PDA

View Full Version : cutting pipe for a well "sleeve"

irrig8r
08-13-2010, 08:47 PM
I installed a handful of the Kichler LED accent lights the other day, and the client and I are both pleased with the results.

When I went over last night to make some adjustments, he expressed concern that the gardeners or someone might run into a couple of them where they are about 2 feet out from the house and the plants haven't grown into the area yet. I suggested we place a small boulder (they have others nearby) between the entry path and the first fixture to make it impossible for anyone to trip over.

He requested I do something like well light enclosures, so I picked up 10 ft of 6 inch ABS today to make some... then I realized that I ddn' t have a miter box big enough.

Called a friend with a 14" chop saw, but the specs says that the largest round cut it will make is 5-3/16".

O.D. on the pipe is actually about 6-5/8", and with an angled cut, even more.

Looks like I will have to build my own miter/ jig for cutting these... or does anyone have better suggestions?

S&MLL
08-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Table saw. Or just go to lowes and buy a 12" Lenox sawzall blade.

The Lighting Geek
08-14-2010, 12:47 AM
4" fits better and is easier to cut

Pro-Scapes
08-14-2010, 08:25 AM
if you put up a stop block on the chop saw you can roll the pipe. I have dont it many times with large ABS and pvc for drains. Just be careful. In the field I would just mark it in several locations and draw a line and cut it with either a sawzall or a cordless circle saw. Just be careful because if you pinch it either a handheld tool can come back at you or the pipe can be thrown.

Other options are a bandsaw. My 16 inch delta will cut that if I raise the guide.

Illumicare
08-14-2010, 10:57 AM

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Get a hand saw, preferably a 'back saw'. Draw a line across your pipe on the angle you want it cut. Hold said pipe firmly (here you might need help from your neighbour, so get some beer as an enticement) and move saw in a back and forth fashion, following the line carefully. Clean up and enjoy the rest of the beer.:drinkup:

NightScenes
08-18-2010, 02:13 PM
I use a sawzall