PDA

View Full Version : I am Demoing EXmark Lazer HP but makes funny noise

DLS1
08-03-2002, 11:21 PM
I am demoing a 2000 Exmark Lazer HP from a dealer that has 1200 hours on it. Is 52 inch/23 Kaw motor. The acres I have mowed Friday night and today look like a carpet for a yard. Looks just like golf course mowing. One property takes me 5 hours to mow Saturdays with a Sears 44" rider but the Lazer cut it down to 3-1/2 hours and half the land was mowed up to last month with a big bushhog mower so I went 1/2 speed or less for that area.

This may be typical for hydo's (I don't have hydro now) but whenever I move one of the wheel driving levers the mower squeaks pretty loud. My wife took it for a joy ride in the back of our 5 acres without the mower blades engaged and you can still hear it from the back of our property. Is this normal on a Lazer HP or a hydro in general? Is hydro or something else going out? How do you tell if hydro is starting to go out?

General Grounds
08-03-2002, 11:56 PM
:blob3: most of my lazer hydro "whine" a little bit but that sounds a little excesive, check hydro fluid.

DLS1
08-04-2002, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the info. It actually is a whine?

65hoss
08-04-2002, 07:11 AM
I have the same mower. My hydros whine also. Its pretty loud, especially when the rpm's are down.

SLS
08-04-2002, 01:41 PM
Being that text (this forum for instance) makes it extremely difficult to know how LOUD loud really is or determine the difference between a shriek, a wail, a moan, or a whine...

...may I suggest that a comparison demo may be in order?

See if your dealer has another, or similar, machine and give them a whirl...side-by-side.

My Lazer has a bit of a whining sound, but with my experence with hydro devices, I know that it is in the 'normal' range of things. Like 65hoss said, if the rpm's are low it gets very loud...the lower-the louder...due to lack of pressure. At high rpm's it is normal.

Do a comparison demo and see if the whine is noticably louder on the 1200 hr machine.

If it is loud 5 acres away I would be investigating this further before I bought it. My Lazer's engine masks the hydro's noise at much closer distances.

Good luck ....and have fun doing the demos! :)

LAWNGODFATHER
08-04-2002, 07:21 PM
It is normal to whine, but it should almost disapeir with the blades on and the engine running at full rpm's.

If the engine rpm's are not at 3650 it will whine a bit more.

May just need a going over, or could be a problem, have the dealer look it over.