PDA

View Full Version : Ok...here we go

buysell
08-17-2010, 12:11 AM
Im about to overseed about 30k sqft of lawn: 2 wks or so

1-some shade in front lawn(oak tree,sun gets through though)
2-side section gets scorched with all day sun.. 5k sqft.(perhaps something different for this area from the main seed?)
3- the rest gets about 70% sun through the day
4-irrigation -zero at the moment..wrking on it
looking for:
a-drought resistant
b-medium dark green clr
c-spreadabilty
looking at
1-summerlawn plus
2- T.L.C tall fescue
3-lesco team mates plus
Doing it myself..and what i put down will be a succes or monster disaster!

leaving it up to you guys!!
Thank you in advance!!

Smallaxe
08-17-2010, 10:42 AM
We use a mix of KBG, creeping red fescue and per. ryegrass. That's 3 out of the five chinese brothers. Cultural practices make up most of the lawn care success/failure. Which ever adapts, best will survive, but give them all a fighting chance with good soil, good moisture, good mulch, and good cutting height, at the correct time.

RigglePLC
08-17-2010, 09:04 PM
I like Summerlawn plus
http://www.mtviewseeds.com/DATASHEETS/TitaniumLS.pdf
The second one also sounds good:
http://www.smithseed.com/seed/turf/tallfescue/tlcfescue.shtml

The Lesco seed is also OK, but has a lot of rye in the mix.
http://www.lesco.com/NoCompression/GetData.aspx?Type=ProdResource&ID=8490&.pdf

buysell
08-19-2010, 05:44 PM
im going to go with the teammates or plus..reason being....(and dont hold back to beat me up a little...i need a good kick in the nards to straighten me out when im wrong)accessibility...if i start to run short, i can run to lesco,there 3 miles from me.
i hope im not making a monster mistake. I dont have a clue what color it will be, thats bothersome...and the the part of my yard about 2k sqft gets drilled with all day sun..vigoro ttf that was planted last year is blond at the moment, a section of scotts contatractor mix is dark green and never ever turned brown(same amount of water...which was only rain)
let me know if you guys think team mates has a chance in the all day sun,and will it be ok in partial shade areas

thank you in advance..axe and riggle

RigglePLC
08-20-2010, 05:05 PM
You will be fine. Color will be good if you fertilize it and if weather is cool and rainy. There is nothing unusual about brown dormant grass in dry weather.

However--please do not use the "Contractor's" mix again--that is another name for cheapest possible--it is usually very high in yellow color, cheap "Gulf" annual ryegrass. If it looks good--I am surprized.

Smallaxe
08-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Some of the seed mixes can go as high as 60% of AR, some of it Gulf, and some of it another variety, which ends up being too much cover for the perennial grasses and produces a very thin stand. Typically, best seed grade, has 10-15% AR and varying degrees of the other 3.
These are blended by the criteria, "Sun" or "Shade", or "Sun and Shade" mix. We get the good seed around here from Jay-Mar, but sometimes you find a decent blend in the box stores. If I see a bag of pure KBG I'll grab it, on occasion.

Sean Adams
08-21-2010, 08:42 PM
You guys really know your stuff and that is great to see - the lawnsite.com members are lucky to have such knowledgeable people on this forum.