PDA

View Full Version : 17 hp kawasaki burning oil

russ and sons
08-15-2010, 01:07 AM
well i tried to be a lawn mower mechanic and tried to adjust my valves. afetr i did so , it was leaking oil into exhaust , now it smokes alot , but intermittently ? any ideas? any quick fixes?

thanks,

Russ

dutch1
08-15-2010, 08:18 AM
Adjusting the valves should not cause an engine to use any more oil than it did before doing so. If you didn't replace the valve cover gaskets you may have some oil dripping on the muffler and it's smoking from the exterior. About the only scenario that I can think of that might cause smoke from the exhaust itself is that you may have dropped something in the head that might be blocking the oil drainback orfice in the head which could cause a backup of oil in the head leaking past the valve guides.

Someone else may have other ideas.

cgaengineer
08-15-2010, 09:37 AM
I think its simply the gasket like the above poster said...the exhaust pipe on the 17 is right under the valve covers...at least mine is.
Posted via Mobile Device

russ and sons
08-15-2010, 10:28 AM
it is definetly coming from the muffler itself, it uses about 1/2 quart a day now.

Russ

cgaengineer
08-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Its coming from valve cover and dripping/leaking on muffler.
Posted via Mobile Device

russ and sons
08-15-2010, 11:30 AM
its not coming from valve cover , it is coming out of the exhaust pipe that is 15 inches away

cgaengineer
08-15-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't see any way that the engine would smoke more after a valve adjustment unless like another poster said and it would be tough to drop something in the head and it not fall out since its a vertical shaft engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
08-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Speaking from personal experience I think the possibility exists that the valve adjustment wasn't done properly?

russ and sons
08-15-2010, 03:55 PM
ok, forgot to mention that i took it to a dealer to have the valves adjusted properly, so that isn't a problem now ,

Russ