PDA

View Full Version : New truck

mowerbrad
08-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Well, I think my truck finally took a sh** on me. Just today I was driving down the highway and as I'm crusing at 60mph, the tranny started to slip as I'm going. The engine was maintaining its rpms fine, but it just felt like the transmission would slip every so often. I drove about 20 minutes one way on the highway, it only acted up twice. On the drive home, it acted up twice again. Just before I turned onto the road to head back to my house, the transmission continusly felt like it was slipping. So I drove it straight to my mechanic's shop to drop it off. About 2 miles from my mechanic's shop the truck drove like crap. It pretty much felt like I took it out of gear and put it back into gear several times. I think that if I drove it any longer, the transmission wouldn't even engage.

My truck is just not very reliable and I will not be spending the money on a new transmission. So I started searching online for my new truck. Its between a duramax and a cummins.

Any thoughts on either of these trucks. Both trucks will be 04 and newer, extended cabs or crews and 4x4's. I really like the dmax's but I'm open to all opinions on the DURAMAX and CUMMINS.

I need opinions fast, if my truck comes back with report I'm expecting, I will need a new truck SOON!!

Junior M
08-14-2010, 10:44 PM
No worries with the Dodge trannies after 04. 48RE was one tough ass tranny..

ProTouch Groundscapes
08-15-2010, 09:11 AM
get a dmax.

my personal opinion is that you get a better truck wrapped around a great motor rather than a lesser truck wrapped around a great motor.

-Dalton-
08-15-2010, 03:09 PM
cant go wrong with an 06+ duramax (lbz). 6 speed allison. some 06s were llys but they are the same engine as the lbz with a different tune.

Ozz
08-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Of the two- D-Max/Allison combo.

Newer Dodge trucks suck. Period. The transmissions are crap, the interior's crap and the build overall is crap.

rcslawncare
08-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Gm's will be the better bet. They have a much nicer fit and finish!!

mowerbrad
08-15-2010, 08:37 PM
I have been leaning toward that dmax/allison combo the most but I will consider the dodge cummins. The truck, if it is a dmax, will definately be an LLY...I just can't afford the LBZ's (as much as I would like one).

I haven't really looked at the dodges in person much, so I don't know much about their actual quality. I've heard their trannies are pretty good in the 04 and newer ones.

I looked into just replacing the tranny on my current truck, but thats going to cost me probably $2500 +/-. I'll see what my mechanics say tomorrow. But I just don't think I can keep putting money into my truck when it seems to just break down pretty consistantly. I've been having at least one large repair every year. I can't justify spending $3000+ a year on just repairs alone.

Junior M
08-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Of the two- D-Max/Allison combo.

Newer Dodge trucks suck. Period. The transmissions are crap, the interior's crap and the build overall is crap.
the transmissions are not crap past like 02..

After 04, there have been no more problems than Ford or Chevy has had with trannies..

SNAPPER MAN
08-15-2010, 10:16 PM
Every truck has pros and cons. Get what you truely want and be done with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

4 seasons lawn&land
08-15-2010, 10:22 PM
i had a jeep do that. just a computer.

deere615
08-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Dmax all the way...

WH401
08-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Either truck would be a good choice. The Chevy has the edge in the transmission, but the Dodge has the edge in the engine. That said, the Dmax is still a great engine, and the 48re in the 03 - 07 Dodge's is still a great transmission. Take both for a test drive and see what you like.

mowerbrad
08-16-2010, 04:00 PM
i had a jeep do that. just a computer.

yea, my mechanic thinks it could be a computer or electrical issue. He was able to drive it around a little today, but couldn't get the truck to do what it did to me. So they are going to try again tomorrow and see what they can find out.

I'm still planning on a new truck though, since mine seems to just keep having things go wrong on it.

Moto52
08-17-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't know what your so worried about ANY 2004 or newer diesel truck will be better and more reliable then what you got now. the 6.5 detroit is the worst diesel ever made that thing is worse then the 6.0....

mowerbrad
08-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Well, after much research I've decided to go with a chevy 2500HD 6.0L gas. I just couldn't justify spending the big bucks on a diesel. So I'm going to look at a couple 2500's this weekend and hope to buy then too.

Junior M
08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, after much research I've decided to go with a chevy 2500HD 6.0L gas. I just couldn't justify spending the big bucks on a diesel. So I'm going to look at a couple 2500's this weekend and hope to buy then too.
You'll love it, other than the gas mileage. I love mine, but the gas gauge moves as fast as the speedometer. :drinkup:

mowerbrad
08-18-2010, 10:51 PM
You'll love it, other than the gas mileage. I love mine, but the gas gauge moves as fast as the speedometer. :drinkup:

I think I found an 07 that I really like. Its got the 6-speed transmission, so hopefully that helps the MPG's a little bit. I will be going to look at it on saturday. Those 6.0 engines are really nice and the truck itself is pretty sharp looking, so I think this could be the one.

GBD
08-18-2010, 10:59 PM
My dad owns an auto repair shop and works on both chevy and dodge. I have spent a considerable amount of time working in the shop, and I would definitely go with the Duramax. No questions.

jdo150
08-19-2010, 12:08 PM
We have a 6.0l chevy its a good truck mpg sucks, but other then that it is a good truck. The only thing was it had a lemon tranny from the factory but that was replaced under warrenty, and since then its been good has 118,000 miles of towing and plowing on her.