PDA

View Full Version : Does everyone hate HGTV as much as i do

Budlightshooter
08-15-2010, 06:42 PM
I think they have had a part in ruining it for contractors (sides the guys lowballing). Not that i am struggling right now, i am however sick of HO's wanting 60k landscapes for 10k. I just had it happen again. Hgtv makes it look so cheap but they never add in all the costs associated with the landscape.

When will people wake up and realize this isnt one big game of lets make a deal. No wonder why you have to bump your prices up, just to come down to make them feel like they got a deal....its getting old!

4 seasons lawn&land
08-15-2010, 07:57 PM
HA, I love that Gino's landscape guy! By far the biggest idiot without a clue.

Az Gardener
08-16-2010, 12:28 AM
I don't hate it but I am amused.

Jamie Durey? I feel so bad for those homeowners when he gets done with them. They couldn't keep a patch of Bermuda alive In So Cal and he throws in 400 Monrovia plants that have been spoon fed since they were a cutting and grown in perfect conditions.

I don't know whats worse if they die or live. If they do live the people are going to spend every free moment trimming or removing every other plant because it is so over planted.

They never discuss the irrigation system or maintenance. I rarely even see them installing an irrigation system in background shots, so I'm not sure they even do in all jobs.

Then there is Renovate The Block. They always quote costs when talking about how much something will cost. Not what it will cost to have done. I think they do a better job overall both on design and installation. It just kills me to see them paint every brick house they do.

Meezer
08-17-2010, 05:44 PM
You also have outfit's like Angies List stating as part of their national ad campaign that "Over 80% of contractors will lower their prices by at least 10% in order to get the job"

DeereHauler
08-27-2010, 09:18 PM
HA, I love that Gino's landscape guy! By far the biggest idiot without a clue.

i hate that guy so much. Watching him and his brother is like watching 2 monkeys trying to screw a football.... the only episode i watched, they couldn't figure out how to use a chainsaw to cut down a small tree.

Puddle of Oil
08-27-2010, 10:52 PM
How about Desperate Landscapes? Can anyone say "over planted". I'm more of a lawn maintenance guy not so much landscaping but wow! The homeowners could hardly maintain the lawn before, now they throw in a huge mulch bed loaded with 100+ plants!
Posted via Mobile Device

Az Gardener
01-12-2011, 03:07 AM
I would like to see a show where they follow up 2 years later to see what the jobs look like now.

I have to say now Curb Appeal the Block is off the list. All theses shows frequently have gays on and I'm not homophobic but this week they renovated a gay couples home. It was uncomfortable to watch as they could not keep their hands off each other, then they kissed at the end of the show and my kids were surprised to say the least. I just am not ready to have that conversation with my 6 and 7 year olds or my 9 year old for that matter.

MarcSmith
01-12-2011, 08:05 AM
I was watching Holmes on Homes Holmes seems pretty smart. but in his episode he was talking about how to build a deck properly using joyce hangers and such.... and in the next episode with some american "contractor" he's toe nailing everything...looking like a complete hack...

I do like some of the landscape idea they come up with. but there is no way they calculate ALL the true costs. Since they don't calculate ANY labor

alexschultz1
01-12-2011, 02:45 PM
How about Desperate Landscapes? Can anyone say "over planted". I'm more of a lawn maintenance guy not so much landscaping but wow! The homeowners could hardly maintain the lawn before, now they throw in a huge mulch bed loaded with 100+ plants!
Posted via Mobile Device

haha i was thinking that same thing when i saw this post. "alright lets take a home with a homeowner who is completely ******ed when it comes to manual labor and add some rare exotic bushes to spruce up the place." i want to see the yards a year after the show. hgtv can call it "its time to hire a pro"