PDA

View Full Version : plastic edging

tplawnman
08-12-2010, 06:47 PM
What the best way to install plastic edging ? Should I used bed edger first and then install the plastic edging ? As u can see I never done this before....hahaha Any help would be great....Thanks !!

georgiagrass
08-12-2010, 11:53 PM
We will not install plastic edging. First, it looks cheap. Second, and more important, as often as not it will not stay in the ground. Instead, we sell the customers on trenching the bed edge.

dkinchicago
08-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Ya, I agree... x-nay on the plastic edging. Trenching is the way to go.

Stillwater
08-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Generally we do not install plastic edging unless it is temporary and we do not install weed barrier fabric in planting beds. If we find weed barrier fabric in landscaped beds we remove it.

Johnny test
08-13-2010, 07:11 PM
If we find weed barrier fabric in landscaped beds we remove it.

I understand the no plastic edging...I feel the same way but Why no fabric?

Will P.C.
08-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Probably 90 percent of the suburb homes in my area use pine straw. I find the fabric to do a good job at preventing weeds.

The homeowner must be educated that they need to keep up with replacing pine straw 2 times a year so you avoid seeing the ugly fabric.

Also, they need to understand that it is a PITA to plant stuff with this fabric.

The fabric is pretty expensive, but for the homeowner who wants to do as little maintenance as possible, it is a decent option.

I do not use it for my house and do not have a problem with weeds, but I monitor the weeds and replace pine straw when necessary.

I consider plastic edging to be amateur. I do not find it attractive, it looks cheap, and unless the homeowner stays on top of it, it comes up

Stillwater
08-14-2010, 01:09 AM
I understand the no plastic edging...I feel the same way but Why no fabric?

Landscape fabric appeals to people because it seems to solve the weed problem permanently it doesn't. The fabric prevents herbaceous ground covers and bulbs, from rooting as it grows and you wind up with so many holes in it that youíve destroyed the integrity of it as a weed barrier anyway- temporary as it may be. Any kind of non-biodegradeable landscape fabric or plastic that keeps weeds down also interrupts the soils life cycle by reducing o2 levels and prevents everything but water like fallen leaves or mulch from adding organic matter to your soil, leaving behind a hardened, dead zone where plants struggle to survive. Landscape fabric has a short effective lifespan as a weed barrier anyway (yes weed barrier can last ten years) but only effectively suppresses weeds for a year at best. Hardly a good investment in large landscaped areas. Properly mulched beds will suppress weeds so why the fabric. Their is nothing more ugly than a bed with landscape fabric with missing mulch. It is my strong opinion that landscape fabric in a landscaped bed is a contaminant and should be removed. have you ever tried to cultivate a bed that has fabric installed? it is impossible. that said it doesen't mean your use of it is wrong.

I use allot of landscape fabric it does have its uses but I never put it in landscaped beds I use it when installing dry wells, water features, back filling hard scape, wrapping drainage pipe or installing french drains or when you want a soil barrier from the gravel. It is also on the floor of my green house.

Johnny test
08-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Landscape fabric appeals to people because it seems to solve the weed problem permanently it doesn't. The fabric prevents herbaceous ground covers and bulbs, from rooting as it grows and you wind up with so many holes in it that youíve destroyed the integrity of it as a weed barrier anyway- temporary as it may be. Any kind of non-biodegradeable landscape fabric or plastic that keeps weeds down also interrupts the soils life cycle by reducing o2 levels and prevents everything but water like fallen leaves or mulch from adding organic matter to your soil, leaving behind a hardened, dead zone where plants struggle to survive. Landscape fabric has a short effective lifespan as a weed barrier anyway (yes weed barrier can last ten years) but only effectively suppresses weeds for a year at best. Hardly a good investment in large landscaped areas. Properly mulched beds will suppress weeds so why the fabric. Their is nothing more ugly than a bed with landscape fabric with missing mulch. It is my strong opinion that landscape fabric in a landscaped bed is a contaminant and should be removed. have you ever tried to cultivate a bed that has fabric installed? it is impossible. that said it doesen't mean your use of it is wrong.

I use allot of landscape fabric it does have its uses but I never put it in landscaped beds I use it when installing dry wells, water features, back filling hard scape, wrapping drainage pipe or installing french drains or when you want a soil barrier from the gravel. It is also on the floor of my green house.

Point noted

bonzo1012
10-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Yeah plastic should not be installed by pros if the customer wants edging push the alluminum edging. Comes in black and alluminum colors. Very durable and bends nicely around planting beds.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-02-2010, 02:41 AM
I agree with the rest, I try to sell them on trenching rather than the plastic stuff. It looks terrible.

georgiagrass
10-02-2010, 07:45 AM

ditto ditto ditto. We use fabric under dry creek beds or rip rap drainage areas, basically areas where we are installing rock, gravel, etc.; never in beds.