PDA

View Full Version : Strange oil leak on Hustler SuperZ

camshaftprelube
08-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi all,

2002 Hustler SuperZ. Owner extremely dissatisfied with the Kawasaki FD731V engines these came with. Apparently, five of them were replaced under warranty.

In any case, the latest engine, with pretty low hours, is leaking oil like a sieve. There is a small hole about an eighth of an inch in diameter in the case underneath the governor arm that oil flows from. It only does this when oil is within the normal range on the dipstick. If oil is at the add mark, it doesn't leak. Is there supposed to be a plug here or something? How do I fix this?

mowerconsultant
08-16-2010, 03:16 PM
I am not aware of there being a hole there, do you have a pic?

Pj

camshaftprelube
08-17-2010, 06:47 AM
I've figured out what it is. It's the drain hole for the water pump. The guy I talked to said he's seen both oil and water come out of that hole. Ordered the seal from partstree, I've got no manual but I think I can figure it out. Anyone have torque specs for the bolts holding the case halves together?

camshaftprelube
08-17-2010, 08:08 PM
I talked to a technician and he explained that it was the weep hole for the water pump. He said that he's seen both oil and coolant exit this hole when the water pump seal fails. Another seal has been ordered, perhaps I'll post pics of the procedure for everyone's benefit.

camshaftprelube
08-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Here's the hole.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8517/kawienginehole.png

mowerconsultant
08-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Ok, we didnt start using that engine until 2005 / 2006 I believe.