PDA

View Full Version : Dethatch Or Aerator Before Labor Day Party?

DieselMDX
08-16-2010, 06:55 AM
I am trying to get my lawn in tip top shape for my annual LD party Sept 4th but have a HUGE thatch problem. My grass is still green but the thatch is deff an eye sore. I Will be using a dethatch rake or gas powered aerator this week, can I get my grass back to looking healthy by then?

Should i worry about sprouting new crabgrass?

thank you

JoJo1990
08-16-2010, 06:59 AM
A core aerator isn't going to get rid of your thatch problem and you will see the cores left behind. A power rake or de-thatcher will take care of that problem and if you clean up the thatch you should be fine for your party.

nepatsfan
08-16-2010, 07:47 AM
I am trying to get my lawn in tip top shape for my annual LD party Sept 4th but have a HUGE thatch problem. My grass is still green but the thatch is deff an eye sore. I Will be using a dethatch rake or gas powered aerator this week, can I get my grass back to looking healthy by then?

Should i worry about sprouting new crabgrass?

thank you
Aerating is a long term solution for helping to minimize thatch. I doubt that you will be able to get your lawn back into shape in less than 3 weeks unless you rip it up and sod.

DieselMDX
08-16-2010, 07:56 AM
i already have sod that i put down 4 years ago so that is not an option

last year i aerated and it looked the best yet but we had a TON of rain last summer

but this year it has been very hot and I am dealing with the thatch problem

Smallaxe
08-16-2010, 09:24 AM
I would rake until you like the way it looks, or topdress with 1/4 inch of good compost. Aeration can look bad for a long time, depending on your soil.

turfcobob
08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
IF it were my lawn with 3 weeks to show time and a visible thatch problem, here is what I would do. Get a good quality Vert i cut machine. One with good fixed blades on at least 1.5 to 3 inches apart. 2 inches would be ideal. Mow the lawn shorter than normal, do a one pass vert i cut and vac up all the debris. Fertilize with at least a N of 15 or better and water the lawn deeply every other day. Move your mower height up to at least 4 inches to let the grass blades fill and cover. Here is what you are doing. The first short mowing the the vert i cut are damaging the grass plants. The slices the vert i cut makes is clearing a path to the soil for quick water / fert movment. When you put down plenty of food and water the plants will recover quickly to compensate for the damage. You move your mower height up to allow for more leaf growth to give extra cover.

DieselMDX
08-16-2010, 10:31 AM
IF it were my lawn with 3 weeks to show time and a visible thatch problem, here is what I would do. Get a good quality Vert i cut machine. One with good fixed blades on at least 1.5 to 3 inches apart. 2 inches would be ideal. Mow the lawn shorter than normal, do a one pass vert i cut and vac up all the debris. Fertilize with at least a N of 15 or better and water the lawn deeply every other day. Move your mower height up to at least 4 inches to let the grass blades fill and cover. Here is what you are doing. The first short mowing the the vert i cut are damaging the grass plants. The slices the vert i cut makes is clearing a path to the soil for quick water / fert movment. When you put down plenty of food and water the plants will recover quickly to compensate for the damage. You move your mower height up to allow for more leaf growth to give extra cover.

thank you very much for reply

what is a vert cut machine?

why cant u private message people on here lol