PDA

View Full Version : how much?

buysell
08-15-2010, 10:13 AM
I just put down some seed here in north jersey,temps are 80's during the day and 65 at night....I did 1k sqft..tilled till bare soil- put seed and light layer of peetmoss and rolled with empty roller..

Q= watering..i have a timer for the sprinkler to go on every 2 hours for 10 minutes starting at11am ending at say 5pm

Is this to much? to little?...:usflag:

put down ttf

Smallaxe
08-15-2010, 10:25 AM
It is best to keep an eye on it, and be sure it doesn't dry out too much. The peat layer will help.
10 minutes may be a little long of duration and in the hot sun, 2 hours may be a long wait in this heat. Next month overseed the areas that didn't quite take, and the weather will be more forgiving.

buysell
08-15-2010, 04:05 PM
does or will the peat pull moister from the seed if and when the peat begins to dry?
also,does peat moss have weeds in it?

thanks!

Smallaxe
08-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Peat moss forms a protective layer, moreso than pulls moisture from underneath. There can be seeds in any natural product, but hopefully it was taken care of at packaging time.

RigglePLC
08-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Peat moss should not have much in the way of weed seeds. I think you are on the right track. If any standing water disappears in about a half hour--you are OK. However pythium fungus is a big problem in new seed, if weather is hot and water does not drain well. However 2 you did not mention starter fertilizer--you need it. And a turfbuilding fertilizer in 30 days and again at 60 days.

Smallaxe
08-16-2010, 06:52 PM
It is a good reminder about putting grass to bed wet. It needs to be dried, b4 nitefall.
I wouldn't worry about all the N or P, for young seed. If you have decent soil fertility, your seedlings should be fine.
Note the causes for pythium listed here:

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/landscap/pp950w.htm#pythium

"Pythium Blight is most severe with day temperatures of 84-95 F and night temperatures above 68 F. The disease is more severe on heavily fertilized cool-season grasses."

buysell
08-16-2010, 11:50 PM
thnks small axe and riggle:clapping: