PDA

View Full Version : Dry Stone Raised Patios

4 seasons lawn&land
08-12-2010, 12:42 AM
Does anyone have any tips or process pics on dry raised patios? Do you have to pitch them or is the dry construction sufficient for surface drainage? Do you bother with Perf pipe behind the walls? Any sep fabric used?
Thanks for any info!

4Russl5
08-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I have done several. Build your wall for the patio, for 24" tall or less, with stones that are a minimum of 20" deep going in to the wall. Wall should be at least 20" thick with stone from top to bottom Just like you would build a dry stone retaining wall. No need for perf pipe. You can build a vertical or 2/12" batter if you want. I rarely use fabric. This project has Penn. tumbled for the patio material, 2-3" thick, and is about 200 sq. feet. the wall stone is Huckleberry Basalt. Don't fill with soil! I built this up with large crushed granite to finer material towards the top, 5/8" minus. Compact in 3-4" lifts so it is tight. I like fast draining surfaces. Fast to me is no standing water after 30-45 minutes after a heavy rain. Have fun amigo./Users/russbearsley/Desktop/Borrowed Ground Raised patio h3a.jpg

4 seasons lawn&land
08-12-2010, 09:45 PM
great info. Thanks. The stone size is surprising. You need the smallest stones to go in 20"? If you use anything 6-10" thick your looking at pieces heavier than me. Is it not enough to tie the wall together with the 20-30+ inch deep stuff while using standard wall stone?

4Russl5
08-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I build any raised bed/retaining wall/elevated patio to those standards. It looks beautiful, and it is of a high quality. 'Wall Stone' seems to be the new language for what masons call 'Ledge Stone'. More often than not, in a wide range of stones, I find that 'Wall Stone' is too shallow of bed depth to build a wall. It is a problem not buying from quarries and getting used to the limited size range of palletized material. We(landscapers/masons/wallers/builders) are/have been screwed by paying to much for material.
I run pretty conservative as I know that an outside radius is weaker than an inside radius. Just my 2 cents. Others will chime in with their knowledge soon I am sure.

4 seasons lawn&land
08-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Okay, makes sense. I know what you mean with the wholesale yards. I dont even use them. I can get just about any size delivery of bluestone trucked up from PA for WAY less than anything local. Any order over about 400 bucks is worth getting from the quarry. I gladly pay the 3-400 for trucking.

4Russl5
08-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Smart.
I was just up in Ontario helping a friend on a large dry stone walling project, and he had two 40 ton loads of material delivered for us. $30 a ton, $900 for trucking. Way better deal than palletized. You guys are blessed with good flat stones on the east coast.

4Russl5
08-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Smart.
I was just up in Ontario helping a friend on a large dry stone walling project, and he had two 40 ton loads of material delivered for us. $30 a ton, $900 for trucking. Way better deal than palletized. You guys are blessed with good flat stones on the east coast.