PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Have Experience Installing EP HENRY Cast Veneer Stone?

westernmdlawn
08-14-2010, 03:34 PM
I have a client who is asking us to install cast veneer stone onto her existing house foundation (painted concrete blocks).

I have done some research with the EP HENRY cast veneer stone line and installation guide, it seems like it isn't too difficult. I have never done any mortared masonry work before. I really want to learn though, so I am trying to decide if this is too difficult for a novice to attempt or not. I though there may be a chance I could install it properly since it is "easy to install" according to EP HENRY.

What do you guys suggest? Any tips, tricks, etc.?

Thanks!:drinkup:

westernmdlawn
08-15-2010, 10:11 AM
bump bump....

Bru75
08-15-2010, 06:08 PM
You might want to pass if you have no experience with mortared work, It just depends on your ability to research and learn quickly.
If you feel confident that you can do it and don't mind taking the risk I say go for it.
If you do, I suggest reading as much on the subject as you can before starting, study examples of good stonework (real stonework because that's what you want it to look like when you're finished), pay close attention to how the corners and joints are done (inconsistent joint widths will ruin the look of the finished job), get the foundation surface perfectly clean (you might have to grind off the paint), avoid long vertical joints, and follow the manufacturer's instructions to the letter.
It also depends on your relationship with your customer, be up front that this is your first attepmt as they are also taking a risk on you.
You might want to look into other manufacturers as well, there are a lot of options and prices and quality vary widely.

BOEpavers
08-16-2010, 10:09 AM
We have done EPH CVS and it is no different than any other veneer stone. Not difficult to do but like everything there are many things to consider. As previous poster said either the paint will have to come off or you'll have to install mesh and a scratch coat to give the mortar a good surface to adhere to - I'd vote for the mesh/scratch coat. Temp and humidity have a lot to do with the difficulty as well - affects how quickly the mortar dries. Keep both the stone and the surface damp but not wet. We just did the foundation on our daughter's house and the front was in full sun from 7am til 2-3pm and this was during the period of 95-100 degree/100% humidity that we had in July - Brutal working conditions. If you decide to do this find an area close to the foundation to lay out the stone on the ground so you can pick easily, don't try to work out of the crates. We always rough sort by height of the stone, i.e. an area for 2" tall stone of all lengths, 4", etc. Makes finding what you need easier. Dry stack look is done differently than mortared and each method has its challenges. If this is your first veneer stone job you'll probably underestimate the time it will take you. Good luck, and if your adventurous and a quick learn and good with instructions go for it.