PDA

View Full Version : Who trims, you or the help?

shearbolt
08-03-2002, 11:16 PM
I find that I can keep employees if all they do is ride. I trail behind to trim and watch the quality. I like to be the last one on the property.

Ax Man
08-04-2002, 12:02 AM
Some one else did a thread about this recently and it has changed my thinking.
I have gone through my share of mediocre employees over the years, and I am willing to bet that I could have gotten more out of them (and my accounts) if I did all the trimming(Ok, Most)and let them ride.
I have a couple college girls working for me now and they love to ride (Not punny guys) and don't want the grass juice on thier legs like the bosses.
I'm getting more done, and reciepts are up too.
So I think you and I are on the right track.
anyone else?

SLS
08-04-2002, 12:27 AM
Has finding motivated workers become so difficult that the bossman now has to do the hard/hot/dirty work while the paid helpers get paid to sit on their duffs and just ride the $10,000 machines...that WE bought...on the accounts that WE landed?

Since when did the CEO/foreman/supervisor have to start picking up the shovel and digging the ditch himself? It never was this way when I was working for someone else. They sat in the A/C with a phone stuck up to their head while I was sweating my hump off in the pit for my paycheck.

Maybe I'll have to reconsider hiring on help next spring. :cry:

nuthinlikeadame
08-04-2002, 01:24 AM
If your "help" has YOU helping them what the #$%@ good are they? I will go through lazy worker after lazy worker until I find somebody worthwhile. How are you ever going to grow your business if you have to go behind everyone on your crew and do the detail work. That's what I call a dead-end job.;)

geogunn
08-04-2002, 02:21 AM
if it gets cut, I cut it.

if it gets trimmed, I trim it.

and reading the above make me glads it's that way.

GEO

EJK2352
08-04-2002, 02:44 AM
Ditto's geogunn!!!!!!!!!!:) ;) :) ED

The Mowerdude
08-04-2002, 07:18 AM
On our crew, we use 2 men, 2 ZTRs, 2 trimmers and 2 blowers.

It is the most efficient that we've ever run next to a 1 man crew. And neither man feels slighted by the other because each gets the good and the bad and both do an equal amount of work.

It also makes for a sense of teamwork instead of the old boss man/lackey environment.

yardboyltd
08-04-2002, 11:50 AM
I agree.

Mike (MLC)
08-04-2002, 12:29 PM
I have 1 guy working for me and I have him do all the trimming. I figure since I'm the boss, I should be the one who gets to use the mower. Plus, my helper doesn't drive the mower that good and I have a particular way I like to cut. He does much better with the trimming. The only time I help on trimming, is when are at a really big job where alot of trimming needs to be done.

Esby
08-04-2002, 12:48 PM
For me, the help alway does the majority of the trimming. I didn't dish out the cash for a Lazer Z for someone else to ride it. I've worked hard in the past so I can take it a little easier now.

KLMlawn
08-04-2002, 12:53 PM
I used to do all the trimming as well as a portion of the cutting, then I came across a guy who is experienced and can do just about anything I ask without me having to show or explain the way I like to see things done. Now I do most of the cutting and can watch him while I am cutting and still take it easy and ride the machine .... especially in this heat we all have been having. OK, so I basically have a $10 hr. weedwhacker ... LOL, but everything gets done the way I want it and with him weedwhacking and then blowing, we both get done on a property at about the same time ... even with me going up to the door and talking to the customer for a minute.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
08-04-2002, 01:45 PM
Sometimes i cut and other times i trim. And some days I'm at home making calls doing billing etc. My workers can do everything with or without me around with the exception of the business end. but who wants guys to run that part anyway.
Travis

kris
08-04-2002, 02:01 PM
Nuthin and SLS have it right .... if you have to do it all yourself then fire them .

Turfdude
08-04-2002, 03:11 PM
I prefer to run a trimmer to mowing (whenever I have to do that type of maintenance). The finish work makes/brakes most jobs as it is here that the attention to detail is noticed. Most any laborer can mow straight lines. I have one worker who trims all the time as he too is very good at it and a lot of the other guys prefer the standers/rider.

Bob

rodfather
08-04-2002, 03:38 PM
I insist on one rule...

...you are responsible for whatever trimming is required wherever you have mowed. If myself and another guy are on a large property mowing, how do I know what he couldn't get with the mower and thus, needs to be trimmed? He knows better then I do cause he covered that area.

Secondly, doing it this way leaves alot of the "finger pointing" out. If you mow it, you trim it too...nuff said.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-04-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
If you mow it, you trim it too...nuff said.
That's the way it should be done.

But over the last few years I haven't touched a trimmer much.

That's what I pay some one else to do.

Trim what's that?

Evan528
08-04-2002, 04:55 PM
I have not busted my a** in the past to be doing the grunt work at this point while my employees do the cushy work! there has got to be an advantage to being the boss... not so you can do more physical work then your employees!

Expert Lawns
08-04-2002, 05:20 PM
can't afford to pay anyone to trim yet. can't wait till i can, it'll be a lot more efficient

Sean Adams
08-04-2002, 09:02 PM
I see both sides to this issue and I agree with both. There are some properties where the detail work (trimming, edging, even blowing off) makes all the difference in the world to a client. I think that in the maintenance business, the truly valuable employees are not handicapped to one particular area of service - they should be able to do it all well. This leads back to properly training and advising your employees. But yes, taking a ride when it's 90+ degrees is often times better than having mulch, pebbles, and who knows what else smacking you in the legs, face, and other painful areas of the body.....

awm
08-04-2002, 10:51 PM
me am da help.:) except for a few elderlys, still able to get out an keep me strait.