PDA

View Full Version : Whats your minimum in Michigan

Just Cut
08-03-2002, 06:42 PM
I was just wondering what your minimum fee is for mow, edge trim, blow for lawn contractors in Michigan

Expert Lawns
08-03-2002, 08:05 PM
my minimum for a residential lawn is $25.00. you should never go below that. remember, you have to drive to the lawn, drop the gate, get the mower off, get it on the lawn, start it and go.this all takes time and gas. the only time i would go below $25 is if i have several lawns next to each other or in the same neighborhood. then i give group discounts.

what part of michigan? i'm near Flint.

65hoss
08-04-2002, 06:21 AM
My minimum for Michigan would be about $1000. Mostly due to drive time. :p

Sorry couldn't resist. :D

The Mowerdude
08-04-2002, 06:28 AM
Hey Hoss

I'm not even sure you could come out at a thousand.

wriken
08-04-2002, 07:48 AM
I do 2 lawn that butt up to each other, they might total together 8000 sq ft., I charge $15.00 for each one. I'm there maybe 15 minutes. Thats for mow/blow/trim.
Most of my lawns are around the 30-40 dollar amount.

65hoss
08-04-2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by The Mowerdude
Hey Hoss

I'm not even sure you could come out at a thousand.

It would have to be a real tight route with at least 8-10 lawns in the area. :D

nova385
08-05-2002, 12:09 AM
I am in the Fint area (davison) and we get $30-55 for subdivision lawns. $55 is for the older folks that talk your ear off after you are done.

dr grass
08-05-2002, 09:22 AM
i dont go below 25.00. unless there are a few lawns right next to each other and we dont have to drive back to the truck and reload etc... i dont charge people for talking to me. if i have the time i talk to them.if i dont i tell them i gotta get going. oh well, to each his own .....

Shep

SLS
08-05-2002, 10:15 AM
"Talk Time" = Upsale time!:)

"Looks like it's about time to trim those shrubs and freshen up that mulch bed. How about the addition of some nice annuals too?" ;)

Expert Lawns
08-05-2002, 11:41 AM
SLS is right, BS ing with the customers is a golde opportunity. turn it from a negative (waste of time) to a positive (sales opp.)

SLS
08-05-2002, 01:58 PM
Sorry for being off topic (Michigan Minimums) but if I may add one more thing:

I have discovered that some folks do not ask for 'the extras' because there are a lot of guys (and gals) who "just mow".

I cannot recollect how many times I've heard "why, my goodness...I didn't think that you did that stuff. My last few lawn guys didn't do anything besides mow grass."

Trimming hedges, shrubs, and bushes is the first thing I bring to their attention. Most homeowners HATE to do it themselves...at least from my experience...and will pay decent to avoid having to fool with it too.

Just mentioning that you did an 'extra' or two down the street at Mr. Jones house usually does the trick. Gotta keep up with those Jones'...don't ya know! :)

The Mowerdude
08-05-2002, 05:45 PM
I think it was Zig Zeigler who said: "Time spent in front of a customer is never time wasted."

I agree with everyone here who has said that talk time is upsale time. And I've also had many experiences when the customer said: "Wow, I didn't know you did that?!"

Yup....time to make a little more money and at the same time, keep those guys on the crew busy. I hate losing them if I don't have to. But when the summer starts to wind down and dry out, I'm scrambling to find them something to do until aeration and leaves start.

nova385
08-06-2002, 09:10 AM
The time it takes to listen to 5 folks a day (Iam part time) for 20-30 min. each, I would rather be at home listening to my 1&5yr olds.
These folks will normaly till you in the first 5 min. what they want done to the lawn. I dont have any problems getting more work out of them in few SHORT words. Some of these folks do not have anyone to talk to all day long. I just stick it on the bill.

Expert Lawns
08-06-2002, 09:22 AM
hey nova, what part of mid michigan? i'm near flint

nova385
08-06-2002, 09:38 AM
Davison

Runner
08-06-2002, 11:11 PM
$25 minimum here, also. That's for a postage stamp - front only. (why they pay that, I don't know, they say they like "the way it looks.") Anyway, Mt. Morris area, here. So, when are we all going to have breakfast?:)

SLS
08-06-2002, 11:44 PM
Mt. Morris, eh?

The wifes grandmother was from Mt. Morris. Her parents had a farm up there. Their name was Groshon. There are still some of them up there. The wife and I were up there looking the farm over back around 1994 or 1995 but we cannot recall the name of the road it was on. We were returning to Detroit from a daytrip up to Frankenmuth (Zender's chicken...yum, yum!) and decided to investigate. We drove around Mt. Morris for several hours until we found it. Nice place...reminds me of some of the smaller towns here in Tennessee...nice folks. :)

stick9
08-07-2002, 08:00 AM
Zenders Chicken (Ok, you're making me a bit homesick -- that stuff is amazing) .. and that Christmas Store .. which i have dubbed "The most boring place on Earth." Ahhh .. to be up in Michigan again ... Nah. I think i'll keep this Florida climate.

StiCk-nine

Expert Lawns
08-08-2002, 10:38 AM
zenders chicken cannot be beat. and those butter noodles. ohhhhhhh man. Bronner's IS the most boring place on earth. hah

nova385
08-08-2002, 10:50 AM
You won't catch me eating up there after they got busted 2 times reserving Chicken that others did not eat.

The owners must be crazy- the price of yard bird can't be more than $2 when you buy 'em 1000 @ a time.
People are lined up to eat that stuff- If they only knew.
This thread sure got off subject so I'll shut up-

The Mowerdude
08-08-2002, 03:07 PM
We've got a chinese restaurant here in Nashville that has been closed down several times because the health inspectors keep finding dead cats hanging up in the walk-in.

And we thought that stuff was chicken on a stick. :eek: