PDA

View Full Version : DoveTail Measurements NEEDED!

flatlander42
08-15-2010, 11:19 AM
I need help on how long and steep to make the dovetail. I have room for a little less than 13' of flat deck space before the dovetail. I just need to know what is acceptable for how much can/should stick out behind the wheels. I was kinda thinking ~5', but I wanted to know what you guys with dovetail trucks measured out to.

Thanks for any help/input!
Nathan.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk198/masternate42/VanTruck-1.jpg

flatlander42
08-15-2010, 11:59 PM
any suggestions from the evening crowd?

modedicebox
08-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I have a 16ft flatbed with 4ft dove on my Mits. Fuso.

flatlander42
08-17-2010, 01:56 PM
I have a 16ft flatbed with 4ft dove on my Mits. Fuso.

A few quick questions for you if you don't mind....:waving:
How Far back from your rear tires is the end of the bed?
Can you measure from the Ground to the top of the dovetail for me?
What is the length of your ramp?
And, could you post up a pic of your truck from the side?

Thanks for any more information!

That is the main problem that I have in my head. If you look around even at campers, the end of the camper is WAAAAAY behind the rear tires....sometimes even 8-10'. I don't want to be dragging tail over every dip and bump in the road.

modedicebox
08-17-2010, 02:19 PM
A few quick questions for you if you don't mind....:waving:
How Far back from your rear tires is the end of the bed?
Can you measure from the Ground to the top of the dovetail for me?
What is the length of your ramp?
And, could you post up a pic of your truck from the side?

Thanks for any more information!

That is the main problem that I have in my head. If you look around even at campers, the end of the camper is WAAAAAY behind the rear tires....sometimes even 8-10'. I don't want to be dragging tail over every dip and bump in the road.

I will as soon as get to the shop today.

flatlander42
08-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Great! Thanks

modedicebox
08-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Ok I have 59" from the rear axle to the start of the dove
56" dove, 62" ramp and 20.5" off the ground. Hope this helps

flatlander42
09-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Ok I have 59" from the rear axle to the start of the dove
56" dove, 62" ramp and 20.5" off the ground. Hope this helps

Do you have any pics of your truck?

I am going to begin to build my dovetail here soon, and would like to compare measurements of as many trucks as I can.

Anybody else have any input?

seabee24
09-14-2010, 09:59 AM
i would avoid having a ramp slope of greater than 5" or rise for every 1 foot of run. from what i have seen and used, any ramp bigger than 5 feet long is too had to lift unless you have an assit, or it folds in half.

so -- i would figure out what your deck height will be - becasue you cant change that too much, then working the math backwards, figure out how long the dove tail needs to be so that you are less than 2 feet off the ground at the end of it. that will determine the lenght of yoru dove tail... then from there you can plan on what you need to park on it to figure out deck lenth

flatlander42
09-14-2010, 10:44 AM
My bed height is 39" right now.

I was thinking about 5' for the dovetail length, but I am having a hard time trying to decide what is an acceptable clearance from the ground up.

seabee24
09-14-2010, 10:56 AM
my advice would be to get out a peace of graph paper. anything steeper than 5" per foot and you will be scrapping the mower deck on and off each time you load, as well as make it hard when the ramp is wet. so if your att 39" (and i assume you figured that is the top of the deck, and not the top of the frame of the truck) so you need 8 feet of combined ramp and bearver tail at a min. so then its just a matter of how to come up with the 8 feet. 3+5 4+4 its up to you, i tend to make the ramp as short as possible, but then you have to lengthen up the dove tail. if you to do what the angle between the end of your truck and the rear tires to be sure your not too long, or too low. you might be able to park on the beaver tail? depends on your peace of equiptment. how good are its brakes, can you wend a wheel chock on the floor of the beaver tail to help keep the machine in place. If you do park on the beaver tail make sure your ramp is strong enough to hold the mahine from going threw incase of brake failure.

its just planning. remember you have to get on and off the deck height too, so the lower you can make the end of the truck, the easier it might be if you had the ramp up for some reason

flatlander42
09-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Yes, the 39" is the top of the deck. The green piece in the picture is 4'9" long. The ground up to the bottom of that piece is 20". The angel is 18Degrees. I'm still not sure if that looks to steep or not. You can also see the 30" that I chopped off so my dovetail could be a little longer, maybe.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk198/masternate42/CELLPHONEPICS094.jpg

seabee24
09-14-2010, 01:07 PM
i dont think that its too steel , but your departure angle is way too low. you need to shorten the lenth of your bed or else your going to bottom out while driving

or make the dove tail shoter and the ramp longer

flatlander42
09-14-2010, 03:09 PM
So you think the end of the green metal needs to be up a little bit? And I would just have a longer ramp to deal with.

seabee24
09-14-2010, 03:18 PM
i think that departure angle of the truck as you have shown is too low, meaning the angle between your rear tire and a line drawn to the lowest futherest point. around here you would bottom out on the drive way.

I would move that point up 2 feet, either by shortening the bed, or shortening the beaveer tail (and extending the ramp)

flatlander42
09-18-2010, 10:10 AM
i think that departure angle of the truck as you have shown is too low, meaning the angle between your rear tire and a line drawn to the lowest futherest point. around here you would bottom out on the drive way.

I would move that point up 2 feet, either by shortening the bed, or shortening the beaveer tail (and extending the ramp)

I don't think it is any worse than the random "car Hauler" or Camper, hell even the local HandyBus.

My bed is allready a little less than 13'. It goes to the end of the origional van frame. Can't make that any shorter. And if I have to make the dovetail any shorter than pictured I may as well just use some huge ramps and forget the dovetail all together....Hell, beats me. That's why I am trying to get some input!

flatlander42
09-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Here are some examples of long and low tail ends......

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk198/masternate42/4KLC4J1U38J801794_068_LG.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk198/masternate42/s20ls200120446.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk198/masternate42/B2rQL9QEGkKGrHqQOKjEODvQjBMjYgRKIm_12-1.jpg

From the looks of it, Mine should be CLOSE to looking like this last one. Once again, w/o measurements I'm just guessing.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk198/masternate42/user47012_pic1221_1240190577.jpg