PDA

View Full Version : Trucks

OldRedFord
08-15-2010, 02:41 AM
So I am doing some window shopping looking at replacing my Ranger.

Why?

Transmission is acting up. Im getting a whopping 12 mpg towing a 3000 lb trailer full of lawn equipment around. Truck also needs a tailgate handle, power window motor and tires.

I looked at a 2010 regular cab F150 today with a 4.6 V8. Only problem with it is it cant tow over 5500 lbs. The tractor I have access to, to do brush hogging or other work weighs 4000 lbs. Doesnt leave much for a trailer.

It looks like the 3v 4.6 can tow more. But with my usual load of 3000 lbs can that motor do better then the 12 mpgs I am getting now?

Then I looked at a 2011 F250 with the 6.7. Again, regular cab, auto, 4x2. Base trim level. But kinda apprehensive of the new motor.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7l Cummins. Regular cab 4x2 long bed bla bla bla.

Think any of these will give me what I want? I really want to have a auto transmission.

Also all the trucks have 8' beds.

ProTouch Groundscapes
08-15-2010, 10:17 AM
seriously??

if mileage is your issue then get the new 6.7 powerstroke. 20 or more mpg's easy on the highway and around 16-18 combined have been the reports from current owners.

just check out the diesel forums and read up on what current owners have to say. this place is just full of opinions where as the forums you will actually get more specific info.

GravelyGuy
08-15-2010, 12:17 PM
If you want diesel, the 6.7 is pretty awesome for me so far. I was able to get 23+ MPG (crew cab long bed)on the highway yesterday.

If you're going 1/2 ton consider the Tundra. It's the best 1/2 ton by far!

WH401
08-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Another vote for the new 6.7 Powerstroke. I've been a long time Dodge/Cummins buyer, but I really think Ford has the market by the tail these days with the engine/trans/&truck combo, it just can't be beat so far.

OldRedFord
08-15-2010, 11:52 PM
The other angle I am looking at this from is..

Sometimes I am going to go look at jobs where a tractor is needed for brush hogging or whatever. Buddy of mine has a tractor I can use but I need to be able to tow it and the trailer. Tractor is 4000 lbs.

doubleedge
08-16-2010, 03:15 AM
The diesel will never repay itself due to better fuel economy if you consider the extra purchase price, maintenance, and repair cost. On top of that, a super duty truck would be overkill for the application you describe.

The 4.6 3 valve f150 shouldn't have worse fuel economy than the 4.6 2 valve; it has better airflow than the 2 valve 4.6 and has a 6 speed automatic transmission opposed to a 4 speed.

The v6 ford ranger isn't a very fuel efficient vehicle, despite it's size. I have a consumer reports magazine that says it averages 16 mpg in their tests compared to 14 for the 5.4 f150. On top of that, the small engine would struggle more than a 4.6 liter v8 while pulling a trailer.

If you 5000 is the most you ever plan on pulling, and your normal trailer is much lighter, the 3 valve 4.6 should be perfect for you. If you want to leave a little room for a bigger trailer, get a 5.4 f150 and you will probably get 10+ mpg towing a small open trailer. I can not stress enough, however, that a diesel truck will never pay itself off and that it should be only considered if you want to tow 10k+.

hosejockey2002
08-17-2010, 02:32 AM
If you want a new truck I'd go for a 2500 series Chevy with the 6.0 or Dodge with the 5.7 Hemi. The new gas engines don't have as much pulling power as the diesels, but they are much cheaper up front and more importantly you don't have to fiddle around with them to make them run right like the new diesels. I have heard good things about both of Ford's new engines (6.2 gas and 6.7 diesel) but these days you don't want to be a beta tester for a new engine.