PDA

View Full Version : Kohler oil filter: new one shorter..it matter?

mowisme
08-16-2010, 02:32 PM
I changed the oil in my sthm today. It is older model with a CV20hp Kohler. The new filter I was given is Identical to the old Kohler filter except 1- 1 1/2 inches shorter in length..This matter? I think I had the shorter one on another Kohler once and it was a 25hp..any concern on this?

dutch1
08-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Shouldn't be any problem. The shorter one is usually used on units that have clearance issues that won't accomodate the longer filter. Regardless of what is on a kohler, I usually use the longer one if it will fit as it has additional filtering media.

mowisme
08-16-2010, 04:24 PM
thanks Dutch..I'll leave it be.

joe crumpler services
08-22-2010, 11:01 PM
I always try to use the highest capacity filter that will fit my machine. Baldwin & Wix jobbers have alternative filter lengths listed for the same thread patterns/gaskets for most of their filters.
BTW...my 4cyl Camry & the 20HP Kawasaki on my JD345 use the same exact filter. Aren't the Japanese engineers clever? LOL

MS_SURVEYOR
08-23-2010, 07:51 PM
I always try to use the highest capacity filter that will fit my machine. Baldwin & Wix jobbers have alternative filter lengths listed for the same thread patterns/gaskets for most of their filters.
BTW...my 4cyl Camry & the 20HP Kawasaki on my JD345 use the same exact filter. Aren't the Japanese engineers clever? LOL

I have that thing going on with my 88 Toyota truck and 99 16 hp Vanguard.

Yea they are! Makes it easy!