PDA

View Full Version : Sod Installation

Teach123
08-13-2010, 06:49 PM
I will be re-sodding my small front year this fall after a harsh summer. I have been getting estimates all week as to how much it will cost to remove old/dead turf, grade existing soil, and lay need turf. The area to be sodded is approximately 500 sq/ft. I know most of the cost is going to be labor, but could anyone please provide me a ballpark estimate so that I can compare to the quotes I have been given. The sod will be a KBG/Fescue mix. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

bigslick7878
08-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Depends on the prep work involved.

500 sq ft is exactly one pallet, that will run you about $200 with the markup and delivery for materials, and another $75 to lay it.

Sod removal, probably about $200 maybe a little more.

Grade existing what needs to be done? is the lawn not level or do you want it tilled or what?

Teach123
08-13-2010, 10:33 PM
One area, the small area between the curb and sidewalk will need to be leveled. There are lots of little "hills" in that area. The rest of the yard seems pretty good, but the installer told me they'd go ahead and grade it. Maybe he was trying to get more money out of the job, I don't know. But the price quoted was well above what you mentioned above.

Another option is to take out the existing sod myself (the areas of most concern) and simply slit seed it. Any advice on this? Or should I just plan to sod it? The installer said sod would be the only way to get my beautiful lawn back. I am skeptical at this point.

LoweJ82
08-13-2010, 11:37 PM
hey teach, Ill pm you on this since im local to your area.

LoweJ82
08-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Looks like we cant do pms on this site, Feel free to email me @ Lowelandscaping@yahoo.com for my number, I can show you lawns I have personaly installed sod on or completly regraded and seeded, If bid is still open maybe we can do some bussiness.:waving:

knox gsl
08-14-2010, 12:08 AM
With Fescues overseeding and slit seeding are a great choice, be careful and weight all your options. If area is a small strip near the street you will want to level this out, but just the high spots, no need to remove the whole lawn. New lawns require one of two things fast with big money or slow with little money. I personally have alot more time than money.

Teach123
08-14-2010, 01:01 AM
I hear ya! I too have more time than money. I am not concerned with a quick aesthetic fix. I just want a great finished product. I have seen too many lawns sodded and then dug up a short time later. Now, I am sure that was due to lack of care, but seeding seems to be the better choice for less money. I have just been frustrated b/c landscapers have told me that sodding is the only way to get my beautiful lawn back.

How much prep is involved with slit seeding if the existing lawn has many dead and diseased spots?

Smallaxe
08-14-2010, 09:09 AM
If you have dead and diseased spots now, you are very likely to do the same to your expensive sod. If the lco can't tell you ... why... you have dead and diseased spots and what you can do about it, I would keep looking.

starry night
08-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Kill the lawn now with Roundup. Wait two weeks. Scalp the existing dead sod with your lawn mower. Throw some topsoil into low spots or scrape the little ridges with a shovel. Slit seed right into the dead, scalped sod.
Sounds too simple but I think many on this forum will agree that this is not only easiest but also the best way (at this perfect time of year.)

knox gsl
08-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Kill the lawn now with Roundup. Wait two weeks. Scalp the existing dead sod with your lawn mower. Throw some topsoil into low spots or scrape the little ridges with a shovel. Slit seed right into the dead, scalped sod.
Sounds too simple but I think many on this forum will agree that this is not only easiest but also the best way (at this perfect time of year.)

This sounds the most reasonable, may not even need round up if you're using the same type of grass.

Teach123
08-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks guys. I actually read about this method previously and was actually considering this. My dead grass is due to the use of round-up this spring. I hate to admit this being a self-proclaimed "lawn-ranger" but...the previous Fall I accidentally planted Tall Fescue in some spots I was touching up. The gal at the hardware store scooped from the wrong bin of bulk seed. Come spring, the Tall Fescue looked like crap in my KBG/Red Fescue lawn. I brushed Round-up on the tips of the Tall Fescue hoping to kill it off. Well....with RU being non-selective it killed everything around it. So, wouldn't I need to simply just remove those spots with a sod cutter or just till it out, prep the soil and slit seed? You guys have been very helpful so far!

Think Green
08-14-2010, 04:35 PM
yep---even brushing on Glyphosate and accidentally touching the other turfgrass has some nasty consequences. Glyphosate will creep in from the site of contact at least 6-8 inches.
Spray an area the size of an apple and in a couple of weeks, give or take and the dead area will be the size of a basketball.
If you have anything that is green........especially something you love, don't even sneeze and spill any glyphosate.

Smallaxe
08-15-2010, 09:11 AM
I repair dog spots, with a little scratching of the dead turf, using a little rake, then drop seed in amongst the brown grass. No need to remove the old dead grass and reprep the ground. Seed, actually likes the dead grass, for cover.

RigglePLC
08-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Teach,
Weeds and poor germination could be big problems for the next 12 months. For premium results immediately, spend some money. Let the professionals grow the grass at a sod farm. Do what Wrigley Field does--buy sod--best quality you can get--professionally installed. Weed free. Guaranteed. Upgrade your irrigation. Have your new dark green Kentucky bluegrass professionally maintained by a small, but experienced company. Let the pros kill your weeds, and crabgrass.