PDA

View Full Version : lawn installation

ygim
08-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I have a customer who killed his front yard (over fertilized) Now all that is there are huge ground wasps and lots of them. He wants me to put a new lawn in for him. I have an idea what to do but don't know where to start or how to price it?
Any help would be appreciated.

Johnny test
08-12-2010, 07:38 PM
I would install sod. Only because that's the only experience I have. In this kind of heat can you hydro-seed and expect it to take? I don't know.

ygim
08-12-2010, 07:41 PM
How is sod when the ground isn't level. How many inches of topsoil under the sod?

Johnny test
08-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Honestly, I don't know. I have only done a few installs and each time it was a new subdivision and on fresh topsoil..

knox gsl
08-12-2010, 07:46 PM
1. Find the square footage of work area.
2. Get cost of skid steer and harley rake for amount of time you will need it.
3. Determine the amount and type of grass plus delivery.
4. Figure amount of time for you and employees.
5. Make sure you are right on all you estimates.
6. Add in appropriate markups.
7. Submit bid to customer.

Short version: First get a soil sample to make sure new lawn will not burn up. Then you will need to remove the old lawn with the harley rake or tiller. Have sod delivered to site and then get started throwing in place. Put down lots of water. There are other ways of doing this but this is the most profittable for you and gives the customer an instant lawn.

ygim
08-12-2010, 07:48 PM
cool thanks

Johnny test
08-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I did my sod work in FL. There they had what was called day labor...:-) We had 4 workers laying sod for 8hrs. and paid them 30 bucks cash each legally. You just had to sign them in and out.

ygim
08-13-2010, 06:19 AM
thats crazy