PDA

View Full Version : Central Hydraulics vs. Electric over Hydraulics

Axl
08-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Not sure whether this has been beat to death or not but I was just curious what the advantages or disadvantages are to the two different styles of dump trucks (central hydraulics vs electric) as far as dumping capabilty, running salt spreaders, etc.

Is one better than the other?

Gravel Rat
08-17-2010, 01:47 AM
You mean running a clutch pump off the engine ?

A PTO operated system really isn't designed for driving down the road with it engaged.

I have a 12 volt pump on my F-450 my previous trucks and my experience is with tandem axle trucks and PTO hydraulic. I don't like the 12 volt hydraulic pump but it was cheap and does the job.

A clutch pump set up you are looking at 2000 dollars or more if you have a Ford with a torqshift the PTO hydraulic pump for that is 3 grand it is a PTO and hydraulic pump all in one especially designed for the Torqshift.

Now if you have a manual transmission that can have a PTO plan on 1500-2000 for the PTO and another 1000 for the pump then you need a hydraulic tank.

The 12 volt pump set up is the cheapest option at 400-600 dollars but it is slow as molassis but it does the job.

If you want central hydraulics plan on spending 3-4 grand there is no other way of doing it.

LoweJ82
08-17-2010, 01:59 AM
I have a 6speed f350 with a pto plate on side of tranny, not sure whats better, Ive seen some pretty slow pto dumps on some old chevys, and elec on a few different setups,

Ive used dump trailers with a helluva lot more weight than Id carry piggy back on the psd dually, they was 12 volt setup and went up and down pretty quick, even full of concrete. If you dont have a 2nd battery Id get a slave battery for the dump kit.