PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding bermuda for dark green cool season grass

BrendonTW
08-17-2010, 02:02 AM
Annual rye is generally light green correct? Can it be made dark green like fescue with some nitrogen? Or should i use a different annual grass for fall and winter? If so, what kind? I want dark green!

Wolffy5
08-18-2010, 09:09 PM
I would go with perennial rye. You won't find a darker greener grass. If you have a thick dense bermuda stand then you shouldn't have to worry about the perennial rye competing with the bermuda next summer. The bermuda will out compete the rye esecially when temps are favorable for bermuda.

BrendonTW
08-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Will I have a hard time disguising the rye with Bermuda during transition? I keep dark green Bermuda as well. I just don't want it to end up looking like fescue in a Bermuda lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chilehead
08-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Poa trivialis (rough bluegrass) is my cool-season preference for overseeding.

BrendonTW
08-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Dark green? Annual? Perrenial? Texture?
Posted via Mobile Device

Will P.C.
08-18-2010, 10:36 PM
Poa is what they use at the golf course I live in. Only the Tee Boxes are done, but it looks really good. Nice bright green color.

BrendonTW
08-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Gotcha. As I stated though, I'm looking for a dark green.

Wolffy5
08-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Its all about managing the exectations of your customer. You will see a difference in the turf as it is a different grass. The perennial rye will grow faster than the bermuda but as far as disguising it i don't see any problem. As long as you communicate with your customer and they know what you are doing and why you are doing it then they should be satisfied. If your bermuda is thick dense and dark green then you overseed with perennial rye this fall you will have the best yard in the area. It has a narrow, shiny, very dark green appearance.

Merkava_4
08-20-2010, 01:41 AM
You can have perennial rye year round over top the bermuda as long as you
keep cutting the rye high. The bermuda can't take off if it's being shaded by the rye.

If you want to get rid of the rye during the warm season, all you
have to do is start cutting it at bermuda hight and the rye will disappear.

BrendonTW
08-20-2010, 01:57 AM
Rye will look good in this 105 degree weather? And how heigh should rye be cut?
Posted via Mobile Device

Merkava_4
08-20-2010, 04:25 AM
I'm thinking the rye should be cut at least 2 inches high so that it can
maintain it's moisture. I'd cut it has high as the customer would let me.
In the hot whether, rye will burn up quick unless it's kept well watered.

Wolffy5
08-20-2010, 10:38 AM
The rye will not hold up to temperatures over 90. Thats the beauty of it when using it in a bermuda/rye transition. I wouldn't cut rye under 3" in a home lawn. Any lower and your asking for trouble.

BrendonTW
08-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Excellent. I would like to cut it high anyways due to rough terrain.