PDA

View Full Version : Core aeration vs. "liquid" aeration??

OKSooner
08-15-2010, 09:45 AM
What's the deal with this? I've heard that this liquid aeration product has begun to become popular. In fact, the company that does my weed & fert stuff for me offers it.

How does it compare to real core aeration? What would I tell prospective clients when they ask me about it?

This is my first year offering aeration; there are some things I need to clear up before I go for it and this is one of them.

RigglePLC
08-15-2010, 11:09 AM
To me liquid aeration sounds a whole lot easier--less sweat, safer for my back and for sprinkler heads. No cores to look at, nor mow through. Let compost tea plus 10 million beneficial bacteria and fungi do the work. Follow up with an organic product like "Screamin Green", plus top-quality seed. Done in 45 minutes with time for a diet soda. I am thinking the grass would look just as good after 30 days.

What about it ICT Bill? Do you have a product that would suit this situation?

What are your ideas (at Techterra), Barry?

TopNotchMowing
08-15-2010, 04:14 PM
There's several threads already about this topic. Most say it doesn't work, as many (Aeify Plus!) the active ingredient is ammonium laurel sulfate, soap. Most say there's no substitute for core aeration. I'm thinking that it may be useful to use a product like this before the hot and drought hits, more like using it as a wetting agent to help the turf through the stress.

Search on here for Lazyman or Aerify Plus, those are two of the products I know of for sure, as far as liquid aeration. Also another one is Sepmax, that's for septic systmes but the same company offers a liquid aeration.

bigslick7878
08-15-2010, 06:25 PM
LOL they have "liquid" everything now!!

Aerate, dethatch and pretty soon liquid mowing!!

All these products are worthless. There is a sucker born every minute.

JoJo1990
08-15-2010, 08:16 PM
There is no liquid counterpart to pulling a 3" core of soil and placing it on top of the turf. A liquid cannot relieve soil compaction as pulling a core can. I think they market the liquids to break up thatch which somehow they consider aerification.

turfcobob
08-16-2010, 10:16 AM
There is no replacement for the mechanical manipulation of the soil. Core Aeration does much more than just loosen up compaction. It provides a pathway for oxygen to go down and gass to escape the depths below the initial top that is compacted. This passageway stays open for weeks as the soil moves and finally closes the hole. Core aeration pulls up plugs of soil that lay on top of the thatch layer and break up slowly working into the thatch helpiing to break it down. Then there is the core of thatch that is removed allowing access to the bare soil once the hole closes, which takes a number of weeks depending on the soil type. Much more happens than just compaction relief.

phasthound
08-16-2010, 04:29 PM
For best results; core aerate, then add organic matter and/or soil inoculant.

Smallaxe
08-16-2010, 07:28 PM
In the final analysis, what we are talking about, is a turf that allows water and air to penetrate to the soil surface. Then a soil surface that allows water and air to perculate through a sensible soil structure. Thatch is so hydrophobic...
How that structure builds has a lot to do with the texture, sand or clay, and SOM, Soil Organic Matter, that provides environment for microbial activity.
I believe Barry is correct, in that both, will compliment one another.

phasthound
08-16-2010, 08:21 PM
In the final analysis, what we are talking about, is a turf that allows water and air to penetrate to the soil surface. Then a soil surface that allows water and air to perculate through a sensible soil structure. Thatch is so hydrophobic...
How that structure builds has a lot to do with the texture, sand or clay, and SOM, Soil Organic Matter, that provides environment for microbial activity.
I believe Barry is correct, in that both, will compliment one another.

And over time, core aeration may not be needed as increased microbial activity will do the job.

jonthepain
08-17-2010, 08:37 AM
How does it compare to real core aeration?

Some time back I bought a liquid blown head gasket fixer.

Still have a blown head gasket, but it fixed the fifty bucks that I had burning a hole in my pocket.

Smallaxe
08-17-2010, 09:34 AM
And over time, core aeration may not be needed as increased microbial activity will do the job.

Agreed. :)

JoJo1990
08-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Some time back I bought a liquid blown head gasket fixer.

Still have a blown head gasket, but it fixed the fifty bucks that I had burning a hole in my pocket.

Agreed! :) (And hilarious)

While I agree the two may compliment eachother (core aeration and an innoculant) they are still two separate operations. If we are only talking about reducing or keeping the thatch layer in check, then I agree with that statement.