PDA

View Full Version : Lightingshrink.com - connectors for pros!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Congratulations to my friend and colleague Jeremy. His connectors are making news!

Water-Tight connections are a critical element in landscape lighting.
Nothing is better than lightingshrink!
Jan Moyer, www.Janmoyerdesign.com

Hardscape Magazine... feature article;
http://www.hardscapemagazine.com/articles_construction_07.htm

ABC'S Extreme Make over Home Edition...featured connector ;
http://abc.go.com/shows/extreme-makeover-home-edition/episode-guide/mattingly-family/320338

A great alternative to the venerable (but tricky and time consuming) "ACE" style connectors.

The Lighting Geek
08-12-2010, 12:34 AM
I switched over to LightingShrink some time ago and have not looked back! The best connection out there for the professional.

Congrats Jeremy!

niteliters
08-12-2010, 03:56 PM
jeremy just joined AOLP, www.aolponline.org as well. have enjoyed using his product and am glad he's a member

Alan B
08-12-2010, 06:40 PM
Jeremy,

PR is like a snowball... it keeps building on itself. I just submitted an article for a trade mag and gave lightingshrink a plug. I after reading this post this AM it reminded me to mention in line style connections.

Cheers!

Alan

David Gretzmier
08-15-2010, 10:54 PM
over the past 5 years, having replaced a hundred or so corroded heat shrink leads on par 36 cans that were installed by myself and others 10-15 years ago, I can tell you from experience that heat shrink tubing will eventually allow water to wick up the insulation. The more wires in the heat shrink, the quicker the corrosion happens. You just cannot get heat shrink to fully seal 2 wires on either side of the connection. you are asking something round to essentially shrink to a figure 8 cross section shape. The good news is for me, on the older par 36 stuff, the corrosion stops 95% of the time at the grease wire connection I made to the home runs, hub, or just to heavier guage wire than the lead.

I cannot in good conscience reccomend heat shrink much beyond 10 years life. too many have failed.

I do think it looks cool and feels professional when you use the torch. I still use it on par 36 cans that folks refuse to replace, by using a heat shrink spade connector with additional heat shrink tubing over that to the wire.

The Lighting Geek
08-15-2010, 11:59 PM
David, have you tried the product we are talking about? I realize shrink tubing has been around, but the glue that exudes from the shrink tube of a Lighting Shrink connection is substantial. It fills in the gaps and works in between the wires. If you have not tried the specific Lighting Shrink system yet I recommend you get a sample pack from Jeremy and try it first hand. It is not just a typical shrink tube connection.

niteliters
08-16-2010, 07:46 AM
david, have to agree with Tommy..have u used this product? I had that problem with a manufacturers "ace" connector and others who tried knock off's, but the owner of Lighting Shrink is a contractor and used those same products. As a contractor, he made this connector from our perspective. I have found, if warmed properly, this connector to be an exceptional product.

trailboss
08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Is it a different adhesive lined heat shrink than what was used with the ace?

I always hated being up in a tree trying to find an allen wrench to tighten that connector. The crimp style butt connector is a much better way to go. We have been using this style for a while now and really like it.

Steve

David Gretzmier
08-16-2010, 11:51 PM
I apologize, from the photo's on his website it appears to be a barrel connector, a heavy crimper and then heat shink tubing. I did not see any waterproofing gel, it is not mentioned in any photo or any page. but I watched the install video and at the very last second you can see something whitish oozing out. I can only assume that it is in the underside of the heat shrink, and when shrunk, it then squeezes out and fills the gaps between wires when using 2 or more wires at either side of the barrel. This gel chenges everything, is a very good idea and I stand corrected.

The barrel with the crimp makes for a very strong connection, the heatshrink makes for a good cover, and the gel closes the deal makings this the best connector out there period. It is obviously superior to wire nuts and ace connectors.

somebody tell heating shrink to mention the gel ! That is the bomb !

Pro-Scapes
08-17-2010, 01:24 PM
I apologize, from the photo's on his website it appears to be a barrel connector, a heavy crimper and then heat shink tubing. I did not see any waterproofing gel, it is not mentioned in any photo or any page. but I watched the install video and at the very last second you can see something whitish oozing out. I can only assume that it is in the underside of the heat shrink, and when shrunk, it then squeezes out and fills the gaps between wires when using 2 or more wires at either side of the barrel. This gel chenges everything, is a very good idea and I stand corrected.

The barrel with the crimp makes for a very strong connection, the heatshrink makes for a good cover, and the gel closes the deal makings this the best connector out there period. It is obviously superior to wire nuts and ace connectors.

somebody tell heating shrink to mention the gel ! That is the bomb !

how would it be superior to an ace connector ? It is basically the same thing? The ace style connectors I have been using are quad wall tubing with industrial sealant. If you heat it right you see a nice amount of glue come out of the tubing. I never doubted it was sealed well. From soldering to ace connectors we have never had a connection fail from workmanship. Only one that has ever failed was at a base of a tree where a white tail buck rubbed the tree effectivly mangeling the wire and connectors beyond recognition

David Gretzmier
08-17-2010, 07:10 PM
I would vote on the crimp connector being faster and easier than the hex key nuts.

RLDesign
08-19-2010, 04:57 PM
david, have to agree with Tommy..have u used this product? I had that problem with a manufacturers "ace" connector and others who tried knock off's, but the owner of Lighting Shrink is a contractor and used those same products. As a contractor, he made this connector from our perspective. I have found, if warmed properly, this connector to be an exceptional product.

I have been away installing lightning shrink. I thought that was name... because it sped up my connections and saved me so much money!!!

Talk soon. Tanek

Inspired
08-29-2010, 05:06 AM
I was just about to chime in with something about lame heat shrink tubing when I got to David's posts. Glad I didn't. How can I get a sample pack to try out?

Mark B
08-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Is this the same type of heat shrink that plumbers use on well pump connections? These heat shrink are used in the well under the water.
Posted via Mobile Device

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-31-2010, 09:22 PM
I was just about to chime in with something about lame heat shrink tubing when I got to David's posts. Glad I didn't. How can I get a sample pack to try out?

Just go to www.lightingshrink.com and order a variety pack and a crimping tool.

bx24
09-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Might have to try these...Problem I am having is some systems on sprinklers I have installed over 12+ years ago had just wire nuts...Still going....But I am starting to do LED lighting now.

Inspired
09-02-2010, 11:04 PM
I have been away installing lightning shrink. I thought that was name... because it sped up my connections and saved me so much money!!!

Talk soon. Tanek

So how exactly did it speed up your wire connections? What were you doing before?

David Gretzmier
09-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I would say that these connections are faster than ace, but much, much slower than grease wire nuts. I did an install today that required heat shrink on a few fixtures, and we did wire nuts on the rest. with the wire and fixtures assembled, already laid out for me by my helper and I , I timed it, and I can strip and connect 4 fixtures on wirenuts to 1 fixture on heat shrink.

to do a wire splice that requires heat shrink, or any par 36 fixture that you should use heatshrink, Lighting Shrink is my new choice hands down.

niteliters
09-03-2010, 03:44 PM
So how exactly did it speed up your wire connections? What were you doing before?

as David said, a grease filled wire nut is faster, and a quick disc snap connector would be quicker that a grease filled wire nut. What you use depends upon a balance of price vs projected life of the connection. a "quick disc is the least expensive and I have seen it perform well in arid conditions ( no moisture, no corrosion). We have grease filled wire nuts on projects over a decade old that have performed well....however, over time, the heating up of the cable can cause the grease to evaporate, leading to corrosion. The "shrink' connection is usually the more expensive choice up front but performs the best for all geographic locations over the life of the system. Of the shrink connections that I have tried, Lighting Shrink, has the quickest system of installation and the most effective end result which is keeping out moisture. Best stated in the Movie "Black Sheep" I think...This connector was created by a working man, for the working man.

David Gretzmier
09-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I've never seen grease evaporate. I do think that when you unscrew/redo a grease connection you need to use a new one. I would say that if the amperage is cooking out the grease, then that is too many amps.