PDA

View Full Version : what would you respond to this email?

lawn
08-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Hello,
Thanks for the invoice but I must say I am puzzled. At my other house on Cape Cod I also have a lawn service and during the high summer they reduce their visits to every 2 weeks – why? Because there’s nothing to do. I watched one day when our lawn was serviced in Boston and the man just walked around a bit, blew a few things off the driveway and left. Obviously the grass is now dormant so there is nothing to cut. Am I missing something here?
Best regards,

xxx

Response:
Hello Mr. xxx,

Usually services are performed on weekly basis unless the client requests to cut the grass every other week in the hot summer.

If you like me to schedule your yard every other week in August, I will be happy to do that for you. Just let me know.
Thanks,
xx

HIS RESPONSE:

Hi xx,
I was just thinking about your reply and realized that you had not addressed one issue which was implied. If the grass was in fact not mowed during some of the recent visits, what “services” were supplied for the $40 charge?

Thanks,
xxx

What would you respond to him? we go there every week to maintain the yard, clean, mow or whatever is necessary. What should I say and do?

Please help!

Thanks

MarkintheGarden
08-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Call him up and make him a happy customer!
This guy sounds reasonable and you can probably make him a happy customer without having to bend over backwards.

I am mowing most of my lawns on a ten day cycle right now, as I see it there is no reason to stick to the weekly or biweekly schedule.

GunnPropertyServices
08-17-2010, 12:01 AM
I think you already answered his question with your reply, he is looking for a way out of paying, if it was me i would explain your side further in another email, I would explain to him again how you operate that you visit every property every week and do what ever needs to be taken care of and bill the same amount every time if the grass doesnt grow then you dont cut, you make out a little time/money wise. if its grows more then usally with heavy rains and extra debris in the yard and driveway he makes out (it works both ways) this is the way i try to explain it, works for me most the time,
you already gave hime the option to call ahead of time to cancel for the week, i think thats pretty fair on your part but if you already made the trip i dont see how he can dispute the bill

GBD
08-17-2010, 12:14 AM
I agree with GunnPropertyServices, but what did you agree to do when you started working for him? Did you agree to mow his lawn weekly for $40 and then you just do the clean up and extra work to provide some extra service and? It does sound to me like he is reasonable, but I would do what ever it takes to make him happy, even if it is dropping the $40 charge for the service in dispute. Then I would make sure that you were both very clear with each other what services you provided and when he wanted them done.

wbw
08-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Your pricing is based on your Average time at his house. Some weeks you win, some weeks he wins. Based on weekly service for the entire season. I service swimming pools and give my customers a fixed monthly price for weekly service. In the future address this at the time of sale. Remember you don't charge extra the weeks the grass grows a lot.

nepatsfan
08-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Hello,
Thanks for the invoice but I must say I am puzzled. At my other house on Cape Cod I also have a lawn service and during the high summer they reduce their visits to every 2 weeks – why? Because there’s nothing to do. I watched one day when our lawn was serviced in Boston and the man just walked around a bit, blew a few things off the driveway and left. Obviously the grass is now dormant so there is nothing to cut. Am I missing something here?
Best regards,

xxx

Response:
Hello Mr. xxx,

Usually services are performed on weekly basis unless the client requests to cut the grass every other week in the hot summer.

If you like me to schedule your yard every other week in August, I will be happy to do that for you. Just let me know.
Thanks,
xx

HIS RESPONSE:

Hi xx,
I was just thinking about your reply and realized that you had not addressed one issue which was implied. If the grass was in fact not mowed during some of the recent visits, what “services” were supplied for the $40 charge?

Thanks,
xxx

What would you respond to him? we go there every week to maintain the yard, clean, mow or whatever is necessary. What should I say and do?

Please help!

Thanks
First of all.....did the guy mow the lawn or not....if he didn't actually mow it then I wouldn't charge him.

Another response to clients like this is...What happened in april and may when we mowed and it was two feet high every week and we cut it twice and it took us 3 times as long as it should for 40 bucks, did I charge you extra then? If the grass is dormant it's one thing but if it's growing but not real fast it's another. Tell him that it isn't good to cut off more than 1/3 at a time and other times of the year you cut off half or more, reason being no one wants us to come 3 times a week to cut your grass but just because it isn't 6 inches tall doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be cut. Then I would tell him to take his cape house and shove .....nevermind..don't do that.

lawn
08-17-2010, 09:46 PM
yes we did mow the lawn.

The proposal I gave him states that the service charge is $40 based on weekly basis, every other week mowing will be a different charge.

What bothers me the most is the time that he is making me waste.

Today I left him a message explaining what you guys said, of course I did not mention the one " house in the Cape...." :laugh:

4 seasons lawn&land
08-17-2010, 10:37 PM
not sure u did answer his question... as dumb a question as it was but I woulda said, Ive mowed every week because it needed it. He probably didnt mow because it didnt need it.

mark123
08-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Maybe we should be selling slots in our schedules instead of services. Monthly contracts sound better and better every day.

cbtexas
08-18-2010, 01:20 AM
I assume he agreed to weekly service for a set amount right? Tell him it is like his cable bill. He still has to pay the monthly bill whether he turn on the tv or not. Sometimes we can't really find anything to watch on tv and sometimes we are glued to it. The bill is still the same.

lawn
08-18-2010, 08:23 PM
I assume he agreed to weekly service for a set amount right? Tell him it is like his cable bill. He still has to pay the monthly bill whether he turn on the tv or not. Sometimes we can't really find anything to watch on tv and sometimes we are glued to it. The bill is still the same.

:laughing:Thumbs Up

lawn
08-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Maybe we should be selling slots in our schedules instead of services. Monthly contracts sound better and better every day.

:clapping:Thumbs Up

nepatsfan
08-18-2010, 08:54 PM
how did you make out?

MarcSmith
08-18-2010, 09:01 PM
monthly service the way to go, they key is getting the customer to buy into it... even monthly payments are easy for the clients to budget, and also easy for you as then you know how much money is supposed to come in each and every month.....this also makes it easy on your schedule as there are no "can you skip me this week" calls so they can try save a buck or two...

Lawn Man Dave
08-19-2010, 08:43 AM
In my opinion in a way you did not really address all of the question but he beat around the bush a little saying that the lawn was not cut... just a miscommunication... if you ask me. Hopefully the grass really was cut.

Texas Lawn
08-19-2010, 05:05 PM

I like this example. I know sometimes I wonder why I have cable and sometimes I wonder how I ever lived without it

lawn
08-19-2010, 08:25 PM
In my opinion in a way you did not really address all of the question but he beat around the bush a little saying that the lawn was not cut... just a miscommunication... if you ask me. Hopefully the grass really was cut.

And in my opinion you did not read my post! ha ha :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::dizzy::dizzy:

lawn
08-19-2010, 08:28 PM
how did you make out?

I left him a message at home, telling him that I was leaving him a message at home because I do not have his work number. In the message I told him that we do not charge more when we have heavy rain and in April and May and in the fall etc etc....
Today he sent me an email thanking me for the message and he included his work phone number! believe it or not!LOL :usflag::usflag::weightlifter::weightlifter::laugh::laugh:

MarcSmith
08-19-2010, 08:37 PM
some people just need some reminding as the wet spring was only a few months ago...

Lawn Man Dave
08-21-2010, 06:34 AM
And in my opinion you did not read my post! ha ha :hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::dizzy::dizzy:

No I did :)

rgl1990
08-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Monthly billing is the way to go. You are guaranteed your price for the season each and every month whether you have 4 or 5 weeks in a month. you can budget much better for whole season. Way less phone call about skipping a week or two here and there. Less headaches overall. I switched to this 8 years ago and never had a problem since. We have three crews and 300 hundred houses a week. when you hit a drought your still in business and not worrying about money.