PDA

View Full Version : Weed ID..pictures

wyoming lawn service
08-15-2010, 02:21 PM
I live in southern Ohio and need help identying this weed. It is in a lot of places in the back and side yard.

Is in larger clumps, seems to have shallow rooting as it is easy to pull it straight out. Up close, there are fine hairs on the blades. I want to overseed with a slit seeder beginning of Septermber but need help getting rid of this first.

\http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=196842&stc=1&d=1281895831

Here are more:

Thanks

Chugbug
08-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Looks like crabgrass

wyoming lawn service
08-15-2010, 03:42 PM
I sure hope so. Any tips for killing it before I overseed this september?

phaessler
08-15-2010, 04:45 PM
I too would concur on "crabgrass". Trimec Plus, or any postemergent with MSMA would do just fine.
My experience with slit seeding and crabgrass is that if its not densly populated your better off spraying , waiting for it to discolor and spend the time pulling the big clumps. If you look you will find tubular stems with in the "crab", they will contain the helicopter looking seed head. Slit seeding and cutting that in will not be good come next year, and using a preemergent might hurt the germination of the slit in seed, just my opinion of course...

Pete
:usflag:

bigslick7878
08-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Crabgrass.

Spray it with round up nothing else will kill it this late in the year and at that stage of maturity.

It needs to be destroyed.

Chugbug
08-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Spray it, it will die off in the winter....no pre-emegent will effect any seeding you might do. My yard took a hard hit lush green in the spring, no rain for over a month and a half.....crabgrass took over. Getting ready to spray about mid Sept. then arerate in October.

wyoming lawn service
08-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Sweet! Thanks guys been a great help!
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
08-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Crabgrass. Call a pro. Or just wait for it to stop growing when temps drop to about 60. Fertilize when crab stops growing to boost your good grass. Fertilize again about the time of frost--when crabgrass dies. And again about a month later to build maximum thickness of your good grass. Apply a pre-emergent in April and again in June. This time don't use the cheap stuff. Good luck Wyo!