575 and bought another 2004 from sunbelt for $525

Sunbelt also had a 2006 Ryan IV for $650

That should give you an idea on the deal you're getting. Just call a local rental shop and ask them for the book value of a 2000 aerator. They'll have it cause that's what they go by to price theirs

Lefet
08-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Great info Turfcobob!!