PDA

View Full Version : Blower comparison

scott60
08-16-2010, 11:34 PM
I am looking to buy a new backpack blower for this years leaf season and I am having a hard time picking one. I have narrowed it down to the Stihl BR600, the Echo 755t or the new Echo 770t. I like the Stihl because it feels light, but have heard they have problems. I know the echo 755t is the most proven is the new 770t worth the extra money? And what is a reasonable price for the 770, my local dealer doesn't even have any. Any input or opinions would help. Thanks, Scott

dutch1
08-17-2010, 12:59 AM
I would suggest a demo on any blower you are considering. Buy something that has the performance, positive service history and positive dealer support you desire.

In my experience as a service technician on the Echo, Stihl and Shindiawa lines, I'm not completely sold on the 4 cycle technology until it has been thoroughly proven. I have seen a lot of valve problems in Stihl's 4 stroke line in the last 2 or 3 years.

I have personally owned a 4 stroke Shindiawa trimmer since they arrived on the scene without any problems. I can't vouch for their 4 stroke blowers and I'm simply not familiar with the latest Echo blowers as the dealership that I worked in dropped the Echo line.

Ruben Rocha
08-17-2010, 04:48 PM
This is a loaded question on this site.
First I believe the Echo 755t is no longer in production.
But Dutch's reply on the first line is what you should listen to.
Very first thing is throw it on your back and see how it feels. Then go from there.
Weight, Location of throttle controls. What about dealer support. BLA BLA.
It is a big investment to just buy online somewhere because it is 50 bucks cheaper and find out that you don't like the way it feels,performs. And you can't get warranty repairs.

For me I am sold on echo. But that is because my dealer is great. And they have extended service hours.
I have some sthil but the dealer sucks. And they close so early I can't get there before they close.

ed2hess
08-17-2010, 10:12 PM
I wouldn't buy either one. The Stihl continues to have problems although the company says they have solved the problem. The Echo hasn't been out that long A proven blower is Stihl BR420 it is a straight two stroke adn will last you a long time.

scott60
08-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

scott60
08-17-2010, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't buy either one. The Stihl continues to have problems although the company says they have solved the problem. The Echo hasn't been out that long A proven blower is Stihl BR420 it is a straight two stroke adn will last you a long time.
Posted via Mobile Device

scott60
08-17-2010, 10:32 PM
Is the new Echo 770 a traditional 2 stroke?
It seems quite a bit lighter and flows nearly 100 more cfm than the 755. What changes were made to make these improvements? My local dealer only has the older model in stock. I hate to buy something withou trying it first.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigFish
08-18-2010, 02:13 PM
In my experience as a service technician on the Echo, Stihl and Shindiawa lines, I'm not completely sold on the 4 cycle technology until it has been thoroughly proven. I have seen a lot of valve problems in Stihl's 4 stroke line in the last 2 or 3 years

I concur! Having been factory trained in all of the above, I gotta tell ya, for my money Echo is the way to go! Yeah, good ole two stroke.
I never could get behind Stihl's use of 4 cycle technology in supposedly lightweight handheld tools. What do you gain?? NADA!! Ya still gotta mix oil/gas plus ya got valves/adjustments and timing to deal with! P.O.S.!

gocutthegrass
08-18-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't want to post the same information I already posted in another thread, but let me start by saying that the two Kawasaki KRB750's I have been running for two full seasons have been flawless. Plenty of power, and as reliable as the sun coming up tomorrow. I don't really shop around at this point. I am sold on the KRB750. Prior to running these I ran Echos, and I could pretty much sing their praises as well, but for now I am loving the KRB750's.

The real point of this post is that I must concur with other people who have posted that the Stihl 4Mix engine or whatever it is.........these engines have valve troubles at low hours and various other reasons for excessive down time and Stihl no longer wishes to take responsibility for the shortcomings of these engines. My local dealer tells everyone who brings their blowers and trimmers back that they are using the wrong fuel mixture. I buy the recommended Stihl HP Ultra from him on a regular basis and when my FS90 trimmer died 30 whole days after I purchased it, he tells me I am using the wrong oil. My Stihl trimmers are just expensive paperweights and I would never consider buying the blower until they get that engine straightened out. High priced junk, in my opinion. Well, the engine, at least.

Kawis and Echos = moneymakers, and really, why else are we buying these things?

Threadbare702
08-20-2010, 12:29 PM
The company that I work for only uses Redmax EBZ5100 or Husqvarna 150BT. We do lots and lots of work with blowers. Most of the properties in Las Vegas are switching from grass and thick turf to zeroscape and artificial turf. It just takes too much water to keep grass green here and the Southern Nevada Water Authority really cracks down on wasted water. So there are lots of landscape that's just lots of rock, fake grass, and stuff that traps lots of debri and garbage.

So anyway the Husky and the Redmax are basically the same thing since Husqvarna purchased Redmax (they wanted the Patent on the Strato-charged motor and X-torq design). We run about 20 of these in 100+ degree heat all day long. After about 3 years we sell them and buy new ones with warranties. For the most part they still run fine after 3 years of rolling around the back of trucks and trailers and lots and lots of hours.

Just something to think about.

jricker
09-16-2010, 04:12 PM
very pleased with my pb 770t. you wont be disappointed with it. ton of power good on fuel pretty light and true two stroke just give it a little time to break in. i also have a br 600. wouldnt buy another one as i ve had a lot of problems with it. the echo flat out kicks the stihls ass

hammmerhead
09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
My Stihl backpack and handheld just wont give up. Both are 10+ years old. Granted I dont use them commercially though.

onlythebest
09-16-2010, 06:01 PM
i have both a echo 755t and a br600 in my opinion the echo out blows the stihl. the stihl sounds like cool and all but the echo has more raw power. i am pretty young and haven't used too many blowers before but out of the ones i have used the echo would be my choice. now for the 770, my dealer told me that in his opinion he thinks that the 755 is better for the money than the 770 but that all depends on what the price difference is for you.