PDA

View Full Version : stihl hs 45 clutch removal

extreme lawn care
08-15-2010, 12:30 PM
how do you remove the clutch on a hs 45? i know that it unscrews but how do you keep the crank from spinning and what do you turn the clutch with?

ohiohunter
08-15-2010, 12:46 PM
You are going to need a piston stop(goes in spark plug hole to stop motor) and a clutch tool bolth u can get from your local Stihl dealer

extreme lawn care
08-15-2010, 01:05 PM
k thank you

dutch1
08-15-2010, 03:12 PM
You can use recoil rope pushed in to the spark plug hole for a piston stop. Of course you have to make sure the piston is near TDC, either past or before depending on what direction the clutch must take for removal. I've never had a problem removing the clutch with a brass punch and hammer. Most clutches have an arrow designating the direction for removal or installation--one good rap normally will loosen them.

GlynnC
08-15-2010, 05:35 PM
You can use recoil rope pushed in to the spark plug hole for a piston stop. Of course you have to make sure the piston is near TDC, either past or before depending on what direction the clutch must take for removal. I've never had a problem removing the clutch with a brass punch and hammer. Most clutches have an arrow designating the direction for removal or installation--one good rap normally will loosen them.

This method works great--just stuff some rope into the spark plug hole, then turn pistion tight against it--just be sure to keep some rope hanging out so you can pull the rope back out!!