PDA

View Full Version : Round-Up Usage/Nimblewil

Teach123
08-14-2010, 06:21 PM
I am going to undergo a semi-major lawn renovation later this fall. The renovation will include removal of dead/diseased turf in front yard and slit seeding and slit seeding in the back. My question is about the removal of that pesky nimblewil weed that invades my lawn. I plan on spraying roundup on it as there are no known selective controls for this weed. How long will I need to wait after I spray the weed to plant/sew the new seed? Anyone have experience with this type of problem? Can I then simply remove the dead nimblewil or will I need to remove and replace the roundup contaminated soil as well before I plant? In the front, will removing all of the existing turf take care of the nimblewil, or should I spray that as well?

Will P.C.
08-14-2010, 06:33 PM
This isn't in my arena of knowledge, but I believe their are much better ways to do what you are looking to do. I will let the pros come in and take care of this.

Are you a homeowner?

Teach123
08-14-2010, 06:59 PM
The problem is that the pros have nothing to use that will kill it off other than a non-selective herbicide. I have asked. One even told me to cover the patches with plastic wrap and let it bake in the sun and it will eventually die off. I am just skeptical that simply pulling it out or cutting it out with a sod cutter won't get all of the roots and it will return next spring. And yes, I am a homeowner and self-proclaimed "lawn ranger". Key being SELF-proclaimed.

wyoming lawn service
08-15-2010, 12:49 AM
I have the same delima you do Teach. I am not 100% sure I have nimblewill but from all the pictures it appears that I have a lot. Can you post a picture of yours? I was thinking the same thing, spray with roundup and then slit-seed. But I am not sure. I have heard of the plastic idea too, anyone know how long that takes?

Smallaxe
08-15-2010, 09:21 AM
The problem with the plastic idea, it may not get all the root either, depending on how long the sun bakes the soil.
Roundup does not have any residual effects in the soil. That comes from the broadleaf chems. At least that is what we were told at Lesco's.

Teach123
08-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Smallaxe: This is good to know about Roundup. So, I guess I will treat the nimblewil and rake out the dead weeds and root base before slitseeding.

Wyoming: My digital camera went out on me a couple days ago, but I will post a good picture I found online that looks EXACTLY like what I have and I am positive what I have is nimblewil. I do plan on hitting it with roundup within the next few days.

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/images/photos/weeds/medium/nimblewill-300.jpg

wyoming lawn service
08-15-2010, 02:11 PM
This is what I have in my lawn...not sure what it is really. The single weed that is in the picture by itself has very fine hairs on the blades.

Teach123
08-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Yes, this is very similar to mine. Although, mine is a darker green color. Maybe it's the lighting in the pictures or maybe there is more than one type. If it is nimblewil, it has a very shallow root system. I have had luck simply pulling it out and raking up the soil where is was to get most of the roots. However, it seeds in the fall and pops up in new locations in the Spring because the wind and animals disperse the seeds. My thought is that I am going to kill it all off before it turns to seed.

Ahh.the pursuit of the perfect lawn!

wyoming lawn service
08-15-2010, 02:44 PM
I took these early this morning. It was pretty bright out. This stuff is driving me crazy! I have only lived here since the spring. The yard has not been properly maintained the last several years. However I am GOING to get it right! You guys should see all the lawns in my neighborhood. As bad as mine is, it is by far the best! ha makes me cringe. I guess I am going to have to use round up to kill a lot of it off! Stinks because it is in a LOT of the back yard :(

Teach123
08-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah. I am in the same boat. My neighborhood is a nice one, but also an old one. Most people have very old lawns that have not been taken care of. They basically mow weeds and think that "as long as it's green, it's fine". Well not me. Good luck with the RU. I would probably slit and overseed in a few weeks once that weed turns brown. Hopefully the new growth will stay thick and not allow it to return.

RigglePLC
08-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Wyoming and Mr. Teach,
above is a picture of crabgrass.

If its crabgrass--it will stop growing in cool weather, and die at the first frost.Slit seed in Sept. To kill the crabgrass seeds, treat with crabgrass preventer in spring and again 6 weeks later.

Better still, call an experienced pro from a small, but highly experienced lawn care service. Get an expert identification and professional treatment.

There is a good chance that Roundup would make it worse next year. Roundup does not kill the seed. So if the grass ends up thinner than before, crabgrass would come back worse than before. (Starting about June 1st.)

Teach123
08-15-2010, 10:20 PM
I think what Wyoming has might be crabgrass, but I am 100% sure what I have is Nimblewil. I actually took a clump to an Ag extension office and had a several people identify it. I agree, if its crabgrass, a small service would do the trick. Although, with a little research and work, I am still convinced that homeowners can treat their lawn year round by themselves. Thanks for responding to these posts, I think we all learn from ach other!